Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Newspaper term for filler

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Newspaper term for filler

Postby Swanky » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:46 am

I have been going a bit crazy trying to recall this newspaper term.

You see it mainly in classifieds. It is "Filler" text between entries to pad out the page, and it is often a fact or maybe a platitude. There is a word for it, not just "filler".

I knew it 20 or 30 years ago. None of my friends are helping, so I turned to the trivia nerds..
Swanky

Re: Newspaper term for filler

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:40 pm

Swanky wrote:I have been going a bit crazy trying to recall this newspaper term.

You see it mainly in classifieds. It is "Filler" text between entries to pad out the page, and it is often a fact or maybe a platitude. There is a word for it, not just "filler".

I knew it 20 or 30 years ago. None of my friends are helping, so I turned to the trivia nerds..

House ad? John McIntyre, who worked at the Baltimore Sun, lists it in his list of newspaper lingo:

house ad (n.) An unpaid advertisement put on a page to fill a gap left by an lack of paid advertising. Often a promotional ad for the publication.

Even if I'm wrong, at least I found this story about the origin of the bizarre time travel want ad that resulted in the film Safety Not Guaranteed:

timetravelad.gif
timetravelad.gif (4.48 KiB) Viewed 419 times
Neel Mehta

Postby Swanky » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:15 am

No, it was a single word term, like Sniglet, which is a term my wife had not heard before, but I digress.
Swanky

Postby rockgolf » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Wasn't it just "fill"?
rockgolf

Postby Swanky » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:43 am

Squib! Finally, long after I stopped thinking about it I remembered the term.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/di ... lish/squib
Swanky

Return to Main Forum