Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Is this trivia question [and answer] legit?

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Is this trivia question [and answer] legit?

Postby Guy Incognito » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:58 am

I have heard this question before, but I'm not sure if it is correct. I tried googling it and I couldn't find anything on it. Can anyone verify this?

Question: What artist had the most USA top 40 hits during the 1980's [1 more than Michael Jackson] - if you include the songs this person performed solo, in a group, and collaborating with another artist.

[I'm going to assume that singing on the song is required - not just merely playing an instrument.]

Answer: [-----Phil Collins-----]
Guy Incognito

Postby econgator » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:09 am

Personally, I'd say the question is too vague as written. Which "Top 40" are we talking about? American Top 40? Billboard Top 100? Hot 100 Airplay? Sales?

I'd also say that simply playing an instrument should absolutely count.
econgator

Postby gsplit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:18 am

Based on whichever chart this is (Billboard, A/C, Hot 100?), I think this may very well be correct. I doubt there are many songs that this person would be playing an instrument and NOT singing any form of vocals given that this is about the 1980s, but he and/or his group were quite popular during the decade, not to mention quite prolific because of this person's status both with a group and as a solo artist.
gsplit

Postby rockgolf » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:59 pm

Makes sense. Phil Collins' solo US top 40 (Hot 100) tracks:

1. In the Air Tonight
2. I Missed Again (both peaked at #19 - which do you remember?)
3. You Can't Hurry Love
4. I don't Care Anymore
5. Against All Odds
6. One More Night
7. Sussudio
8. don't Lose My Number
9. Take Me Home
10. A Groovy Kind Of Love
11. Two hearts
12. Another Day In Paradise.

Duos:
13. Easy Lover (with Philip Bailey)
14. Separate Live (with Marilyn Martin)

with Genesis:
15. Misunderstanding
16. Abacab
17. No Reply At All
18. Man On The Corner
19. That's All
20. Invisible Touch
21. Throwing It all Away
22. Land of Confusion
23. In Too Deep
24. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight.
rockgolf

Postby rockgolf » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:05 pm

By comparison, I count 16 MJ solo or duet tracks that made the US top 40 during the '80s and only if you count "Rock With You", released Nov 79 but peaked in 1980. And 4 more as a member of the Jacksons. Add 1 more for "We Are The World" and you're still 3 short of Phil.

(Yes, I'm including the McCartney duets.)
rockgolf

Postby gsplit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:34 pm

Wasn't Phil part of "We Are the World?" Or was he just part of "Do They Know It's Christmas?"

In looking at Phil's list, there are two solo songs that I could've sworn were Genesis songs, and one Genesis song I could've sworn was Phil solo. The two are definitely more interchangeable than Genesis and Peter Gabriel!
gsplit

Postby Joshua Kreitzer » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:01 pm

rockgolf wrote:Makes sense. Phil Collins' solo US top 40 (Hot 100) tracks:

1. In the Air Tonight
2. I Missed Again (both peaked at #19 - which do you remember?)
3. You Can't Hurry Love
4. I don't Care Anymore
5. Against All Odds
6. One More Night
7. Sussudio
8. don't Lose My Number
9. Take Me Home
10. A Groovy Kind Of Love
11. Two hearts
12. Another Day In Paradise.

Duos:
13. Easy Lover (with Philip Bailey)
14. Separate Live (with Marilyn Martin)

with Genesis:
15. Misunderstanding
16. Abacab
17. No Reply At All
18. Man On The Corner
19. That's All
20. Invisible Touch
21. Throwing It all Away
22. Land of Confusion
23. In Too Deep
24. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight.

Genesis also hit the Top 40 with "Paperlate," and Phil was a member of Band Aid which had "Do They Know It's Christmas", giving him a total of 26.

However, Michael Jackson is closer to Phil than suggested above.

Michael solo:
1. Rock With You (reached Top 40 in November 1979, but stayed until March 1980)
2. Off the Wall
3. She's Out of My Life
4. Billie Jean
5. Beat It
6. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
7. Human Nature
8. P.Y.T.
9. Thriller
10. Farewell My Summer Love
11. I Just Can't Stop Loving You
12. Bad
13. The Way You Make Me Feel
14. Man in the Mirror
15. Dirty Diana
16. Another Part of Me
17. Smooth Criminal

Duets:
18. The Girl Is Mine [Jackson & McCartney]
19. Say Say Say [McCartney & Jackson]

With the Jacksons:
20. Lovely One
21. Heartbreak Hotel
22. State of Shock
23. Torture

With USA for Africa:
24. We Are the World

So, as far as I can tell, Phil Collins does indeed hold the record for most top 40 hits in the 1980s on the Billboard Hot 100 as a solo artist, duet participant, or member of a group. In fact, someone else is also ahead of Michael Jackson: Daryl Hall had 22 top 40 hits in the decade as a member of Hall & Oates, 2 solo top 40 hits, and was also a member of USA for Africa, giving him 25 in all.

However, if you introduce the requirement that the person's vocals have to be heard on the track (not just playing an instrument), you get a more ambiguous answer.

Michael Jackson was not a "member" of Rockwell or Rebbie Jackson (both of whom are solo artists), but his vocals can be heard on their respective hits "Somebody's Watching Me" and "Centipede." Meanwhile, Phil Collins would not get credit for playing the drums on "I Know There's Something Going On" by Frida, since his vocals do not appear on that song. And if someone interpreted the question that way, Phil and Michael would be tied with 26.

