Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Hits Within Hits - Blog Post from 12/23/16

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Hits Within Hits - Blog Post from 12/23/16

Postby jbenz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:53 am

Ken recently posted this:

http://ken-jennings.com/blog/archives/5240

A couple of things came to mind:

1. I believe it was an earlier Tuesday Trivia question about song titles within the band's name. The answer was the hit song "Human" by The Human League. That song rules btw.

2. "Crash Into Me" and "Crash" by the Dave Matthews Band... except it's actually not "Crash". It's "Crush".

So the closest I came was another pair by DMB: "Stay" and "Stay or Leave".

"Stay" peaked at 8 on the Alternative charts, but I don't think "Stay or Leave" ever charted. (It seems to be even more popular than "Stay" among his fans, however.)

What else you got?
jbenz

Re: Hits Within Hits - Blog Post from 12/23/16

Postby jbenz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:42 am

Apparently these are two unrelated Eric Clapton songs:

Roll It

Roll It Over

Again, not really hits though.
jbenz

Postby Bill » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:30 pm

John Lennon has solo singles "Love" and "Woman" and several songs that contain one or both of those words.

It would be interesting to find examples where the shorter title is more than one word.

It would also be interesting to find examples where the shorter title can be taken from the longer title by respacing and/or splitting one or more of the words, in the style of Cyndi Lauper's "He's So Unusual" and She's So Unusual.

Lennon's Double Fantasy has "Beautiful Boy" and "Beautiful Boys," but that might not count because of the former's parenthetical "(Darling Boy)" in the title.
Bill

Postby jbenz » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:41 am

Simon & Garfunkel had a hit with "America".

Paul Simon later had a hit with "American Tune"... which Simon & Garfunkel would record on their post-break-up live albums like The Concert in Central Park.

I feel like country music artists would be perfect for this list. With so many songs about cowboys, rodeos, and trucks, certainly there is some good overlap?

I guess George Strait had a number one hit with "Go On", but not so much with "I Just Can't Go On Dying Like This".
jbenz

Postby rockgolf » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:07 pm

Huey Lewis and the News had hits with both "It's Alright" (a Curtis Mayfield cover) and "But It's Alright" (J.J. Jackson cover).
rockgolf

Postby rockgolf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:33 pm

And it's probably cheating but The Guess Who's first hit was a cover of "Shakin' All Over", and one of their last songs was called "When the Band Was Playin 'Shakin' All Over'".
rockgolf

Postby rockgolf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:38 am

One further: Roberta Flack had a big hit with "Feel Like Making Love", then a few years down the road a smaller hit with the similarly titled "Making Love".
rockgolf

Postby marpocky » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:42 pm

jbenz wrote:So the closest I came was another pair by DMB: "Stay" and "Stay or Leave".

Ruled out by not 1 but 2 technicalities.

"Stay" has a parenthetical subtitle "(Wasting Time)" and "Stay or Leave" was originally recorded for a Dave Matthews solo album, though the full band did eventually start performing it in concert.
marpocky

Return to Main Forum