Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Bill » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:12. Can you name the TV series based on the titles of 3 of its episodes?

A) Swarley; Challenge Accepted; Sandcastles in the Sand
B) Loud & Proud; Luck Be a Lady; Leaving Los Angeles
C) Investors Dinner; Stennheiser-Pong Wedding Reception; Steve Guttenberg's Birthday
D) Our Mrs. Reynolds; Objects in Space; Heart of Gold
E) Daughter of the Bride of Finkelstein; It Takes a Village; Sleepless in San Francisco
F) Proof of Concept; Daily Active Users; Server Error
G) Black and Tan: A Crime of Fashion; Lassie Did a Bad, Bad Thing; Santa Barbarian Candidate
H) The Spy Who Came in for a Cold One; They Called Me Mayday; Norman's Conquest
I) Ham Sandwich; Bitcoin for Dummies; Dramatics, Your Honor
J) The Case of the Missing Screenplay; The Case of the Stolen Sperm; The Case of the Grievous Clerical Error!
K) The Truth in the Lye; The Foot in the Foreclosure; The Pathos in the Pathogens
L) Sister City; Indianapolis; Li'l Sebastian


I cannot, so I shall contribute to the game.

Can you name the TV series based on the titles of 6 of its episodes?

M) The Younger Woman; Eat, Drink, and Be Wary; Trust Me; The Juicer; Mr. Sandman; No More Mr. Nice Guy

N) Meet the Billionaire; Circus, Circus; Blow Out; Pandora’s Box; Ethics Schmethics; Toying with Disaster
Bill
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:00 pm

Bill wrote:I cannot, so I shall contribute to the game.

12. Can you name the TV series based on the titles of 6 of its episodes?

M) The Younger Woman; Eat, Drink, and Be Wary; Trust Me; The Juicer; Mr. Sandman; No More Mr. Nice Guy

N) Meet the Billionaire; Circus, Circus; Blow Out; Pandora’s Box; Ethics Schmethics; Toying with Disaster


Wow. You should have the last name that sounds like meta. (Maybe you do, I don't know.)

Neel Mehta wrote:12. Can you name the TV series based on the titles of 3 of its episodes?

A) Swarley; Challenge Accepted; Sandcastles in the Sand
B) Loud & Proud; Luck Be a Lady; Leaving Los Angeles
C) Investors Dinner; Stennheiser-Pong Wedding Reception; Steve Guttenberg's Birthday
D) Our Mrs. Reynolds; Objects in Space; Heart of Gold
E) Daughter of the Bride of Finkelstein; It Takes a Village; Sleepless in San Francisco
F) Proof of Concept; Daily Active Users; Server Error
G) Black and Tan: A Crime of Fashion; Lassie Did a Bad, Bad Thing; Santa Barbarian Candidate
H) The Spy Who Came in for a Cold One; They Called Me Mayday; Norman's Conquest
I) Ham Sandwich; Bitcoin for Dummies; Dramatics, Your Honor
J) The Case of the Missing Screenplay; The Case of the Stolen Sperm; The Case of the Grievous Clerical Error!
K) The Truth in the Lye; The Foot in the Foreclosure; The Pathos in the Pathogens
L) Sister City; Indianapolis; Li'l Sebastian


In the past, this type of question invited a variety of responses. Not sure what to say. I can give some hints:

Spoiler: show
- Ted Danson was a regular on two of these TV series.
- The music video for "Sandcastles in the Sand" has almost 1.7 million views on YouTube.
- All kinds of events require catering.
- "Heart of Gold" is shorthand for "hooker with a heart of gold", only, you know, in outer space.
- "Lassie" does not refer to the collie, but one of the show's characters, Detective Lassiter.
- "Ham Sandwich" is a reference to the oft-quoted line about how an effective district attorney can get a grand jury to indict anything, even a ham sandwich. This is a lawyer show set in the Bitcoin era.
- Most episodes of a certain long-running TV procedural followed the format "The X in the Y". This one is set in the foreclosure era, which is basically the same as the Bitcoin era.


Let's try another.


