Ken Jennings

Message Boards

21st Century Celebrities

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

21st Century Celebrities

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 pm

I really feel like I know these celebrities in a way I don't know most other celebrities. What do they have in common?

Alanis Morissette, musician
Andre Iguodala, pro athlete
Bethenny Frankel, TV personality
Cristiano Ronaldo, pro athlete
Emeril Lagasse, chef
Mariska Hargitay, actress
Reince Priebus, politician
Wyclef Jean, musician

I included 8 names just in case Ken claims ownership of the Question Seven format. I found 5 more people who qualify -- plus a 6th who is deceased, which kind of matters here. I would imagine there are others.

The 6 people that I found could be described as:
Spoiler: show
2 TV personalities -- both much bigger than Bethenny Frankel -- and 4 musicians, including the deceased. All 6 have done some acting.
Neel Mehta

Re: 21st Century Celebrities

Postby Bill » Wed May 31, 2017 9:06 pm

Hmmm... this is a tough one.

Leonardo DiCaprio?
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed May 31, 2017 10:35 pm

Bill wrote:Hmmm... this is a tough one.

Leonardo DiCaprio?

No, sorry. But there's something about that guess that makes me wonder if you're on the right track. Once you know the commonality, you can check for yourself if another person qualifies.

More hints, if you want them:

1. The most surprising name on my list is
Andre Iguodala. Maybe concentrate on the other 7 people.

2. Shaquille O'Neal and Christina Aguilera kind of qualify, but are almost
too casual.

3. I'm guessing an opposite list of celebrities would be even shorter. I've come across two:
comedian Dave Attell and author John Hodgman.
Neel Mehta

Postby skullturfq » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:27 am

I think I almost have it, but I must be missing a detail.

I think I know roughly what it is in an overall way, but I don't know how to make it precise.

For instance, does
Keanu Reeves
qualify?

EDITED TO ADD:

If the correct connection happens to be a very specific thing I just thought of, then perhaps surprisingly, Martina Navratilova and Madeleine Albright qualify.
skullturfq

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:06 am

skullturfq wrote:I think I almost have it, but I must be missing a detail.

I think I know roughly what it is in an overall way, but I don't know how to make it precise.

For instance, does
Keanu Reeves
qualify?

EDITED TO ADD:

If the correct connection happens to be a very specific thing I just thought of, then perhaps surprisingly, Martina Navratilova and Madeleine Albright qualify.

You probably have it now. Martina Navratilova and Madeleine Albright both qualify. Good finds.

But not Keanu. I don't feel a connection to Keanu Reeves at all.
Neel Mehta

Postby skullturfq » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:00 pm

Lin-Manuel Miranda
skullturfq

Postby Neel Mehta » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:46 am

skullturfq wrote:Lin-Manuel Miranda

Also correct. I guess TV personality La La Anthony counts?

If you need a meta-hint, the commonality in this thread has something to do with why this thread has so many more views than any other Main Forum thread started in April or May 2017. Pure coincidence; I take no credit for it, and honestly feel a little uncomfortable acknowledging it.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:If you need a meta-hint, the commonality in this thread has something to do with why this thread has so many more views than any other Main Forum thread started in April or May 2017. Pure coincidence; I take no credit for it, and honestly feel a little uncomfortable acknowledging it.

I can take some of the credit for that. I still have no idea what it is.

I noticed that all of the people in your original list...

... have unique first names, with the exception of Andre, whom you noted was surprising.

The two casual entries could refer to their nicknames, Shaq and Xtina.

John and Dave are very common names, so they might be opposite. Or maybe their last names are what qualify them.

But not Keanu.

So I was thinking that these were the only people with their first name to... X. But it was hard to find a good X, especially with Reince coming from a non-entertainment field.

With your meta-hint and the thread title, now I'm thinking it has something to do with Internet searches. You could search for each of these people by their first name, while Keanu would list the movie first.

This doesn't quite work in a number of places given the clues, but it's as far as I was able to get. I share my thinking in case it helps someone else have a breakthrough, or in case Neel enjoys watching me suffer. At this point, I think he's earned that.
Bill

Postby jbenz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:16 pm

I am also stumped.

The first thing I noticed was this: 3 of the first 4 last names begin with common male names:

Cristiano Ronaldo > Ronald
Bethenny Frankel > Frank
Alanis Morissette > Moriss ... But wait, it should be spelled Morris and anyway, that fell apart quickly.

Then I noticed the unique first names, like Bill. But I didn't get anywhere.
jbenz

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:52 am

I was going to wait a full week but it feels like prolonging your suffering. Sorry about that.

Here, in the 21st century, I can connect with many celebrities, but as you all determined, I really feel like I know some of them on a first-name basis. Specifically, each has a Twitter handle that is simply their first name: @alanis, @andre, @bethenny, and so on. This is why Reince Priebus (@reince) made the list, despite being in politics rather than entertainment.

