Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Wordplay Wednesday (September 30, 2015)

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Wordplay Wednesday (September 30, 2015)

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:43 pm

From Ken's blog post here:

Words with three consecutive letters of the alphabet in them are a dime a dozen. HIJinks, caNOPy, aFGHan. You get the idea.

Four is a lot rarer. The canonical examples are…well, if you want to take a second to think about this, here’s a blog post I Googled with the answer.

But I just realized the other day: there’s a common two-word phrase that also has four in a row. That’s remarkable, since the phrase is only eight letters long!

In fact, when this subject is taught as a course or emphasis at a university, the resulting three-word phrase has TWO four-consecutive-letter runs in it! What are the phrases?

Got it, but unable to think of any cutesy clues that won't give it away. So behind the spoiler tag is the length of each word in the phrases.

Spoiler: show
Phrase 1: 4-letter word, 4-letter word
Phrase 2: add a 7-letter word to Phrase 1
Neel Mehta

Re: Wordplay Wednesday (September 30, 2015)

Postby Bill » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:47 pm

I found the university word faster than I find the floor after my fifth scotch.

But the original phrase... I couldn't place it, but I couldn't get it out of my head. I wandered the streets looking for a clue. Then it hit me like a slug from a .45. What a fool I'd been!
Bill

Postby marpocky » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:47 am

I call this new, skillful art style CHIC DEFT.

It's not kosher, but have you tried this delicious BEEF GHEE?

I've been digging all week looking for a DAMN OPAL.

That cyclops is so beautiful; he has the BEST UVEA. (Of course, the opposite would be 5 in a row!)

...no? None of these?
marpocky

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:34 am

It's hard to think of a more useless product than BEEF GHEE.

Bill's darkly cinematic post reminded me of Frank Drebin. So...

"I'd known her for years. We used to go to all the police functions together. Ah, how I loved her, but she had her music. I think she had her music. She'd hang out with the Chicago Male Chorus and Symphony. I don't recall her playing an instrument or being able to carry a tune. Yet she was on the road 300 days of the year. In fact, I bought her a harp for Christmas. She asked me what it was."

"The attempt on Nordberg's life left me shaken and disturbed, and all the questions kept coming up over and over again, like bubbles in a case of club soda. Who was this character in the hospital? And why was he trying to kill Nordberg? And for whom? Did Ludwig lie to me? I didn't have any proof, but somehow, I didn't entirely trust him either. Why was the 'I Luv You' not listed in Ludwig's records? And if it was, did he know about it? And if he didn't, who did? And where the hell was I?"
Neel Mehta

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:03 am

Nice work, everybody. Un-coy answer spoilered below:

Spoiler: show
FILM NOIR and FILM NOIR STUDIES.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby e zimmerman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:54 pm

A little late to the party, but there's at least one common two-word phrase with four consecutive letters of the alphabet and only seven total letters. And now I'm wondering if there are any shorter ones!
e zimmerman

Postby Bill » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:18 pm

e zimmerman wrote:A little late to the party, but there's at least one common two-word phrase with four consecutive letters of the alphabet and only seven total letters. And now I'm wondering if there are any shorter ones!

Um, nope.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:04 pm

e zimmerman wrote:A little late to the party, but there's at least one common two-word phrase with four consecutive letters of the alphabet and only seven total letters. And now I'm wondering if there are any shorter ones!

Is it a phrase a baseball announcer might use at the beginning of the game, when a leadoff hitter approaches the plate?
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:35 am

Neel Mehta wrote:

Is it a phrase a baseball announcer might use at the beginning of the game, when a leadoff hitter approaches the plate?

Ah, okay. I've got it now. (Assuming that's what the OP had in mind.)
Bill

Return to Main Forum