13. What do the following films have in common?

Working Girl (1988)
Pearl Harbor (2001)
Rise of the Guardians (2012)
Aloha (2015)

State and Main (2000) and It's Complicated (2009) qualify for the same reason as Aloha, but they mess up the list's perfect chronological order. (As does the 2006 film Smokin' Aces, which also qualifies for its own reason, and cannot be part of the above list.)
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Bill » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:50 am

Neel Mehta wrote:13. What do the following films have in common?

Working Girl (1988)
Pearl Harbor (2001)
Rise of the Guardians (2012)
Aloha (2015)

State and Main (2000) and It's Complicated (2009) qualify for the same reason as Aloha, but they mess up the list's perfect chronological order. (As does the 2006 film Smokin' Aces, which also qualifies for its own reason, and cannot be part of the above list.)


There's one obvious thing the six movies have in common, but it doesn't explain the rest of your description. I'm ready for a hint.
Bill
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:23 am

Bill wrote:
Neel Mehta wrote:13. What do the following films have in common?

Working Girl (1988)
Pearl Harbor (2001)
Rise of the Guardians (2012)
Aloha (2015)

State and Main (2000) and It's Complicated (2009) qualify for the same reason as Aloha, but they mess up the list's perfect chronological order. (As does the 2006 film Smokin' Aces, which also qualifies for its own reason, and cannot be part of the above list.)


There's one obvious thing the six movies have in common, but it doesn't explain the rest of your description. I'm ready for a hint.


Thanks for giving it a go. The "one obvious thing" is exactly one-half of the commonality. Also the much easier half.

Spoiler: show
I would recommend looking up who else State and Main, It's Complicated, and Aloha have in common. Then see what that person is working on more recently. Then work backwards.
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Bill » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Wow. Nice one.

Spoiler: show
frcg18---picture-0-(logo).jpg
frcg18---picture-0-(logo).jpg (54.59 KiB) Viewed 941 times
Bill
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:30 pm

Bill's got #13. The answer:

Spoiler: show
This is kind of a film series question, but really more of a franchise question. All 7 films I mentioned have two actors who have been cast as Jack Ryan, the Tom Clancy character. The 4 films I listed show that Alec Baldwin (the original Jack Ryan in 1990's The Hunt for Red October) has made a movie with each subsequent Jack Ryan before he took on the role.

Working Girl (1988): Alec Baldwin and Harrison Ford (1992's Patriot Games, 1994's Clear and Present Danger)
Pearl Harbor (2001): Alec Baldwin and Ben Affleck (2003's The Sum of All Fears)
Rise of the Guardians (2012): Alec Baldwin and Chris Pine (2014's Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit)
Aloha (2015): Alec Baldwin and John Krasinski (2018's Amazon TV series)

Baldwin and Krasinski also were in State and Main and It's Complicated. Smokin' Aces is the only non-Baldwin film with two Jack Ryans: Affleck and Pine.

In case you were wondering, there are also 5 actresses who were cast as Cathy Muller Ryan: Gates McFadden, Anne Archer, Bridget Moynahan, Keira Knightley, and Abbie Cornish. No two of them have worked together. Also, Willem Dafoe and Liev Schreiber played John Clark, and they haven't worked together either.


So you can add those 7 films to a growing list that includes The Fourth Protocol (1987), Out of Sight (1998), The Help (2011), and TV's Game of Thrones. Reasons supplied below.

Spoiler: show
The Fourth Protocol: two Alfred Pennyworths (Michael Gough and Michael Caine)
Out of Sight: two Bruce Waynes/Batmen (Michael Keaton and George Clooney)
The Help: two Gwen Stacys (Bryce Dallas Howard and Emma Stone)
Game of Thrones: two Sarah Connors (Lena Headey and Emilia Clarke)


Can you add others?


14. Identify the popular songs based on a unique two-word phrase within the song's lyrics. The song's year of release appears in parentheses. For this set, one or both of the words is a proper noun.

Here are three to get you started.

A) El Salvador (1987)
B) Ventura Boulevard (1989)
C) Market Square (1993)
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Bill » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:41 am

Neel Mehta wrote:So you can add those 7 films to a growing list that includes The Fourth Protocol (1987), Out of Sight (1998), The Help (2011), and TV's Game of Thrones. Reasons supplied below.

