Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby rockgolf » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:56 am

Neel: Took a while, but I finally put that Sporcle quiz on bookended initials together.
Hope you appreciate the URL
Bookended Initials
rockgolf

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:53 am

rockgolf wrote:Neel: Took a while, but I finally put that Sporcle quiz on bookended initials together.
Hope you appreciate the URL
Bookended Initials

It looks good! Thanks for making it happen. I played it and got through it easily with your descriptions. I'll let the Sporcle commenters determine whether any further changes are needed (the names used, or the time allowed). Thanks for the in-joke on the URL; I may never have noticed it otherwise.

One quibble: you misspelled my last name in the "How to Play" section.

Edited to add: I've had a little more time to think, and it seems unfair to ignore others who contributed to the A-Z list: gwynn1984, titaniferous, grodney, Bill. Is there a way to link to this thread as the Source? Or link to the thread in the comments? Or at least list them (and us) in the comments?
Neel Mehta

Postby grodney » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:13 am

I'm so happy to see Keith Urban in there.
grodney

Postby rockgolf » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:22 am

Neel: Fixes and additional credits applied to the Bookends quiz. It did pretty good for not getting an Editor's Pick, but it may still get one!

Trying to find another C___ ___C celeb I found Norwegian hurdler Christina Vukicevic. What's special about her is that her husband footballer Vadim Demidov also qualifies under a tough letter!
rockgolf

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:23. Speaking of Academy Award nominations, I was working on a question last year about actors and actresses who were nominated as children (under the age of 18) and later as adults. For the purposes of this question, the key date is when the nominations are announced.

So, for an example that doesn't work, Angela Lansbury filmed Gaslight when she was 17, but she was 18 when the film was released and 19 when she received a nomination. There are a handful of other actors and actresses who similarly received their first nomination as a young adult aged 18-20: Mickey Rooney, Leonardo DiCaprio, Keira Knightley, and Jennifer Lawrence were some I came across. None of them apply here.

In the end, I found one actor and three actresses who qualify. They are listed below in chronological order.

A) The actor and the first actress were nominated as teenagers for the same 1955 movie, both in supporting roles. It's unclear if he was 16 or 17 when the nominations were announced, but both were 17 on the day of the ceremony. He was nominated again for a supporting role five years later, at the age of 21 or 22. She was nominated twice as an adult lead actress, when she was 24 and 26. If it helps,

Spoiler: show
The lead actor in that 1955 movie was also a nominee for the same ceremony, but for a different movie.

B) The second actress is the only winner in this group of four, and she's won twice. She was nominated in a supporting role at the age of 14, and then as a lead when she was 26, 29, and 32.

C) The third actress can, theoretically, catch up to the second actress. She was nominated in a supporting role at the age of 13, and then as a lead when she was 21. Her second nomination, announced in January 2016, prompted this question.

Bumped to add that the "third actress" -- Saoirse Ronan -- received her third nomination at age 23, for Lady Bird. And to point out that the death of the "first actress" -- Natalie Wood -- is back in the news.
Neel Mehta

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 am

In the spirit of film series, I'm going to pull a Peter Jackson and deny this thread a definitive ending. Let's keep going.

24. You're Just 2 Good 2 Be True. I'm thinking of 2 actors and 2 actresses that pair off in a total of 4 movies.

1997 movie: Actor 1 and Actress 1 were romantic leads, and Actor 1 sang the Frankie Valli song "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You".

1999 movie: Actor 2 and Actress 2 were romantic leads, and Actor 2 sang the Frankie Valli song "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You".

2000 movie: Actor 1 and Actor 2 played father and son. Actor 1 was reportedly paid $25 million to star.

2003 movie: Actress 1 and Actress 2 played professor and student. Actress 1 was reportedly paid $25 million to star.

In real life, Actor 1 and Actor 2 grew up outside the United States, on opposite coasts of the same country. Actress 1 and Actress 2 share the same first name.

Can you name both actors, both actresses, and all four movies?
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:Can you name both actors, both actresses, and all four movies?

There's no need — they already have names!

Mel Gibson sang along to the radio while watching Julia Roberts in Conspiracy Theory.

Heath Ledger serenaded Julia Stiles from the bleachers in Ten Things I Hate About You.

The two Aussies played American colonists in The Patriot.

The two Julias together gave us that Mona Lisa Smile.

Nice synergy in this one!
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Bill wrote:Nice synergy in this one!

Follow up question: To my knowledge, Actor 1 and Actress 2 have never collaborated, but they were in 2 different film adaptations of the same work, released in theaters 10 years apart. Her character is a love interest of his character. What's the work?

(I found nothing to connect Actress 1 and Actor 2. Actress 1's brother had a significant role in what was arguably the biggest film of Actor 2's career.)
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:37 am

Neel Mehta wrote:Follow up question: To my knowledge, Actor 1 and Actress 2 have never collaborated, but they were in 2 different film adaptations of the same work, released in theaters 10 years apart. Her character is a love interest of his character. What's the work?

Hamlet
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Correct again. Actress 2 has an official 4-film series in her filmography (2002, 2004, 2007, 2016), but right before that she did an unofficial trilogy of Modern Shakespeare (1999, 2000, 2001).
Neel Mehta

Previous

Return to Main Forum