Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Alphabetical song lyric quiz

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Alphabetical song lyric quiz

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri May 23, 2008 3:08 pm

Ken linked to Matthew Baldwin's alphabetical lyric quiz (discussed before in the forum) and I thought I'd open this thread so we could create our own.

Here's a set of songs that should be easier because each has at least one uncommon word.

a again ahead and are barely battle battles beat between build but car catch causing clearing come comes counting cup deluge don't door dream drum end ever feeling freedom get heart hey hole i'm in is it's know let liberation lost many me my never no now of only over page paper possessions proof relief right road roof see shadows steps suspicion t.v. tales the them there there's they to today towing traveling try turn us walking wall war waste we when while win with within without won't world you you'll you're your

a ability agility and are away be been better blessed blood bob born brother brow bucket but by can't 'cause chug-a-lug come confide continue cough dance dancin' daughter deliver distress do don't down drink everybody excess feelin' feeling fertility for free from get give giver gone gonna good goodness got greedy he heart hell her his hoosegow how hug i i'm i've if in is it juice kaiser keep kingpin know less let life like little long love lovin' low lucky mama marley material me miser mobility mom more my never no now of off on or papa pauper people piggies poet powwow prophet put realize receive reeling right river rock say scrub sea see she shiver smart stop swimmin' talk taught tell than the then there's time times to unimpressed up upriser walkin' wanna want warm water what when wisely wiser with wither won't yes you you'll you've young your

a across all an and are as at be better black blessed blows boat built bury but by came church city cold come congregations could crazy crows crumbled did died dying earth edge empire endlessly exists eye falling fat father ferry final flapping flowed fog for found from fussing garrison geese get go gods good had having he hear here him home horses house how i i’d if in inherit is it jesus laughing learn left light like lived looked make man men murder my needle never night northern not october of offer old on one only our out place play poor prayed prayers priestly priests rite river romans round sad saw sea seagulls serve shall shire silent sodium sound spoken stone stones sun swear take teach teachers tear temple than that the their then these they this ‘til time to today told tonight tower town two up us used walking wall was way were what where which wind winter's words workmen world worth young
Neel Mehta

Postby billiej » Fri May 23, 2008 4:17 pm

-
-
-
-
-
1. Don't Dream It's Over
2. Give It Away
billiej

Postby Paucle » Fri May 23, 2008 4:47 pm

Even though billie already got #1, I just had to say, I got it instantly because it is just about my mostest favoritestest song EVAH. :)

#3 is, I think "All this Time."
Paucle

Postby econgator » Fri May 23, 2008 6:33 pm

Here's 4.

Ok, that's it. :)
econgator

Postby Bill » Fri May 23, 2008 6:57 pm

Fun!

always be do i i'll know like love me new oh please so someone somebody to true whoa you

a absurd acceptable all am and are asleep at away be beautiful birds but calling clinical could criminal cynical deep dependable fanatical feel for happily how i in intellectual it joyfully know learned liberal life like logical magical man me miracle name night now oh or playfully please practical presentable questions radical respectable responsible run say seemed send sensible showed sign simple singing so sounds such teach tell the then there they they'd they'll times that to too trees up vegetable was watch watching we'd well we've what when where who wonderful won't world world's you your you're young

a along and been bitten 'bout can't come darling dream dreams enough for gazed gold got guessing have he's hey how i is i've know knows lady leaves lied linings listened live love loved man many maybe me mellow men missing more much my need of oh only open ought pocketful really road see silver so some than that the there thing times to true walk what while who with word wondered you you've
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri May 23, 2008 7:59 pm

1, 2, and 3 are correct. Well done, billiej and Paucle.