Spoiler: show
The Fourth Protocol: two Alfred Pennyworths (Michael Gough and Michael Caine)
Out of Sight: two Bruce Waynes/Batmen (Michael Keaton and George Clooney)
The Help: two Gwen Stacys (Bryce Dallas Howard and Emma Stone)
Game of Thrones: two Sarah Connors (Lena Headey and Emilia Clarke)


Can you add others?


Not surprisingly, my first thought was to go to Shakespeare.

Spoiler: show
Gardens of Stone (1987): Two Othellos (James Earl Jones and Laurence Fishburne)
Dead Again (1991): Two Hamlets (Derek Jacobi and Kenneth Branagh)
Lord of the Rings (2001): Two Kings Lear (Ian Holm and Ian McKellen)
X-Men (2014): Two Macbeths (Ian McKellen and Michael Fassbender)


As for #14, I got B right away, since I know the song well and I've been hearing it a lot this week. That made me suspect that A and C were also by the same artist, which checking confirmed.
Bill
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Bill wrote:
Neel Mehta wrote:So you can add those 7 films to a growing list that includes The Fourth Protocol (1987), Out of Sight (1998), The Help (2011), and TV's Game of Thrones. Reasons supplied below.

Spoiler: show
The Fourth Protocol: two Alfred Pennyworths (Michael Gough and Michael Caine)
Out of Sight: two Bruce Waynes/Batmen (Michael Keaton and George Clooney)
The Help: two Gwen Stacys (Bryce Dallas Howard and Emma Stone)
Game of Thrones: two Sarah Connors (Lena Headey and Emilia Clarke)


Can you add others?


Not surprisingly, my first thought was to go to Shakespeare.

Spoiler: show
Gardens of Stone (1987): Two Othellos (James Earl Jones and Laurence Fishburne)
Dead Again (1991): Two Hamlets (Derek Jacobi and Kenneth Branagh)
Lord of the Rings (2001): Two Kings Lear (Ian Holm and Ian McKellen)
X-Men (2014): Two Macbeths (Ian McKellen and Michael Fassbender)


Interesting how the two Magnetos are also the two Macbeths.

I found a few more.

Spoiler: show
The Score (2001): two Don Vito Corleones (Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro)

Get Shorty (1995): two Jack Crawfords (Dennis Farina and Harvey Keitel)
Puerto Vallarta Squeeze (2004): two Jack Crawfords (Scott Glenn and Harvey Keitel)
RED 2 (2013): two Hannibal Lecters (Brian Cox and Anthony Hopkins)


Bill wrote:As for #14, I got B right away, since I know the song well and I've been hearing it a lot this week. That made me suspect that A and C were also by the same artist, which checking confirmed.


Sounds like you have it. Here are some more.

14. Identify the popular songs based on a unique two-word phrase within the song's lyrics. The song's year of release appears in parentheses. For this set, one or both of the words is a proper noun.

D) Lonely Street (1956)
E) Anastasia screamed (1968)
F) Nova Scotia (1972)
G) Tiffany twisted (1977)
H) Holiday Inn (1979)
I) Beau Brummell (1980)
J) Tastee Freez (1982)
K) Hollywood Squares (1985)
L) San Pedro (1987)
M) Atlanta highway (1989)
N) Flo Jo (1992)
O) Ma Teresa's (1996)
P) Snickers guaranteed (1998)
Q) Bedouin fires (2000)
R) Ms. Cheney (2002)
S) Polaroid picture (2003)
T) Steve Nash (2006)
U) had Isotoners (2007)
V) cherry ChapStick (2008)
W) discotheque Juliet (2014)

Too bad I used the song with "bathroom Polo" and "Shania karaoke" in a previous quickie thread.
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Bill » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:59 am

Neel Mehta wrote:14. Identify the popular songs based on a unique two-word phrase within the song's lyrics. The song's year of release appears in parentheses. For this set, one or both of the words is a proper noun.

Too bad I used the song with "bathroom Polo" and "Shania karaoke" in a previous quickie thread.


I actually know some of these without looking them up!

