Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Movie Trivia: Actors Appearing in 2+ Trilogies

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Re: Movie Trivia: Actors Appearing in 2+ Trilogies

Postby Bill » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:45 am

Ah, I must have missed that.

And with Expendables 4 announced, Stallone may be the first to appear in three unrelated tetralogies.

Ice Cube looks promising too, but he's not the performer I had in mind.
Bill

Re: Re:

Postby jbenz » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:14 am

Bill wrote: This actor already has one trilogy, is currently filming his third film in a second trilogy, and is also currently filming his second film in what promises to be a third trilogy. He is, in my opinion, highly likely to be in the third film of that trilogy as well.

Who is this three-ring actor?

Simon Pegg?

Benji in Mission Impossible.
The voice of Buck in Ice Age.
Scotty in Star Trek.

I also just discovered: he is the voice of Unkar Plutt in the Force Awakens. I don't really expect that character to reappear very often, but I do expect Disney to keep making Star Wars movies forever, so... who knows.
jbenz

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:34 am

jbenz wrote:
Bill wrote: This actor already has one trilogy, is currently filming his third film in a second trilogy, and is also currently filming his second film in what promises to be a third trilogy. He is, in my opinion, highly likely to be in the third film of that trilogy as well.

Who is this three-ring actor?

Simon Pegg?

Benji in Mission Impossible.
The voice of Buck in Ice Age.
Scotty in Star Trek.

I also just discovered: he is the voice of Unkar Plutt in the Force Awakens. I don't really expect that character to reappear very often, but I do expect Disney to keep making Star Wars movies forever, so... who knows.

It's not Simon Pegg, but "three-ring" finally clicked for me when you mentioned Star Wars.

Andy Serkis has completed one trilogy (Lord of the Rings), is finishing a second trilogy (Planet of the Apes), and will probably have a third trilogy (Star Wars 7-9). IMDb suggests that he may have a Tintin trilogy as well.

Simon Pegg can also claim the Cornetto Trilogy, but it isn't a trilogy for the purposes of this thread.
Neel Mehta

Re:

Postby jbenz » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:40 am

Neel Mehta wrote:
It's not Simon Pegg, but "three-ring" finally clicked for me

Amazing.
jbenz

Postby Bill » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:14 am

I did mean Serkis (obviously) but Simon Pegg is a nice find. And if he's in the other two Tintin movies, he'd have a fourth trilogy.
Bill

Postby grodney » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:39 am

Kung Fu Panda 3 is released this week, with the following getting a trilogy:

Jackie Chan, mentioned up-thread for Rush Hour and Police Story.

Seth Rogan will be one Neighbors short after Neighbors 2 comes out this year?

Angelina Jolie needs another Lara Croft, I think.

Is Dustin Hoffman a Focker short?

I think this makes Double Trilogy for David Cross with the Alvin and the Chipmunks franchise.

Lucy Liu is one Charlie's Angels short, and one Kill Bill short, but has appeared in many Tinkerbell movies straight-to-video.

Jack Black's first trilogy?
grodney

Postby grodney » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:30 am

Liam Neeson for Taken and as the voice of Aslan in the Chronicles of Narnia.

Famke Janssen for Taken and in 5 of the X-Men films.
grodney

Postby jbenz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:48 am

I love it when this thread becomes active again.

Here's a callback to the very first post: Harrison For is doing sequels again. There's a second Blade Runner coming out in roughly a year. Will they make a third?

Also, let's talk about Now You See Me 2. I definitely did not predict a sequel for that film. If they make a third, it could be big for this thread. It stars these people:

Woody Harrelson (Hunger Games, and he's getting into the Planet of the Apes movies now)

Jesse Eisenberg (Justice League, and two Rio movies)

Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter)

Mark Ruffalo (Hulk)

Michael Caine (I can't even count right now)

One more thought. Mark Whalberg isn't in any trilogies but he loves pairs:
2 Transformers
2 Planet of the Apes
2 Teds
2 Daddy's Home

Meanwhile I'm sitting at home waiting on that Three Kings sequel.
jbenz

Postby gwynn1984 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:50 pm

I think the Three Kings sequel was called Four Brothers. Three Kings was itself a sequel to Two Guns, which was, of course, the follow up to Lone Survivor.
gwynn1984

Postby jbenz » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:16 pm

In that case I am waiting for Cinco de Marky Marko.
jbenz

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:10 pm

I was thinking that this might be a good time to bring back this thread, and maybe make an even shorter list of actors and actresses who have done THREE (or more) trilogies (or more), based on what has been compiled upthread along with regular updates from an uncreative and franchise-obsessed film industry.

So far the suggestions have been dude-heavy. A few days ago it occurred to me that, should things go according to schedule, an ACTRESS will have qualified for this list by the end of the year. She has made three different film series with at least three films in each, and as you will see, she did so in a most impressive fashion.

All three film series are live-action and all were released in the 21st century. The actress plays a supporting role every time, but while she is close to John Cho in age, she is older than the leading actress in each series.

