Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Poorly worded question?

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Poorly worded question?

Postby David Regal » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:50 am

There was some dispute at the latest quiz night over a question asking for the latest three Disney movies with one word titles. They gave Moana as the latest, and the point of dispute was that it hadn't been released yet (I'm referring to Australia where I live). Looking it up I see that it had already been released in America. My team did put Moana, and frankly I hadn't thought at all as to the relevance of whether or not it had been released yet. Does it have to be released yet in the country the question is asked for it to count as one of the latest Disney movies? It will be released late December in Australia.
David Regal

Re: Poorly worded question?

Postby marpocky » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:12 am

A good quizmaster/question writer will anticipate these kinds of disputes. However, it's even more complicated. Did it specify Walt Disney Animation Studios? Animated Disney movies? Just "Disney"? By any interpretation, I think Zootopia is on the list. But before that, was it Tomorrowland or Frozen? And if Moana doesn't count, what would be the 3rd one: Cinderella, Planes, Brave, Tangled, or something else?

The fact that the question was asked right around the time of Moana's release, and specifically in between the US release and Australian release just makes it even more of a poorly conceived question.
marpocky

Re: Poorly worded question?

Postby David Regal » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:51 pm

Just Disney movies. Zootopia was one and pretty sure Tomorrowland, but not Frozen.
David Regal

Return to Main Forum