D) Lonely Street (1956)
G) Tiffany twisted (1977)
N) Flo Jo (1992)
R) Ms. Cheney (2002)
V) cherry ChapStick (2008)


Spoiler: show
D) "Heartbreak Hotel" by Elvis Presley
G) "Hotel California" by the Eagles
N) "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix a Lot
R) "Without Me" by Eminem
V) "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry



15. Members of the two houses of Congress routinely have their names followed by two abbreviated pieces of information in parentheses: their party affiliation and state code, e.g., Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY). Can you name an American politician whose name is followed by a pair of synonyms?
Bill
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Bill » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:16 pm

So there are two possible answers to the clue:

"Ian McKellen and Michael Fassbender have both played M A _ _ E T _ in film."

Speaking of two possible answers...

16. It's the Return of the Movie Loglines: Mork Edition! Name two movies that fit each description.

A. Robin Williams teaches a group of school boys that life is short and they should make their lives spectacular.

B. Robin Williams helps a young man prove that his internal worth is more valuable than his humble social position.

C. Robin Williams gets in trouble for using humor to help people cope with potentially facing death.

D. In order to win back his children, Robin Williams must adopt a whimsical alter ego.
Bill
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby rockgolf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:56 pm

I can fill in 5 more.

E) Anastasia screamed (1968)
F) Nova Scotia (1972)
P) Snickers guaranteed (1998)
Q) Bedouin fires (2000)
T) Steve Nash (2006)

Spoiler: show
E) Sympathy For the Devil
F) You're So Vain
P) One Week
Q) Beautiful Day
S) Hey Ya!
T) Promiscuous
rockgolf
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:31 am
Location: Brampton

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Bill » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:54 pm

I probably should have gotten a few of those.

17. Which of the twelve months of our calendar was named for the Roman emperor Octavian?

18. What do the following TV shows have in common?

Soap
Victorious
Arrested Development
Two and a Half Men
South Park
Bill
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Bill and rockgolf (welcome!) are correct.

And more quickies! I have answers for a couple of these.

Bill wrote:16. It's the Return of the Movie Loglines: Mork Edition! Name two movies that fit each description.

A. Robin Williams teaches a group of school boys that life is short and they should make their lives spectacular.

B. Robin Williams helps a young man prove that his internal worth is more valuable than his humble social position.

C. Robin Williams gets in trouble for using humor to help people cope with potentially facing death.

D. In order to win back his children, Robin Williams must adopt a whimsical alter ego.


I learned something here: I may have avoided a significant portion of Robin Williams' filmography.

Spoiler: show
A. Definitely Dead Poets Society. Maybe Jack? I think he delivers a graduation speech in that.

B. Aladdin and Good Will Hunting

C. This is tricky. I want to say Good Morning, Vietnam and Patch Adams. Then there's Jakob the Liar, but I don't know if he uses humor in his lies. I haven't seen any of these.

D. Mrs. Doubtfire and maybe Hook?


Bill wrote:17. Which of the twelve months of our calendar was named for the Roman emperor Octavian?


Spoiler: show
August only? I don't know if October shares any history with Octavian, but I'm guessing no because it wouldn't explain September, November, and December.


The following questions are still open, or at least have not been explicitly answered:

Neel Mehta wrote:12. Can you name the TV series based on the titles of 3 of its episodes?

A) Swarley; Challenge Accepted; Sandcastles in the Sand
B) Loud & Proud; Luck Be a Lady; Leaving Los Angeles
C) Investors Dinner; Stennheiser-Pong Wedding Reception; Steve Guttenberg's Birthday
D) Our Mrs. Reynolds; Objects in Space; Heart of Gold
E) Daughter of the Bride of Finkelstein; It Takes a Village; Sleepless in San Francisco
F) Proof of Concept; Daily Active Users; Server Error
G) Black and Tan: A Crime of Fashion; Lassie Did a Bad, Bad Thing; Santa Barbarian Candidate
H) The Spy Who Came in for a Cold One; They Called Me Mayday; Norman's Conquest
I) Ham Sandwich; Bitcoin for Dummies; Dramatics, Your Honor
J) The Case of the Missing Screenplay; The Case of the Stolen Sperm; The Case of the Grievous Clerical Error!
K) The Truth in the Lye; The Foot in the Foreclosure; The Pathos in the Pathogens
L) Sister City; Indianapolis; Li'l Sebastian


Bill wrote:12. Can you name the TV series based on the titles of 6 of its episodes?

M) The Younger Woman; Eat, Drink, and Be Wary; Trust Me; The Juicer; Mr. Sandman; No More Mr. Nice Guy

N) Meet the Billionaire; Circus, Circus; Blow Out; Pandora’s Box; Ethics Schmethics; Toying with Disaster


Neel Mehta wrote:14. Identify the popular songs based on a unique two-word phrase within the song's lyrics. The song's year of release appears in parentheses. For this set, one or both of the words is a proper noun.

A) El Salvador (1987)
B) Ventura Boulevard (1989)
C) Market Square (1993)

H) Holiday Inn (1979)
I) Beau Brummell (1980)
J) Tastee Freez (1982)
K) Hollywood Squares (1985)
L) San Pedro (1987)
M) Atlanta highway (1989)
O) Ma Teresa's (1996)
U) had Isotoners (2007)
W) discotheque Juliet (2014)


Bill wrote:15. Members of the two houses of Congress routinely have their names followed by two abbreviated pieces of information in parentheses: their party affiliation and state code, e.g., Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY). Can you name an American politician whose name is followed by a pair of synonyms?


Bill wrote:18. What do the following TV shows have in common?

Soap
Victorious
Arrested Development
Two and a Half Men
South Park


I'll add hints for my questions tomorrow.
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Bill » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Neel has 16 and 17.

Spoiler: show
I don't know Jakob the Liar, but the other eight movies you named were my intended answers for 16.

Gauis Octavius was named for his father and was part of a long line of Octavii. The month name "October" pre-dates him, though both words likely come from the Latin word for eighth. It's even possible that the original Octavius in his ancestry was so named because he was born in October. There's no direct evidence of that, but if it's true, then Octavian is also - in a sense - named for one month, even as he has another month named for him.

As most of you trivia wizards probably know, during his reign as emperor, Octavian would change his name to Augustus. The answer to 17 is August.


More 14:
B) Ventura Boulevard (1989)
L) San Pedro (1987)

Spoiler: show
B) "Free Fallin''" by Tom Petty
L) "La Isla Bonita" by Madonna
Bill
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby rockgolf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Okay, let me try my hand here:

A) Swarley; Challenge Accepted; Sandcastles in the Sand
F) Proof of Concept; Daily Active Users; Server Error
H) The Spy Who Came in for a Cold One; They Called Me Mayday; Norman's Conquest
I) Ham Sandwich; Bitcoin for Dummies; Dramatics, Your Honor
L) Sister City; Indianapolis; Li'l Sebastian

Spoiler: show
A: How I Met Your Mother
F: I hope it's Halt and Catch Fire, but not sure. (It's a great show, in it's final episodes)
H: Cheers
I: The Good Wife
L: Parks & Recreation
rockgolf
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:31 am
Location: Brampton

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Bill wrote:More 14:
B) Ventura Boulevard (1989)
L) San Pedro (1987)

Spoiler: show
B) "Free Fallin''" by Tom Petty
L) "La Isla Bonita" by Madonna


Both correct.

Bill wrote:As for #14, I got B right away, since I know the song well and I've been hearing it a lot this week. That made me suspect that A and C were also by the same artist, which checking confirmed.


14 A-B-C are a set, and a tiny tribute. Answers:

Spoiler: show
A) "Jammin' Me" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
B) "Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty
C) "Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers


rockgolf wrote:Okay, let me try my hand here:

A) Swarley; Challenge Accepted; Sandcastles in the Sand
F) Proof of Concept; Daily Active Users; Server Error
H) The Spy Who Came in for a Cold One; They Called Me Mayday; Norman's Conquest
I) Ham Sandwich; Bitcoin for Dummies; Dramatics, Your Honor
L) Sister City; Indianapolis; Li'l Sebastian

Spoiler: show
A: How I Met Your Mother
F: I hope it's Halt and Catch Fire, but not sure. (It's a great show, in it's final episodes)
H: Cheers
I: The Good Wife
L: Parks & Recreation


I wish F were Halt and Catch Fire, but no. Looking at episode titles for that show, I might have gone with 1984. NeXT, and... Flipping the Switch? A Connection Is Made? Tonya and Nancy? I'm not sure. The rest of your guesses are right. The answer for F is

Spoiler: show
Silicon Valley.


Here are the remaining portions of #12 (now with any previous hints, channel and lifespan, and three more episodes) and #14 (now with the full line in which the two-word phrase appears).