4. "Love Me Do" by The Beatles (19 words, 10 fewer than "Hound Dog"!)
5. "The Logical Song" by Supertramp
6. "Over the Hills and Far Away" by Led Zeppelin (had to look up the title)

I was hoping someone would chime in. If you're interested in doing your own:

* Copy the lyrics and paste them in Microsoft Word.
* Select all text and place them in lower case.
* Delete any punctuation. (You can use the Replace screen, replacing each comma, period, colon, question mark, or exclamation point with nothing.)
* Replace all single spaces with line breaks. (In the Replace dialog box, click More, then click Special and select Manual Line Break.) Each word is now on its own line.
* Cut all text and paste it into The Alphabetizer.
* In the left column under Options, click the box next to "Remove Duplicates" and make sure that after "My text is separated by:" the choice "new line" is selected. Then click ALPHABETIZE.
* Copy the text (now alphabetical and without repeated words but still in separate lines) and paste back into Microsoft Word. Then manually delete the line breaks so that the words are separated by a single space in one giant paragraph.

Note: You may need to do some editing in the last step in case words like 'cause and 'til are in the song. The Alphabetizer will put those at the beginning of the list.
Neel Mehta

Postby RingoOSU » Fri May 23, 2008 9:23 pm

I'll try. Not sure how unique/hard these are.

A act again all and ask baby bad be better blame blood brothers but can't care carry come crawl dead did disappoint do don't drag each
easier enter feel for forgiveness gave get getting go got had have head here higher holding hurt i if in into is it it's jesus late law leave leaves lepers life light like lot love make me more mouth much need never night not nothing now on one or other out past play raise same say share should sisters someone taste temple than the then to tonight too want we we're well what will with without you your

a all and apart around befalls bring but can can't chance clover come cure don't door down enough everybody everything fall falling feels find for four-leaf free from get give gonna have heart i i'll i'm in it's keep keeps key let living love lucky me mind misery my never of on one only open out over people problem release repeating retreating say seem seems set so stop take that that's the them thing's this to today, tragedy try unkind way when worry you you'll you're your yourself

a after age all and are be bed blow blue boxes broken broom can cause clowns cries crutch dead down drearily dressed emptiness ever footsteps gone happiness has have hear in is island it its jacks king last life lights lived mary my names no of old on past pieces queen red remember sags screams shine somewhere staggering stream street sweeping that the their they this tiny to tomorrow traffic turn up weeping whispers wife will wind wisdom with yesterdays you
RingoOSU

Postby Bill » Sat May 24, 2008 2:00 am

Neel, correct on my three. Your method seems quicker than mine, since I was doing it manually. Let me try a few your way.

a accounted again along always and aqualung as at attention baby's barber be beggarman boys but by candy contract could crosseyed dines do drawn drops expense favours finds for from game get gets girl goes good grey gruel had hampstead hand hard he helps her highgate his hood if in is it jackknife jumping kicks laughing letching little make man man's mary maybe money mouth no of off on or play playground plays poor railings rather rich robin school she she'll she's signs song steal stealer strong take the they thief through to village watches who with would would

a albino always an and are assured at been best blessed bring contagious dangerous dirty do end entertain feel find for forget found friends fun gift group guess guns hard has hello here i i'm it it's just know less libido lights little load lose makes me mosquito mulatto my myself nevermind now oh on our out overboard pretend shes smile stupid takes the this to until up us we well what whatever will with word worse yea yet your

and big boss can is life maybe me no not now of question repeat so the unfair yes you you're
Bill

Postby Paucle » Sat May 24, 2008 5:44 am

12. not sure of the title, but it's the song used for the opening theme to "Malcolm in the Middle", yes?
Paucle

Postby RingoOSU » Sat May 24, 2008 7:35 am

Spoiler space

10. You might think Aqualung, but it's actually Jethro Tull's Crosseyed Mary from the same album.
11. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
12. It is the theme song to Malcolm in the Middle, Boss of Me by They Might Be Giants
RingoOSU

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat May 24, 2008 8:07 am

Bill wrote:10.
a accounted again along always and aqualung as at attention baby's barber be beggarman boys but by candy contract could crosseyed dines do drawn drops expense favours finds for from game get gets girl goes good grey gruel had hampstead hand hard he helps her highgate his hood if in is it jackknife jumping kicks laughing letching little make man man's mary maybe money mouth no of off on or play playground plays poor railings rather rich robin school she she'll she's signs song steal stealer strong take the they thief through to village watches who with would would

As you can tell from those last two words, The Alphabetizer is far from perfect. But for these purposes, it's still a timesaver.

And I'm astounded that you keep finding full-length, lyric-filled songs with extremely low word counts. #12 is just 20 words! I've compiled 10 more songs, all of which I thought would be short and/or repetitive, and yet the best I could do was 41 words.

I'll put a few more up once RingoOSU's contributions (#7-9) are solved. Speaking of which...

7. "One" by U2 (had to think about what kind of song would use "lepers")
Neel Mehta

Postby billiej » Sat May 24, 2008 12:05 pm

IIRC, #11 was in Mr. Baldwin's quiz as well.
-
-
-
8. Let My Love Open the Door
billiej

Postby RingoOSU » Sat May 24, 2008 12:29 pm

7 and 8 are correct
RingoOSU

Postby TheConfessor » Sat May 24, 2008 12:35 pm

I think #9 is:
-
-
-
The Wind Cries Mary
TheConfessor

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat May 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Compare and contrast:

a and but can child do feel feelings for gonna got i if it it's know lot lotta mind mmm money my of on patience plenty precious put real really right set spending take that the this time to whole you

a again and any anyway but 'cause catchy child come complete could couldn't didn't do 'em fill find get good got gotta has have-a here how i i'll i'm if in is it it's just know long lotta lyrics make many me mind minutes mmm money more much music my need never no nothin' of oh old over pay payin' plenty probably put really recording repeat rhyme rhyming right say sing six so solo song song's sore that that's the they they're think this three throw time to ton whole why will words worth write wrote you you're
Neel Mehta

Postby econgator » Sat May 24, 2008 1:34 pm

Hey, you skipped my #4. :P

OK, here's a real one:

15. a about after all along always am and back be been behind but cant chasin comin could deep distant doesn’t don’t door doesn’t dream faces find for forget front get goin gone good got gotta highway I im in it its ive just keep keeps leave lonely long may me mind more movin my name never no of on our outside remind road rollin sail say should so something stay such take takin that there theres think though time times to tryin wait want was way well what when wish with without yeah you youll your youre
econgator

Postby RingoOSU » Sat May 24, 2008 1:56 pm

9 is right

13 and 14 are pretty darn funny, considering the point the second was trying to make. The second is more true for the former song.
RingoOSU

Postby RingoOSU » Sat May 24, 2008 1:57 pm

econgator wrote:Hey, you skipped my #4. :P

That one was Popcorn.
RingoOSU

Postby econgator » Sat May 24, 2008 2:22 pm

RingoOSU wrote:
econgator wrote:Hey, you skipped my #4. :P

That one was Popcorn.

I was going for 4' 33", but that one works too!
econgator

Postby Ken Jennings » Sat May 24, 2008 3:21 pm

"Love Me Do" is pretty impressively short. What do you think the longest such song is? We can limit this to Top 40 hits or #1s or something to get rid of weird outlier semi-songs.

For example, is there anything with more words than "American Pie"?
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby econgator » Sat May 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:"Love Me Do" is pretty impressively short. What do you think the longest such song is? We can limit this to Top 40 hits or #1s or something to get rid of weird outlier semi-songs.

For example, is there anything with more words than "American Pie"?

I think that the only thing that might give American Pie a run for it's money is Alice's Restaurant.
econgator

