Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Aptonyms

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Postby freddi » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:58 am

Then there's a chiropractor named McCracken. And a urologist named Passwater. Do people really become their names?
freddi

Postby cadams35 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:57 pm

I would assume so. It be kinda like a self fulfilling prophecy.
This is not a signature.
cadams35

Postby WhitePhantom » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:55 pm

Here in New York we have a TV meteorologist named Storm Field. His father Frank was also a meteorologist, which explains the name.
We have Lenny and Jimmy and me and...Faye.
-Guy Patterson on bass players
WhitePhantom

Postby PhygLeGuy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:07 am

WhitePhantom wrote:Here in New York we have a TV meteorologist named Storm Field. His father Frank was also a meteorologist, which explains the name.

According to this -- surely the site wouldn’t be named “brainy” if it weren’t -- Storm Field’s given name is Elliot. Is there anything particularly noteworthy about a person having an apt nickname for his chosen profession?

When the Tonight Show originated from New York, Johnny Carson used to refer to Frank Field as “NBC’s crack meteorologist.” Although crack is occasionally observed on the ground near the weather station in Central Park, no clear link has ever been established to any meteorological event.

cadams35 wrote:
freddi wrote: Do people really become their names?

So, if Mr. and Mrs. Kreskin had named their son An Amazing, he is now a Rockette.
PhygLeGuy

Postby cadams35 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:19 pm

PhygLeGuy wrote:
cadams35 wrote:

So, if Mr. and Mrs. Kreskin had named their son An Amazing, he is now a Rockette.

What? Am I missing something here?
This is not a signature.
cadams35

Postby melissa » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:11 pm

I went to high school with someone named Pete Moss. When I heard that he's now a landscaper, I about died laughing! Now that's self-fulfilling prophecy!!
melissa

Postby PhygLeGuy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:10 pm

cadams35 wrote:
PhygLeGuy wrote:
cadams35 wrote:

Alas, the only thing more pathetic than an attempt at humor which needs to be explained is an attempt at humor which can only be explained by the perpetrator.

1. No one could possibly dispute that The Amazing Kreskin is both amazing and a unique kind of guy.
2. Nearly everyone who has the good fortune to see the Rockettes in person exclaims, “Wow! That’s amazing!” Referring, of course, to the spectacle of an array of humans repeatedly performing a certain action, to whit, leg-lifting, in unison, for an extended period of time.
3. Counterfactually, if Kreskin had a name containing an indefinite article, rather than his actual definite article, he would still be amazing, albeit in a non-unique setting.

I’m gonna buy myself a front row seat and start my standing ovation a little early.
PhygLeGuy

Postby Omnicron » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:55 pm

But that could be true for anyone named An Amazing. You could even try changing your first name to Unamusing and see what happens. :wink:
Until one is all.

http://www.TFcon.ca
Omnicron

Postby Omnicron » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:55 pm

Oh, my grade 12 chemistry teacher was named Ms. Cation. And yes, she did have a very positive attitude.
Until one is all.

Omnicron

Postby econgator » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Omnicron wrote:Oh, my grade 12 chemistry teacher was named Ms. Cation. And yes, she did have a very positive attitude.

Did she actually pronounce it Cat-ion, or did she pronounce it Cay-shun?
econgator

Postby PhygLeGuy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:54 am

Omnicron wrote: You could even try changing your first name to Unamusing and see what happens. :wink:
Clearly, nothing would change.
PhygLeGuy

Postby jaclyn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:13 am

We just ordered patio tiles from the Carver family business. I'm not sure I want to know how many generations back that goes.
jaclyn

Postby Duke » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:40 am

My driver's ed teacher in high school was named Mr. Carr.
Duke

Postby Craig S. Cottingham » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:40 am

jaclyn wrote:I'm not sure I want to know how many generations back that goes.

Go back far enough, and it's no longer a self-fulfilling prophecy, but the other way around. "Get thee hence to the blacksmith -- who, amazingly enough, is named 'John the Smith'." :-)
Craig S. Cottingham

Postby Omnicron » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:16 pm

econgator wrote:
Omnicron wrote:Oh, my grade 12 chemistry teacher was named Ms. Cation. And yes, she did have a very positive attitude.

Did she actually pronounce it Cat-ion, or did she pronounce it Cay-shun?

The latter.
Until one is all.

Omnicron

Postby cadams35 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:27 am

PhygLeGuy wrote:
cadams35 wrote:
PhygLeGuy wrote:
cadams35 wrote:

Alas, the only thing more pathetic than an attempt at humor which needs to be explained is an attempt at humor which can only be explained by the perpetrator.

1. No one could possibly dispute that The Amazing Kreskin is both amazing and a unique kind of guy.
2. Nearly everyone who has the good fortune to see the Rockettes in person exclaims, “Wow! That’s amazing!” Referring, of course, to the spectacle of an array of humans repeatedly performing a certain action, to whit, leg-lifting, in unison, for an extended period of time.
3. Counterfactually, if Kreskin had a name containing an indefinite article, rather than his actual definite article, he would still be amazing, albeit in a non-unique setting.

I’m gonna buy myself a front row seat and start my standing ovation a little early.

OK, I get it now.
This is not a signature.
cadams35

Postby cadams35 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:28 am

Also, I have not had the good fortune of seeing the Rockettes in person, but I was part of a Rockettes-like kicking line the other night.
This is not a signature.
cadams35

Postby DJJazzyJoel » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 pm

I would like to contribute my second newsworthy masturbator to the list, one Mr. Nizameddine Chokr. It may not be a job, but it's a popular hobby...the world's oldest hobby! That was An Amazing Joke.
DJJazzyJoel

Postby Sequin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:32 am

Here are some potentially unfortunate married names - I bet they didn't decide to go double-barrelled!

http://www.office-humour.co.uk/pictures/6398/
Sequin

Postby pikeprof » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:41 am

I recently found out my family is descended from people who made a living as fresh-water fishermen-hence "pike"
pikeprof

Postby DJJazzyJoel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:49 pm

Yeah, I heard awhile ago that my family is descended from horse reavers who patrolled the border between England and Scotland robbing people. Another likely apocryphal tale for the origin of my last name is that a descendant had a daughter who was raped by a priest, so the father killed the priest with his bare hands. In either case, the resulting name is Armstrong.
DJJazzyJoel

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:43 am

I'm a bit late to the party, but what about Joe Strummer? Wikipedia says the former John Graham Mellor changed his name a year and a half before The Clash was formed, but I guess you could still argue the late frontman and guitarist chose "Strummer" on purpose.
Neel Mehta

Postby cadams35 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:40 pm

Sequin wrote:Here are some potentially unfortunate married names - I bet they didn't decide to go double-barrelled!

http://www.office-humour.co.uk/pictures/6398/

:lol: :lol:

Thank God I have a normal last name.
This is not a signature.
cadams35

Postby Sequin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:06 am

The curator of a new exhibition in London called "Seduced - Art and Sex from Antiquity to Now" is Kate Bush!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7045772.stm
Sequin

Postby Rex Kramer » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:00 am

My wife noticed the other day that the editor of the Academy Award-winning documentary Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport (among many other films, apparently) is Kate Amend.

Rex
Rex Kramer

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum