Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Trying to flesh out a movie trivia list for a party

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Trying to flesh out a movie trivia list for a party

Postby SMWinnie » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:03 pm

I'm trying to put together a list of film trivia questions where one could legitimately argue for two or more answers based on phrasing, not based on the film leaving a matter ambiguous.

That is, I'm not looking for "Was Deckard a replicant?" or "Who heard Kane whisper, 'Rosebud'?"

I have three so far and would appreciate additional suggestions.

Who played the title character in John Ford's classic, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance?

At the end of Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction, what is Vincent Vega doing?

What film is the Gene Kelly/Cyd Charisse ballet Broadway Melody a part of? (And, only in the context of this quiz, what film studio produced Singin' in the Rain?)
SMWinnie

Re: Trying to flesh out a movie trivia list for a party

Postby Bill » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:55 am

What famous actor did not accept the Oscar he won for his performance as Vito Corleone?

(He did accept the Oscar for his role as a boxer in another film, the one where he does the "I coulda been a condender" speech.)
Bill

Postby SMWinnie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:12 pm

Bill wrote:What famous actor did not accept the Oscar he won for his performance as Vito Corleone?

(He did accept the Oscar for his role as a boxer in another film, the one where he does the "I coulda been a condender" speech.)

Devious! But I think there's only one answer to the question as written. My goal is to have more than one defensible answer for each question. How about:

What famous actor, who did accept a Best Actor Academy Award for his role as a boxer, did not take home the Best Actor Academy Award for his Oscar-winning performance as Vito Corleone?
SMWinnie

Postby skullturfq » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:59 am

I wouldn't have known the following fact without looking it up, but it appears as though a certain winner at the April 1975 ceremony was not there in person, and so could perhaps be said not to have "accepted" the Oscar he won.

At least, he didn't "accept" it at the ceremony. Assuming the award was later given to him and kept by him, perhaps it could be argued that he did in fact ultimately "accept" the award.
skullturfq

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:47 am

Marlon Brando won the Best Actor award for playing Vito Corleone in The Godfather. He chose not to accept the award. He had previously won an Oscar for playing a boxer in On the Waterfront, the movie where he delivers the famous "I coulda been a contender" speech.

Robert De Niro won the Best Supporting Actor award for playing Vito Corleone in The Godfather, Part II. He was not there to accept the award. Coppola accepted it on his behalf. De Niro would later win an Oscar for playing boxer Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull. In the movie, LaMotta recites the "I coulda been a contender" speech from On the Waterfront.
Bill

Postby SMWinnie » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Bill wrote:Marlon Brando won the Best Actor award for playing Vito Corleone in The Godfather. He chose not to accept the award. He had previously won an Oscar for playing a boxer in On the Waterfront, the movie where he delivers the famous "I coulda been a contender" speech.

Robert De Niro won the Best Supporting Actor award for playing Vito Corleone in The Godfather, Part II. He was not there to accept the award. Coppola accepted it on his behalf. De Niro would later win an Oscar for playing boxer Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull. In the movie, LaMotta recites the "I coulda been a contender" speech from On the Waterfront.

I withdraw my objection! Very elegantly phrased.

I wasn't aware that De Niro missed the ceremony. (Not a protest but filming 1900 in Italy, if IMDB has it correctly.)
SMWinnie

Postby Bill » Wed May 10, 2017 2:48 am

Which is the earliest of the Star Wars films that features Jabba the Hutt?
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed May 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Bill wrote:Which is the earliest of the Star Wars films that features Jabba the Hutt?

Clever. There are 3 possible answers to this question. George Lucas clearly (and eventually) intended one answer, but I think that film has the weakest argument.

Spoiler: show
Episode I, the first time Jabba appears in the story's ultimate timeline
Episode VI, the first time Jabba appears to a theatrical audience
Episode IV (Special Edition), the first time George Lucas wanted Jabba to appear
Neel Mehta

Return to Main Forum