Postby econgator » Sat May 24, 2008 3:55 pm

Here's American Pie

'n `cause a about above adjourned; admire again ago air all American and angel as asked away bad band be been before believe bells bible birds blues book born borrowed both boys break bride broken broncin' buck but bye-bye came can can't candlestick carnation cast caught cause chance Chevy children church clenched climbed coast coat come could couldn't courtroom cried crown dance dancin' dark day dean deep delight deliver devil's did die die died dig dirges do doorstep; down dreamed drinkin' drove dry eight every faith falling fallout fast fat father February field; fire fists flames flash flew for forward foul friend from generation ghost girl god good got grass grows gym had half-time hands happy have he heard hell helter her high him his holy how I i'd if in inside into is it jack james jester just kicked king knew know landed last laughing left lennon levee light lonely long looking lost love lovers luck made make man marching marx maybe me men met miles miss more mortal moss most: music my never news night nimble no not now of off oh old on one only our out own paper park pass people perfume pickup pie pink place play played players poets practiced quartet queen quick! Rage read real recall refused remember returned revealed rhythm rite rock roll rollin' rye sacred sacrificial said sang sat satan save saw screamed sergeants she shelter shiver shoes sidelines singin' singing skelter slow? Smile smiled so Some something son soul space spell spoken; stage start started step still stole stone store streets: summer sweet swelter take teach teenage tells ten that that's the them there they they'd this'll thorny those three time to touched train tried truck tune turned up used verdict voice was watched we we've well went were what when where while whiskey who widowed with word wouldn't write years yield you you're your (314 words)

and Alice's Restaurant

$50 'cause 'n' 37 47 58 604 `cause a about across aerial after again against ago alice alice's all also American an and another anti any anything approach are army around arrested arresting arrived arrows as ask at away back bailed bar bars bawled be beat been before began bein' being bell belt bench bend best better big biggest black blind blood bodies both bottom boy" brave bring brung building burn burnt but by call called came can cannot capital car cars case cause cell chain church cigarettes circles city cliff closed colour come comes coming committing cop corner could coulda couldn't counted court creating crime cry damn day dead decided destruction details detected detections did didn't dinner do does doesn't dog doing don't done down downstairs draft driving drove drown drunk dump each eat eight either else end enough enshrined envelope equipment escape even ever every everybody everything evidence examination excepting expect expected explaining eye eyeball eyes faggots father feel feeling felt few fifteen fifty Filled filling finally find fine fined fingerprints first five folder following foot for forms forty found four friend friendly friends from full fun gall garbage gave gesture get getaway getting given glossy go going gonna good gore got gotta great groovy group guitar guts guys had hadn't hairy half hall hand handcuffed handcuffs hang hanging hangings" happened harmony have having he he's head headed heard held her here him his hit honest horrible hours houses how hung husband I i'm i've if imagine immediately implements in infected information injected injecting injections inspected inspecting inspections into is it it'd it's jail join judge jumping just justice kid kids kill kind kinds know last later leaving letters lie like likely litterbug" littering little live lives livin' long look looked looking lot loud making man massachusets massacre matter may me me! Mean meanest medal mention microbus middle mile minutes money moral more morning mother moved movement my myself name nastiest nasty nearby neglected neglections never new newspaper next night no nobody northwest not nothing now nuisance obie of off officer officer's officers on one only or orchestration ordeal organization other our our's out over paper paper's paragraph parentheses part patrol pay pencil pencils people person pertaining pews phenome phone photographs photography phsychiatrist physical pick pictures piece pile piles pinned place plaster playing police possibility prints proceeded proud put question quotated quote railroad rakes raper rapers raping rather ray read realization really reason red rehabilitated remember restaurant right rise" road roll room said sergeant sat say saying says scene seat see seeing selected send sent sentences seven she shook shovels shrink shut sick side sign signs similar sing singing single sir sit sitting situation sleep slide smelling smoking snow so some somebody somewhere song southwest speak speaking special spend stabbers stabbing started station stockbridge stood stop stopped story street study stuff sunset sure take taking talk talked talking tears teeth telephone tell ten than thanksgiving thanksgivings that that's the their them then there there's these they they're thing things think thinks third this three through throw till time tire tired to toilet told ton too took tough toward tower town track tracks truth turned twenty two type typical ugliest ugly under understand understood unquote until untouched up upon us used using veins very vicinity villages visit vw wait waitin' waked walk walked walking wallet wanna want wanted wanting war was Washington wasn't we we'll we're well went were whad'ya what when where wherever which white Whitehall whole why window with women won't word words wrote years yelling yes york you you're your yourself
(595 words)

Granted, you may not consider Alice's Restaurant a "song" and it's certainly not a Top-40 hit. Its length all but guaranteed that.
Last edited by econgator on Sat May 24, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator

Postby rockgolf » Sat May 24, 2008 4:02 pm

Can someone alphabetize Rapper's Delight?
rockgolf

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat May 24, 2008 4:45 pm

rockgolf wrote:Can someone alphabetize Rapper's Delight?

676 words. Phew! We have a new word count leader.

1-2-3-4 a a-cuttin' able about across act actin’ adore advice affair after afternoon again age ain’t air ali alive all along already always am america an and appears are around as ask at ate atmosphere attempt baby baddest bang bank bar bargained bar-kay's basketball be beat because bebop been beer before begun behind being bell best bet big bite black blow blue boast body bodyguards bong boogaloo boogie book bottle bout boyfriend brag brand break breakfast brother brought brown bubba bull bum bump bunch bust but butter buttered by cadillac call called came can’t can captain cards care cars carson casanova case cause cease cha change check checkbooks checked cheese chest chicken chickens chill chump civilized clientele closed clothes code collard color come comin’ continental could created credit crew croker cry cute da dad damn dance danced dancin’ dare dark date dawn day de dear deeper def definite definitely delight derriere devastating dibbie did didn’t die dime dimp dip disco dive do doctor does doin’ don’t doo door dot double down dracula dream dreamin’ dress drive e early earned eat eight ‘em end even ever every everybody everywhere eyes fables face fact fairy fangs far farrah fawcett feast feelin’ feet fellas friend fight filled finally find finesse fingers finished first fit five fixed floor fly flyin’ food foods foot for forgot four foxy frankie freak freaks free friday friend friends from front full fung gamblin’ gang gee get gettin' ghost gimme girl girls give givin’ go god goes goin’ gonna good got gotta grandmaster great greens groove groovy group guaranteed guess guy had half halls hands hank hardy has have he he's hear heard heart heat heaven hello helluva her here high highs hip hippie his history holiday holy home honey hop hot hotel house how hunch hundred hype hypnotize i i'll i'm i've if imp in inn inside interview into is it it's its jams jive johnny joint jump jumped just kaopectate keep kind knicks know known ladies lane late later laugh lean leave legend let let's lie life lifetime light like lincoln little live lois look looked looks love lows macaroni's made make makes makin’ making man mason master masterpiece may mc mc's me mean mellow mike millionaire mind miracles mix moment momma money more most motel move movies movin’ much muhammad mushed must my myself n name named nauseous need never new next night nine no not now o'clock of off oh oj okay old on once one only or originality our out outta over pair pantyhose party party's peas people perry phase pickin’ pile pimp place plate play played plenty point polite pool pop poppin’ pretty prove pumpin’ punk purple put quick quit rainy raise rap rapper rappin’ real really reasons red release relief remember reporter resist rest rhyme rhymes rhythm rhythmic riddle right ring rock rocked rockin’ rocks roll room rottin’ rucker run said same sassoons satisfy say sayin’ says scene school scoobie seat see separates serious seven sexy shake she she's shock shoobie shook show shuffle sick sing singin’ sit sittin’ six sixty skiddlee skip sky sleep sleepin’ slowly so soggy some somethin’ something song soul sound sounds spank spankin’ speak spend sperm start starts steal steamin’ stereo stick sticks still stinks stinky stompin’ stop stopped store stories street stride style sucker suit sun sunroof super superman suppose surely sureshot sweeter system's table take talk talkin’ tall taste tastes tee tell test than that that's the their them then there there's these they they're thing things think thinkin’ this three through throw tick tickets ‘til time to toast tock today toes told tonight tons traveled treacherous tree trio true try tryin’ turned turntables tv twelve two ugly uh understand unforgettable unique until up versatile very vicious viciously voice wack wait waitin’ wall wanna was way we we'll we're weak week weeks well went wet what what's whatcha whatever when which while white who who's whole whose why wiggle will wise with without women wonder wood word world worm wouldn’t write y’all ya yeah years yellow you you're you've young your
Neel Mehta

Postby econgator » Sat May 24, 2008 5:01 pm

rockgolf wrote:Can someone alphabetize Rapper's Delight?

Good catch (and a legit Top-40 to boot)!
econgator

Next

Return to Main Forum