Who is she?
Neel Mehta

Postby gwynn1984 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:18 pm

Interesting, Neel. You could make a lot of money betting on the answer to this one. And, if I've got the right actress, you'd have somewhere to put it ;).
gwynn1984

Postby Bill » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:33 pm

gwynn1984 wrote:Interesting, Neel. You could make a lot of money betting on the answer to this one. And, if I've got the right actress, you'd have somewhere to put it ;).

Perfect.
Bill

Postby jbenz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 am

Neel Mehta wrote:...maybe make an even shorter list of actors and actresses who have done THREE (or more) trilogies (or more), based on what has been compiled upthread...

I agree. Here is my best summary.

Actors and actresses appearing in three or more trilogies, all live-action. No voice acting.

John Cho
Star Trek
American Pie
Harold & Kumar

Sylvester Stallone
Rocky
Rambo
The Expendables

Elizabeth Banks
Pitch Perfect
Hunger Games
Spider-Man

Christopher Lee
Dracula
Lord of the Rings
Fu Manchu
Musketeers

Ice Cube
Barbershop
Friday
Ride Along (IMDB lists it as "announced" but it seems inevitable)

Samuel L Jackson
Star Wars (Mace Windu)
Avengers (Nick Fury)
xXx (Augusts Gibbons)

Jason Statham
The Transporter
The Expendables
The Fast and the Furious (6-8)

Who am I missing? I can edit this message to add more.

(I am counting the Hobbit and LOTR as one 6-movie-series, since the actors play the same roles.)

*Edited to include Statham
Last edited by jbenz on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
jbenz

Postby jbenz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:50 am

Also, did we ever answer this question from Ken's blog post?

Bonus Question! Who has appeared in the most movie pairs (or better)? I can think of a six-pair man, counting one movie that’s in the can but not yet released. Is that the current record?

From this thread, we've listed:

Bruce Willis
Die Hard
The Expendables
Look Who's Talking (voice)
The Whole Nine Yards and The Whole Ten Yards
Red
Sin City
Does his character from Unbreakable, David Dunn, count? I guess he appeared in another M. Knight Shyamalan movie as that character (Split), but uncredited. And it looks like a sequel to Unbreakable is in the works. Called Glass.

Mark Whalberg
Transformers
Planet of the Apes
Ted
Daddy's Home

Also, we might have a new contender for three trilogies soon. One of the biggest actors on the planet. He spent the 80s and 90s making $100 million movies. But didn't make a sequel until Mission: Impossible II in 2000.

Since then he's made a total of SIX Mission: Impossibles.

And two Jack Reachers.

And soon: two Top Guns. Will there be a third Reacher and a third Maverick? We shall see.
jbenz

Postby Bill » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:37 pm

jbenz wrote:Also, we might have a new contender for three trilogies soon. One of the biggest actors on the planet. He spent the 80s and 90s making $100 million movies. But didn't make a sequel until Mission: Impossible II in 2000.

Or did he?
Bill

Postby jbenz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:17 am

Bill wrote:
jbenz wrote:Also, we might have a new contender for three trilogies soon. One of the biggest actors on the planet. He spent the 80s and 90s making $100 million movies. But didn't make a sequel until Mission: Impossible II in 2000.

Or did he?

I almost typed "didn't make a sequel to one of his own movies" until 2000... but I left it out.

You're right though. He was in a sequel to a Paul Newman movie in 1986.
jbenz

Postby Bill » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:10 am

jbenz wrote:He was in a sequel to a Paul Newman movie in 1986.

And his hair was perfect.

I was thinking that "What movie was the first sequel that starred Tom Cruise?" might make a good trivia question. Or a terrible one, depending on how you look at it.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:52 pm

jbenz wrote:Who am I missing? I can edit this message to add more.

I thought of another actor who joined the three-timer club in 2017, and is probably not far from being a four-timer.

Jason Statham
The Transporter
The Expendables
The Fast and the Furious (6-8)

Note: IMDb says he was uncredited in Fast & Furious 6, and Wikipedia says it was a cameo in the end credits.

He has also done 2 Crank films, 2 Mechanic films, and IMDb lists an upcoming 2nd Spy movie with Melissa McCarthy.
Neel Mehta

Postby rockgolf » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:55 pm

My son asked me who is the most successful modern actor to never appear in a sequel. He suggested Leonardo DiCaprio. Made sense.

Can anyone do better?
rockgolf

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:50 pm

rockgolf wrote:My son asked me who is the most successful modern actor to never appear in a sequel. He suggested Leonardo DiCaprio. Made sense.

Can anyone do better?

I can't. It's probably Leo, but you may have to phrase it "modern actor to never revisit a role in a sequel." IMDb says his film debut was a sequel: Critters 3. It's just like the Tom Cruise thing a few posts upthread.

A few years ago some non-entertainment magazine (maybe Forbes or Fortune) listed the 20 biggest Hollywood stars, and someone (either in the article or later) pointed out that 4 of them had never revisited a role in a sequel: Leo, Denzel Washington, Meryl Streep, and Adam Sandler.

Since then, Adam Sandler made Grown Ups 2. Denzel Washington has a second Equalizer in preproduction. Meryl Streep has a second Mamma Mia! in preproduction. So it's probably Leo.

Should we say "modern Hollywood actor"? Maybe, maybe not. I acknowledge the possibility that an international star could be more successful, but sequels are fairly common overseas too, so I doubt we could find a sequel-free one better than Leo.

And now, a list of my favorite non-numerical sequels from Denzel that never happened:

5. Deja Vu Again
4. Mo' Best Blues
3. Can't Get Up
2. Evaluation Day
1. John R
Neel Mehta

Postby jbenz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:05 am

I can't do better than Leo.

But I can think of two other big-time "modern Hollywood actors" that follow a somewhat similar career path to Tom Cruise in that:

- their careers are mostly sequel-free
- except they both have a Color-of-Money-style film (they starred in the sequel only)
- but only one of them is the main star of a Mission-Impossible-style franchise

Also, they were costars in a 2011 film.
jbenz

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:58 pm

jbenz wrote:I can't do better than Leo.

But I can think of two other big-time "modern Hollywood actors" that follow a somewhat similar career path to Tom Cruise in that:

- their careers are mostly sequel-free
- except they both have a Color-of-Money-style film (they starred in the sequel only)
- but only one of them is the main star of a Mission-Impossible-style franchise

Also, they were costars in a 2011 film.

I thought of 2 possibilities, but both sort of fall apart.

Unlikely answer #1:
Spoiler: show
Melissa McCarthy appeared in This Is 40 and The Hangover Part III, both sequels, and a bunch of one-off films. She is, by most measures, an A-list star. I guess Spy could be a Mission: Impossible style franchise once we have a second film.

She was in a pretty big 2011 film called Bridesmaids, but I'm not sure if any of her costars have a similar career path to Tom Cruise. Rose Byrne appears in Star Wars Episode II, but she's done films and their sequels (Insidious, Neighbors, X-Men). Kristen Wiig has done another film with Melissa McCarthy, so you would have asked the question differently. I guess that leaves Rebel Wilson, who came late to the Ice Age and Night at the Museum franchises. But aside from the Pitch Perfect films, she's not much of a hitmaker.

Unlikely answer #2:
Johnny Depp, like Tom Cruise, has a 5-film franchise (Pirates of the Caribbean). He is working on another, Fantastic Beasts. He's done 2 Alice in Wonderland movies and a bunch of one-offs. The only time I'd call him a latecomer to a franchise was in Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

He made a bunch of films in 2011, including a cameo in Jack and Jill, with Adam Sandler. Sandler's career is mostly sequel-free, but to my knowledge he has not appeared in any sequels without also appearing in the original.
Neel Mehta

Postby jbenz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:55 am

Good effort but I was not thinking of McCarthy nor Depp.

I'll give out a few more hints:

- these actors were born about 20 years apart

- the younger one acted in his Color-of-Money-style sequel *very* recently (I am cheating here).

- the older actor starred in his sequel closer to the beginning of his movie career... though most would say he has a movie career *in spite* of this sequel.

- the older actor starred in the Mission-Impossible-style franchise

- for the younger actor, the phrase "Color-of-Money-style sequel" is particularly accurate
jbenz

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:46 pm

jbenz wrote:Good effort but I was not thinking of McCarthy nor Depp.

I'll give out a few more hints:

- these actors were born about 20 years apart

- the younger one acted in his Color-of-Money-style sequel *very* recently (I am cheating here).

- the older actor starred in his sequel closer to the beginning of his movie career... though most would say he has a movie career *in spite* of this sequel.

- the older actor starred in the Mission-Impossible-style franchise

- for the younger actor, the phrase "Color-of-Money-style sequel" is particularly accurate

The most "Color-of-Money style sequel" I can think of is the Wall Street sequel, so I tried Shia LaBeouf, but to no avail. Besides, that wouldn't be "cheating". But this is:

theidesofmarch.jpg
theidesofmarch.jpg (30.74 KiB) Viewed 677 times

Ryan Gosling will appear in Blade Runner 2049 and otherwise has no sequels in his filmography. He did The Ides of March with George Clooney, almost 20 years his senior.

Clooney's career is somewhat Cruise-like, with Return of the Killer Tomatoes early on, and the Ocean's heists are stylistically similar to Mission: Impossible spycraft.

As to the Leo question from rockgolf, I think Matthew McConaughey and the younger actor above would be solid 2nd and 3rd place choices. McConaughey has his own Critters 3 in the form of Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation, and has not revisited a role yet.

ETA: I'm struggling to find a popular Hollywood actress who qualifies. (Meryl Streep still does, but is not necessarily a box office draw.) For the next few months, it's probably Mila Kunis, but then A Bad Moms Christmas comes out and I have to start looking again.
Neel Mehta

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum