Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Wordplay Wednesday in Greek (January 11, 2017)

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Wordplay Wednesday in Greek (January 11, 2017)

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 am

Ken's blog entry.

(W)ΟΡΝΤΠΛΑΙ (W)ΕΝΤΝΕΣΝΤΑΙ
(W)hy not?

I was in Athens in November for the first international Quiz Olympiad. The hotel that hosted the event was just a short walk away from the marble Panathenaic Stadium, built in 330 BC, which has hosted events for the modern Olympic Games twice.

A monument out front lists the host cities of every subsequent summer games, but it’s written in Greek script. So the first entry carved into the stone is not “ATHENS” but “AΘHNAI.”

But there was one and only one Olympic city on the list whose Greek spelling looked identical to its English one. Which city was it?

Posted by Ken at 1:53 am

I have a possible answer to this question, just from looking at a list of capital letters in the Greek alphabet, but Google's translator seems to have a "sometimes Y" philosophy, so I'm not sure.

Specifics in spoiler text:

Spoiler: show
The capital letter upsilon looks like a Y, but Google's built-in translator may convert an English Y to a Greek I. So TOKYO becomes TOKIO and KYOTO (not an Olympic host) becomes KIOTO. But enter the letter string TOYKO and it stays TOYKO.
Neel Mehta

Re: Wordplay Wednesday in Greek (January 11, 2017)

Postby Ken Jennings » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:30 am

Yes, that was the answer. The plaque said
Spoiler: show
TOKYO
, which sort of surprised me.

ATΛANTA was very close though.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Return to Main Forum