Ken Jennings

Message Boards

George Michael "Faith"

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

George Michael "Faith"

Postby Whatsahoe » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:01 am

I'm not an epic music buff but does the song "faith" actually begin with an excerpt from " i want your sex"? And if it does, are there any other songs that start so blatantly with another song's lyrics?
Is that an odd thing to do or do I just not pay attention to music much?
Whatsahoe

Re: George Michael "Faith"

Postby Lalock » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:57 am

"Faith" starts out by playing an instrumental version of Wham's song "Freedom" before the guitar strumming starts. "I Want Your Sex" isn't part of the song at all, as far as I can tell. There's no lyric overlap, either.

As far as song overlap, there have to be some out there, but I can't think of any at the moment. The closest I can come is "Lola" being referenced in the first line of The Kinks' "Destroyer."
Lalock

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:36 am

Lalock wrote:As far as song overlap, there have to be some out there, but I can't think of any at the moment. The closest I can come is "Lola" being referenced in the first line of The Kinks' "Destroyer."

I started a thread about this here. And there's the similar thread called Popular music spoilers, where some examples involve song overlap.
Neel Mehta

Postby rockgolf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:52 pm

The first words of "You Give Love A Bad Name" by Bon Jovi are "Shot through the heart...", which was the title of an earlier, much less successful song by the band.
rockgolf

Return to Main Forum