The other people I found:

Oprah Winfrey (@oprah)
Rosie O'Donnell (@rosie)

Beyoncé Knowles (@beyonce)
Pharrell Williams (@pharrell)
Reba McEntire (@reba)

The deceased musician was Prince (@prince), whose account is inactive now. I have some misgivings about including him or Madonna (@madonna), seeing as how they dropped the Rogers Nelson or Louise Ciccone and only go by their first name anyway. Younger generations may feel the same way about Beyoncé. I would not include Rihanna (@rihanna) or Pelé (@pele) because those are not their first names.

As Bill correctly guessed, Shaquille O'Neal (@shaq) and Christina Aguilera (@xtina) use nicknames. Dave Attell (@attell) and John Hodgman (@hodgman) use their last names. Keanu Reeves, as far as I can tell, is not on Twitter. (By the way, neither am I.)

I started this thread on May 31, about 10 hours before Ken Jennings (@KenJennings) posted a tweet that offended many people. (The tweet required a little bit of context and whole lot of nuance, in a medium that encourages neither.) So there was a lot of Internet searching and message board visiting and top thread clicking.

As a result, this thread, which was about Twitter, got a lot of guest views because of Twitter. Isn't it ironic, @alanis?
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Ah, nice one. After being stumped, it's helpful to hear the solution was satisfying.

If we switch the venue from Twitter to this forum, I'd be one of the very few who qualify, along with Melissa and Ninjapirate (whose full name is Ninjapirate Macdougal).

When I guessed Leonardo DiCaprio, I thought the theme might be people who have founded a charitable organization.
Bill

Postby jbenz » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:05 am

This was good. Well done. I almost guessed Oprah based on the weird name and the "TV personalities much bigger than Bethenny Frankel" hint. That would've been right! Even if I didn't understand why.
jbenz

Postby Bill » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:25 pm

jbenz wrote:This was good. Well done. I almost guessed Oprah based on the weird name and the "TV personalities much bigger than Bethenny Frankel" hint. That would've been right! Even if I didn't understand why.

That's really funny. I was going to blindly guess Regis Philbin based on the same clues, and I also would have been correct.
Bill

Postby skullturfq » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Yeah, my first guess was simply "People who have uncommon first names" but I realized that, by itself, is a little too subjective and imprecise.

Nice puzzle.
skullturfq

Postby themanwho » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:21 pm

I suppose Internet entrepreneur Jack Dorsey is either too obscure or too meta.

Love Connection (2017) host Andy Cohen.
Not many Myrons left in this world, but I'm one of them.
themanwho

First Name Basis on Jeopardy!

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:20 am

I have a related open question about famous people and first names that is not worth its own thread.

On Jeopardy!, contestants almost always can identify a person using only their last name. (For example, "This game show host hates it when no one else on stage knows Canadian geography." "Who is Trebek?")

There are a few people who can be identified by initials only -- JFK, FDR, MLK, LBJ -- but I'm interested in the select few where a first name only will suffice. I've been watching the show for years and can think of only 3 first names that the judges will accept:

"Who is Elvis?"
"Who is Galileo?"
"Who is Oprah?"

Unlike single-moniker people like Madonna or Prince, these are people who use or used last names. Can you think of any others like them who have enjoyed a first name basis with the Jeopardy! judges?
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:43 pm

I don't know what Jeopardy! judges accept, but I did a picnic puzzle back in the day that might suggest a few candidates:

I’m inviting DANTE, but not PETRARCH.
I’m inviting GALILEO, but not COPERNICUS.
I’m inviting REMBRANDT, but not PICASSO.
I’m inviting NAPOLEON, but not ROBESPIERRE.
I’m inviting PENN, but not TELLER.
I’m inviting KERMIT THE FROG, but not MISS PIGGY.
I’m inviting QUEEN ELIZABETH II, but not PRESIDENT BUSH.
I’m inviting LAVERNE & SHIRLEY, but not CAGNEY & LACEY.

From these, I'd guess Dante, Rembrandt, and Napoleon would be acceptable in responses, as would most monarchs and popes. Michelangelo is mentioned in the comments of that thread, and I'll also throw in Raphael.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:02 pm

Bill wrote:From these, I'd guess Dante, Rembrandt, and Napoleon would be acceptable in responses, as would most monarchs and popes. Michelangelo is mentioned in the comments of that thread, and I'll also throw in Raphael.

These are good. I have no specific memory of hearing "Who is Dante?" or the others, but I'm sure Jeopardy! has asked about them. Maybe others can attest.

Most monarchs and popes don't really count here because they have the equivalent of single-moniker stage names.

Speaking of Ninja Turtles, Leonardo doesn't qualify, and I'm not sure about Donatello.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:Most monarchs and popes don't really count here because they have the equivalent of single-moniker stage names.

Fair enough, but I would make an exception for Cleopatra, who was officially Cleopatra VII Philopater.
Bill

Postby grodney » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:31 am

Maybe: Who is Shaq?

Referred to in the answer several times....not sure about in a question: http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search

Maybe 11/23/11 where the question is shown as "Shaquille O'Neal (The Shaq)". I don't know what that means.

Less likely:
Tiger, LeBron, Kobe
grodney

Postby themanwho » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:35 am

@billy is Billy Corgan. That's the best combo of "common name/reasonably famous" I've found.
Not many Myrons left in this world, but I'm one of them.
themanwho

Return to Main Forum