So the exact phrasing of the question makes a difference, at least in how people are going to interpret it.
Joshua Kreitzer

Postby rockgolf » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:05 am

Excellent reply, Joshua! However, Phil also only played drums on "Do They Know It's Christmas", so that too is ambiguous. He took no part in "We Are The World". Also, I can't say for certain that Michael's vocals are heard on the Jackson's "Torture". In the video, Michael place was literally taken by a dummy.

PS: Congrats on your TAQ results!
rockgolf

Postby Guy Incognito » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:25 am

Previous Posts

I think you guys have hit it on the head. I originally heard the question as "this person had one more hit than Michael Jackson", and I believe the "score" was 24 to 23.

I am going to assume "Do they know it is Christmas" and "We are the World" do not count.

I don't know anything about the music biz - perhaps getting a song writing credit is necessary for it to count as "your" song - that is why merely playing an instrument doesn't count.
Guy Incognito

Postby Paucle » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:57 am

rockgolf wrote:PS: Congrats on your TAQ results!

No kidding! Winning 3 sections? You rock! :)
Paucle

Postby rockgolf » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:16 am

Guy Incognito wrote:I don't know anything about the music biz - perhaps getting a song writing credit is necessary for it to count as "your" song - that is why merely playing an instrument doesn't count.

Then that throws more monkey wrenches in the works. Several of Jackson's hits were written by Rod Temperton. Collins had at least 2 covers of '60s hits. Daryl Hall's tally includes a Temptations medley and cover of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'".

Let's not go there.
rockgolf

Postby Joshua Kreitzer » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:14 pm

rockgolf wrote:Excellent reply, Joshua! However, Phil also only played drums on "Do They Know It's Christmas", so that too is ambiguous. He took no part in "We Are The World". Also, I can't say for certain that Michael's vocals are heard on the Jackson's "Torture". In the video, Michael place was literally taken by a dummy.

Getting back to the original poster's question, which was whether "What artist had the most USA top 40 hits during the 1980's [1 more than Michael Jackson] - if you include the songs this person performed solo, in a group, and collaborating with another artist" -- answer: "Phil Collins," was a legitimate question and answer, I would say it's accurate, if you take out the words "1 more than Michael Jackson." Counting everything for Phil, I get 26, and counting everything for Michael, I get 24. So that places Phil 2 hits ahead of Michael.

If you took away "Do They Know It's Christmas" for Phil due to his lack of a vocal performance, he would then be 1 ahead of Michael Jackson, but then Phil would have 25 top 40 hits, tied with Daryl Hall, and no longer the sole person in the lead. And by that logic, you would have to say that Jan Hammer, Vangelis, and Harold Faltermeyer combined for a grand total of zero top 40 hits since their hits were all instrumentals.

Incidentally, in the video for "Do They Know It's Christmas," Phil certainly looks like he is part of the large chorus singing the words "Feed the world," although individual vocalists can't be distinguished during that part. Apparently Collins was present in the studio with everyone else, rather than coming in separately just to record his drum part. Consequently, I doubt that Bob Geldof told the chorus, "Okay, now everybody sing the words 'Feed the world' -- except you, Phil, you can just lip-synch it."

Also, various sources indicate that Michael Jackson did sing on "Torture," particularly the second verse, and his vocals are recognizable on the track, despite his lack of participation in the music video.

rockgolf wrote:PS: Congrats on your TAQ results!

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Joshua Kreitzer

Re:

Postby Joshua Kreitzer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:32 pm

Reviving a very old thread to correct myself ...

Joshua Kreitzer wrote:So, as far as I can tell, Phil Collins does indeed hold the record for most top 40 hits in the 1980s on the Billboard Hot 100 as a solo artist, duet participant, or member of a group. In fact, someone else is also ahead of Michael Jackson: Daryl Hall had 22 top 40 hits in the decade as a member of Hall & Oates, 2 solo top 40 hits, and was also a member of USA for Africa, giving him 25 in all.

I forgot that Daryl Hall was also in Artists United Against Apartheid, who hit the top 40 with the charity single "Sun City." So that ties him with Phil Collins with 26 top 40 hits in the 1980s.
Joshua Kreitzer

Re:

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:41 am

Joshua Kreitzer wrote:However, if you introduce the requirement that the person's vocals have to be heard on the track (not just playing an instrument), you get a more ambiguous answer.

Michael Jackson was not a "member" of Rockwell or Rebbie Jackson (both of whom are solo artists), but his vocals can be heard on their respective hits "Somebody's Watching Me" and "Centipede." Meanwhile, Phil Collins would not get credit for playing the drums on "I Know There's Something Going On" by Frida, since his vocals do not appear on that song. And if someone interpreted the question that way, Phil and Michael would be tied with 26.

As I learned on the Evening Delight thread, Phil Collins provided backup vocals for Howard Jones' "No One Is to Blame". It charted at #4 on the Billboard 100.

So if you include solo, duet, group, and backup vocals, Phil beats Michael 27-26.
Neel Mehta

Re: Is this trivia question [and answer] legit?

Postby rockgolf » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:48 am

Phil also produced and supplied background vocals on Frida's (Ex-ABBA) hit "I Know There's Something Going On", which peaked at #13.

Would that increase his lead?
rockgolf

Return to Main Forum