12. Can you name the TV series based on the titles of 3 of its episodes?

B) Loud & Proud; Luck Be a Lady; Leaving Los Angeles


Spoiler: show
Honestly, I was proud of this one and thought it was enough. Gay, women, Los Angeles, alliteration.

Showtime (2004-2009)

Light My Fire; Lacy Lilting Lyrics; LGB Tease


C) Investors Dinner; Stennheiser-Pong Wedding Reception; Steve Guttenberg's Birthday


Spoiler: show
Previous hint: All kinds of events require catering.

Starz! (2009-2010)

California College Conservative Union Caucus; Pepper McMasters Singles Seminar; Taylor Stiltskin Sweet Sixteen


D) Our Mrs. Reynolds; Objects in Space; Heart of Gold


Spoiler: show
Previous hint: "Heart of Gold" is shorthand for "hooker with a heart of gold", only, you know, in outer space.

FOX (2002-2003)

The Train Job; Jaynestown; Shindig


E) Daughter of the Bride of Finkelstein; It Takes a Village; Sleepless in San Francisco


Spoiler: show
ABC (1997-2002)

And the In-Laws Meet; Tie-Dying the Knot; Used Karma


G) Black and Tan: A Crime of Fashion; Lassie Did a Bad, Bad Thing; Santa Barbarian Candidate


Spoiler: show
Previous hint: "Lassie" does not refer to the collie, but one of the show's characters, Detective Lassiter.

USA (2006-2014)

Meat Is Murder, But Murder Is Also Murder; Gus's Dad May Have Killed an Old Guy; Shawn Gets the Yips


J) The Case of the Missing Screenplay; The Case of the Stolen Sperm; The Case of the Grievous Clerical Error!


Spoiler: show
Previous shared hint with Cheers: Ted Danson was a regular on two of these TV series.

HBO (2009-2011)

The Alanon Case; The Case of the Lonely White Dove; The Case of the Beautiful Blackmailer


K) The Truth in the Lye; The Foot in the Foreclosure; The Pathos in the Pathogens


Spoiler: show
Previous hint: Most episodes of a certain long-running TV procedural followed the format "The X in the Y". This one is set in the foreclosure era, which is basically the same as the Bitcoin era.

FOX (2005-2017)

The Man in the Wall; Two Bodies in the Lab; The Critic in the Cabernet


14. Identify the popular songs based on a unique two-word phrase within the song's lyrics. The song's year of release appears in parentheses. For this set, one or both of the words is a proper noun.

H) Holiday Inn (1979)


Spoiler: show
"Everybody go, 'ho-tel, mo-tel, Holiday Inn'"


I) Beau Brummell (1980)


Spoiler: show
"Well, you could really be a Beau Brummell, baby / If you just give it half a chance"


J) Tastee Freez (1982)


Spoiler: show
"Suckin' on a chili dog outside the Tastee Freez"


K) Hollywood Squares (1985)


Spoiler: show
"The Hollywood Squares are living in Disneyland"


M) Atlanta highway (1989)


Spoiler: show
"I'm headin' down the Atlanta highway"


O) Ma Teresa's (1996)


Spoiler: show
"Ma Teresa's joined the mob / And happy with her full-time job"


U) had Isotoners (2007)


Spoiler: show
"Since Prince was on Apollonia / Since O.J. had Isotoners"


W) discotheque Juliet (2014)


Spoiler: show
"My discotheque Juliet teenage dream"
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby rockgolf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Bill wrote:
Neel Mehta wrote:I) Ham Sandwich; Bitcoin for Dummies; Dramatics, Your Honor


One interesting note on this show. The number of words in the episodes varied with the season. Season 1 eps had one-word titles, season 2 had two-word titles, continuing up to season 4. Then seasons 5, 6, & & counted back down with 3-word, 2-word and 1-word titles.
rockgolf
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:31 am
Location: Brampton

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Bill » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:32 am

More 12:
B) Loud & Proud; Luck Be a Lady; Leaving Los Angeles
D) Our Mrs. Reynolds; Objects in Space; Heart of Gold
E) Daughter of the Bride of Finkelstein; It Takes a Village; Sleepless in San Francisco

Spoiler: show
B) The L Word
D) Firefly
E) Dharma and Greg


More 14:
H) Holiday Inn (1979)
I) Beau Brummell (1980)

Spoiler: show
H) "Rapper's Delight" by The Sugarhill Gang
I) "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" by Billy Joel


Bill wrote:15. Members of the two houses of Congress routinely have their names followed by two abbreviated pieces of information in parentheses: their party affiliation and state code, e.g., Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY). Can you name an American politician whose name is followed by a pair of synonyms?


Take, for example, Senator Chris Coons (D-DE). Both D (with an apostrophe) and De are used as a prefix in surnames to mean "from."

That's not my intended answer, but it might clarify what I'm asking.
Bill
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Neel Mehta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:03 am

All correct.

Bill wrote:15. Members of the two houses of Congress routinely have their names followed by two abbreviated pieces of information in parentheses: their party affiliation and state code, e.g., Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY). Can you name an American politician whose name is followed by a pair of synonyms?


Aye.

Spoiler: show
I couldn’t figure out what a D or R would mean by itself, and I did not realize there were other Independents after Jeffords.

Sen. Angus King, Jr. (I-ME)

I did enjoy finding things like (D-OH) and (R-UT) while pairing up parties and state abbreviations in my head.


I think I need a hint for #18.
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Bill » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:24 am

Neel is correct on 15.

Neel Mehta wrote:I think I need a hint for #18.


Focus on Soap and Victorious. They have something big in common, which the other shows share to a lesser degree.
Bill
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Neel Mehta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:37 am

Bill wrote:
Neel Mehta wrote:I think I need a hint for #18.


Focus on Soap and Victorious. They have something big in common, which the other shows share to a lesser degree.


Ah, good one. My mistake was using IMDb only. I took one look at a Victorious cast image on Wikipedia and figured it out. I feel like such a
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Bill » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:49 am

Neel Mehta wrote:I feel like such a


I'm pretty sure I know how you were going to finish that, but I don't want to put words in your mouth.
Bill
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Neel Mehta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Hey, remember this question?

Neel Mehta wrote:5. Here's another wordplay question about TV show titles. I'm thinking of a figure of speech, or saying, in the English language. It has a few variations, but in its simplest form, it consists of exactly seven words and one comma.

Its first part (before the comma) is also the name of a TV series that had 22 episodes over 2 seasons. It was not tied to a particular broadcast network, basic cable channel, or premium cable channel.

Its second part (after the comma) is also the name of a TV series that, so far, has had 20 episodes over 2 seasons. It is not tied to any broadcast network, basic cable channel, or premium cable channel.

What's the saying?


Here's a similar question about 1990s pop music.

19. Second Best. I'm thinking of a song by a British alternative rock band that hit #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1991. The song's title consists of exactly four words and one comma.

Its first part (before the comma) was also the title of a single from an American R&B girl group whose popular remix hit #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1993.

Its second part (after the comma) was also the title of a single from an American rock band that hit #2 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart in 1992.

Its full title (including the comma) was also the title of an unrelated dance-pop single from a British DJ that hit #2 on the UK Singles chart in 1999.

What's the song?
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby rockgolf » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:58 pm

19. Second Best. I'm thinking of a song by a British alternative rock band that hit #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1991. The song's title consists of exactly four words and one comma.

Its first part (before the comma) was also the title of a single from an American R&B girl group whose popular remix hit #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1993.

Its second part (after the comma) was also the title of a single from an American rock band that hit #2 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart in 1992.

Its full title (including the comma) was also the title of an unrelated dance-pop single from a British DJ that hit #2 on the UK Singles chart in 1999.

What's the song?

Spoiler: show
The first part was by SWV.
The second by Van Halen.
The 1991 song was by a band that would sound very different if pronounced in Spanish.
The 1999 song is by a person with an oxymoronic name.
rockgolf
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:31 am
Location: Brampton

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby grodney » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:11 am

Tastee Freez I recognized as
Spoiler: show
Jack & Diane - John Cougar


I don't think that one was answered yet.....sorry if it was.

I should know "Hollywood Squares"....it's super-familiar after the extended hint. Oh wait, I think I got it:
Spoiler: show
Let's Go All The Way - Sly Fox
grodney
 
Posts: 1103
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:31 am

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron