Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Re: Morning Delight (A Final Set of Quickies)

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:09 am

rockgolf and grodney are correct. Answers and notes:

Neel Mehta wrote:12. Can you name the TV series based on the titles of 3 of its episodes?

C) Investors Dinner; Stennheiser-Pong Wedding Reception; Steve Guttenberg's Birthday
G) Black and Tan: A Crime of Fashion; Lassie Did a Bad, Bad Thing; Santa Barbarian Candidate
J) The Case of the Missing Screenplay; The Case of the Stolen Sperm; The Case of the Grievous Clerical Error!
K) The Truth in the Lye; The Foot in the Foreclosure; The Pathos in the Pathogens

Spoiler: show
C) Party Down
G) Psych
J) Bored to Death
K) Bones

Bill wrote:12. Can you name the TV series based on the titles of 6 of its episodes?

M) The Younger Woman; Eat, Drink, and Be Wary; Trust Me; The Juicer; Mr. Sandman; No More Mr. Nice Guy

N) Meet the Billionaire; Circus, Circus; Blow Out; Pandora’s Box; Ethics Schmethics; Toying with Disaster

I never provided the answer to these. Once I figured out the second one, the first one became clear. And disturbing.

M) The Cosby Show
N) The Apprentice

Neel Mehta wrote:14. Identify the popular songs based on a unique two-word phrase within the song's lyrics. The song's year of release appears in parentheses. For this set, one or both of the words is a proper noun.

M) Atlanta highway (1989)
O) Ma Teresa's (1996)
U) had Isotoners (2007)
W) discotheque Juliet (2014)

M) "Love Shack" by the B-52's
O) "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand" by Primitive Radio Gods
U) "Stronger" by Kanye West
W) "Shut Up and Dance" by Walk the Moon

Bill wrote:18. What do the following TV shows have in common?

Soap
Victorious
Arrested Development
Two and a Half Men
South Park

I danced around answering this one as well.

Each TV series has a regular cast member who is a ventriloquist and carries around a puppet, either for an extended subplot or permanently.

Neel Mehta wrote:19. Second Best. I'm thinking of a song by a British alternative rock band that hit #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1991. The song's title consists of exactly four words and one comma.

Its first part (before the comma) was also the title of a single from an American R&B girl group whose popular remix hit #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1993.

Its second part (after the comma) was also the title of a single from an American rock band that hit #2 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart in 1992.

Its full title (including the comma) was also the title of an unrelated dance-pop single from a British DJ that hit #2 on the UK Singles chart in 1999.

What's the song?

1991: "Right Here, Right Now" by Jesus Jones
1993: "Right Here" by SWV
1992: "Right Now" by Van Halen
1999: "Right Here, Right Now" by Fatboy Slim

Fun fact about SWV, short for Sisters With Voices. The three members have the first names of Tamara, Leanne, and Cheryl, and they originally called themselves TLC. Unfortunately for them, there was already another emerging girl group named TLC who were already signed to a record label.

I don't know how many questions this thread has left, but we can't stop at 19.

20. For a future thread I was going to try to compose a list of 26 famous names that start and end with the same letter of the alphabet. This is as far as I got:

Andy Garcia
Donna Reed
Edward Mulhare
Gig Young
Isabella Rossellini
Kevin Pollak
Lauryn Hill
Mia Hamm (of course)
Nancy Wilson
Reggie Miller
Serena Williams
Theodore Roosevelt

I thought the letter Z would be difficult to fill, but I quickly thought of two names, and they have quite a bit in common. Both are mixed-race actresses in their 20s. On TV, each appeared on a program that won multiple Emmys in September 2017. On the big screen, each has been cast in a role within Marvel's X-Men Universe.

Can you name the two actresses? Can you provide names for other missing letters on the list?
Neel Mehta

Postby rockgolf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:58 am

20. I can add a few more:
Bobby Hebb or Barry Gibb
Donny Osmond or Dusty Springfield
Howard K Smith
Irv Gotti
Jessie J - does that count?

One of the actresses is
Zoe Kravitz
rockgolf

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:28 am

Barry F’in Gibb! I even heard a Bee Gees song yesterday and was unable to put it together. Terrific find; he’s on the list.

I struggled with the H Smith problem. None are famous enough. I’m open to replacing E and G as well (without using E.B. White, preferably).

I’m going to replace Nancy Wilson with a more famous person with a less common surname: Nicole Kidman. I should have known Keith Urban would find a way to be represented here. In matters of wordplay, never doubt Keith Urban.

rockgolf has one of the two Z___ ___z actresses. The second is less well known. She is taking on a significant role in a 2018 sequel to a very popular film that is set in the X-Men Universe but does not have “X-Men” in its title.

ETA: Emma Stone. She was born with the name Emily, so it still works.
Neel Mehta

Postby rockgolf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:16 am

Just watched an anti-NRA video on Twitter and found the other actress in it! (Thanks to Closed Captioning)
Zazie Beetz from Atlanta. (Zoe was from Pretty Little Liars)
rockgolf

Postby rockgolf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:18 am

Would soap actress / one-hit wonder Gloria Loring work for the "G"s?

(And once you've got this complete, can I borrow it for a Sporcle quiz (with credit to you and clues, obviously).)
rockgolf

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:10 am

rockgolf has both actresses: Zoe Kravitz and Zazie Beetz (which appears to be her birth name). I like Gloria Loring over Gig Young. Also, I thought of Ethan Hawke, who was born with that name.

A: Andy Garcia
B: Barry Gibb
C:
D: Donna Reed
E: Ethan Hawke
F:
G: Gloria Loring
H:
I: Isabella Rossellini
J:
K: Kevin Pollak
L: Lauryn Hill
M: Mia Hamm
N: Nicole Kidman
O:
P:
Q:
R: Reggie Miller
S: Serena Williams
T: Theodore Roosevelt
U:
V:
W:
X:
Y:
Z: Zoe Kravitz

I’m all for Sporcle, but I’m not sure the list can be completed. Q and X might be impossible. I’m not optimistic about C, F, J, U, V, or Y right now, but it may be time for my last resort: Russian tennis players and NHL team rosters.

I think H (probably not a Smith) is possible. So are O, P, and W. If we included fictional characters, we could add a Hufflepuff witch, American Housewife son, and Dickens protagonist.

Here’s a follow-up question.

21. Zoe Isabella Kravitz was born In the late 1980s to a pair of famous parents: Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet. That means her birth was international news, so she has always had some level of fame. Also, Lenny Kravitz’s mother was actress Roxie Roker, probably best known for The Jeffersons. This makes Zoe a third-generation celebrity. Finally, Lisa Bonet divorced Lenny Kravitz in 1993 and married Jason Momoa in 2007, which means the new Aquaman from DC’s Justice League is Zoe’s stepfather.

In 2015, Zoe Kravitz appeared in the film Mad Max Fury Road, along with an actress who:

- made international news upon her birth in the late 1980s;
- is a third-generation celebrity;
- has had two previous stepfathers more widely known than Jason Momoa.

Who’s the actress?
Neel Mehta

Postby gwynn1984 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:18 pm

I finally got one of these! I guess I'm just living the life of...
Riley Keough
gwynn1984

Postby gwynn1984 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:39 pm

A couple of suggestions for the "starts and ends with the same letter" exercise (admittedly, they're not that great)...

For F, there's an actress named Fiona Dourif, who currently appears on Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Prior to that, she was probably best known for being in two of the many Child's Play sequels, which feature her Oscar-nominated father, Brad Dourif.

For P, you could use Patrick Stump, lead singer of Fall Out Boy, though his last name at birth included an H at the end.
gwynn1984

Postby titaniferous » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Christian LeBlanc
Harry Smith
Jagdish Raj
Olga Kurylenko
Pieter Stoop
Vladimir Nabokov
Yevgeny Kaspersky
titaniferous

Postby Neel Mehta » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 pm

Welcome, gwynn1984 and titaniferous!

The former is correct about #21. (Danielle) Riley Keough was born about 6 months after Zoe Kravitz. Her parents are Lisa Marie Presley — daughter of Elvis and Priscilla — and Danny Keough. When she was about 5-7 years old, Michael Jackson was her stepfather. When she was about 13-15, Nicolas Cage was her stepfather.

The latter read my mind about Christian LeBlanc and Vladimir Nabokov. I also found teen actress Olivia Rodrigo (though Olga Kurylenko is better for this) and Yasiin Bey — the former Mos Def — who may or may not stack up against Yevgeny Kaspersky. I can get on board with Harry Smith.

C: Christian LeBlanc
F: Fiona Dourif
H: Harry Smith
J: Jagdish Raj
O: Olga Kurylenko
P: Patrick Stump
Q:
U:
V: Vladimir Nabokov
W:
X:
Y: Yevgeny Kaspersky

That elusive W. I have my doubts about Q, U, and X.

I wonder if a Sporcle version of this would benefit if we included fictional characters. Cyrano de Bergerac and Philip Pirrip come to mind. I’ll keep looking.
Neel Mehta

Postby grodney » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:35 am

Neel Mehta wrote:That elusive W. I have my doubts about Q, U, and X

This is normally when one of the resident perl coders pops in with a quick scan of wikipedia titles.

Would would you trade Rulon Gardner for Reggie Miller.....a less-famous person for a less-common last name?

p.s. I'm an "r", though not famous. hahaha
grodney

Postby grodney » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:51 am

Cheating for w, by looking in Wikipedia:
Wikipedia has Wilfred and William Bigelow, though I don't think either is "famous". Lots of William Morrow entries, too. A couple for Walter Sparrow.

The wiki page for famous Romanians turns up dozens that end in "u", but none that start with "U".
grodney

Postby grodney » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:59 am

While looking for "w" in Wikipedia, I noticed:
WilliaM PhilliP MorroW (california politician) has a palindrome of first and last letters: WMPPMW.
grodney

Postby rockgolf » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:31 am

Would murdered El Salvadorean Archbishop Oscar Romero make a more famous "O" entry? He's on the road to becoming a saint next year.

There's a Ghanian Parlimentarian named Ursula Owusu. And a multi-million selling Japanese (born American) pop artist name Utada Hikaru.

Walter Glasgow is an American Olympic Silver medalist in sailing. William Callow is a noted English landscape painter. Woody Shaw is a significant jazz trumpeter.

Mr. Qazi Muhammad Farooq is Chief Election Commissioner of Election Commission Of Pakistan. (Yeah, it's a stretch.)

Xavier Leroux is a French classical composer, including 14 operas!
rockgolf

Postby Bill » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:44 am

Edmund Burke
Frank Dueckerhoff
Nancy Reagan
Olivia D'abo
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Lots of replies, and they're all appreciated. I seem to have hit upon something here.

I don't love any of the W options -- for a moment I got my Wadsworth and Wordsworth confused and thought William Longfellow was the answer -- but I'll go with Woody Shaw for now.

Oscar Romero vs. Olivia d'Abo vs. Olga Kurylenko. I'll take the Bond girl over the cousin of a Bond girl. The potential Saint is interesting, but even Roger Moore would pick Bond over Saint.

Nancy Reagan is/was arguably more famous than Nicole Kidman, but her husband is not in the Wordplay Hall of Fame.

A complete but not necessarily final list...

C: Christian LeBlanc
F: Fiona Dourif
H: Harry Smith
J: Jagdish Raj
O: Olga Kurylenko
P: Patrick Stump
Q: Qazi Farooq
U: Utada Hikaru
V: Vladimir Nabokov
W: Woody Shaw
X: Xavier Leroux
Y: Yevgeny Kaspersky

I'm not a Sporcle expert, but I would think the best format for this quiz would be click-to-match, where you list the 26 names alphabetically as options, and then provide the descriptions and ask to identify them. Seeing as how a group of us took days to formulate this list, I can't see users coming up with the names by themselves in 20 minutes.

Please keep an eye out for other possibilities.

22. I'm thinking of an actor who in real life is married to a woman with two Academy Awards. Recently he has acted in two unrelated projects: a feature-length comedy film released theatrically in 2015, and a TV network comedy that debuted in 2015 and is still on the air. In both projects, he is coupled with the same actress. And while she is not his real-life wife, she also has two Academy Awards. Name the actor.
Neel Mehta

Postby rockgolf » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:17 pm

22. I'm thinking of an actor who in real life is married to a woman with two Academy Awards. Recently he has acted in two unrelated projects: a feature-length comedy film released theatrically in 2015, and a TV network comedy that debuted in 2015 and is still on the air. In both projects, he is coupled with the same actress. And while she is not his real-life wife, she also has two Academy Awards. Name the actor.

James Brolin, married to Barbara Streisand (Best Actress, Best Song) in real life and Dianne Weist (2 Best Supporting Actress awards) in Life in Pieces.
rockgolf

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 am

rockgolf is correct. James Brolin and Dianne Wiest were also the parents of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler in the movie Sisters. I said "coupled" instead of "married" in my question because I stumbled across a Life in Pieces character description in Wikipedia that said their characters had divorced a long time ago to protest the institution of marriage on behalf of gay friends.

Unlike his real and fictional wives, James Brolin has never been nominated for an Academy Award, but his son has. Josh Brolin will be in next year's Deadpool 2, and his character Cable is presumably partnered with Domino, played by Zazie Beetz. It's all connected.

23. Speaking of Academy Award nominations, I was working on a question last year about actors and actresses who were nominated as children (under the age of 18) and later as adults. For the purposes of this question, the key date is when the nominations are announced.

So, for an example that doesn't work, Angela Lansbury filmed Gaslight when she was 17, but she was 18 when the film was released and 19 when she received a nomination. There are a handful of other actors and actresses who similarly received their first nomination as a young adult aged 18-20: Mickey Rooney, Leonardo DiCaprio, Keira Knightley, and Jennifer Lawrence were some I came across. None of them apply here.

In the end, I found one actor and three actresses who qualify. They are listed below in chronological order.

A) The actor and the first actress were nominated as teenagers for the same 1955 movie, both in supporting roles. It's unclear if he was 16 or 17 when the nominations were announced, but both were 17 on the day of the ceremony. He was nominated again for a supporting role five years later, at the age of 21 or 22. She was nominated twice as an adult lead actress, when she was 24 and 26. If it helps,

The lead actor in that 1955 movie was also a nominee for the same ceremony, but for a different movie.

B) The second actress is the only winner in this group of four, and she's won twice. She was nominated in a supporting role at the age of 14, and then as a lead when she was 26, 29, and 32.

C) The third actress can, theoretically, catch up to the second actress. She was nominated in a supporting role at the age of 13, and then as a lead when she was 21. Her second nomination, announced in January 2016, prompted this question.
Neel Mehta

Postby grodney » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:42 am

Neel Mehta wrote:B) The second actress is the only winner in this group of four, and she's won twice. She was nominated in a supporting role at the age of 14, and then as a lead when she was 26, 29, and 32.

I'll say
Jodie Foster
grodney

Postby gwynn1984 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:29 am

C) The third actress can, theoretically, catch up to the second actress. She was nominated in a supporting role at the age of 13, and then as a lead when she was 21. Her second nomination, announced in January 2016, prompted this question.

I'm sure she didn't get any sleep waiting for the announcement of that second nomination.

Saoirse Ronan
gwynn1984

Postby rockgolf » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:48 am

A) The actor and the first actress were nominated as teenagers for the same 1955 movie, both in supporting roles. It's unclear if he was 16 or 17 when the nominations were announced, but both were 17 on the day of the ceremony. He was nominated again for a supporting role five years later, at the age of 21 or 22.

No idea on the actress, but reasonably confident the actor is
Sal Mineo.

ETA: :roll: Of course! That would make the actress
Natalie Wood!
rockgolf

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:06 pm

grodney, gwynn1984, and rockgolf picked apart that question like a team.

I think I'm out of quickie questions.

I had some loose thoughts about listing non-sequel movies that reunite a lead actor and a lead actress (like Runaway Bride, or The Door in the Floor, or even Assassin's Creed), but lead acting can be subjective and IMDb is erratic in its credit listings. More importantly, would you even recognize any reunion besides Runaway Bride? Who would remember that Jeff Bridges and Kim Basinger made Nadine and reunited 17 years later? Bill knows that Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard did Macbeth together, but would he even draw upon that knowledge for a question about Assassin's Creed? This ventures out of puzzle solving and into mind reading.

I also wondered how many automobile models share a name with NASA vehicles. I thought it was interesting that all parts of the phrase "Land Rover Discovery" were relevant to space exploration, and that the Mitsubishi Endeavor and Space Shuttle Endeavour were both retired in 2011. But I couldn't formulate a good question.

I thought about how Lisa Bonet has a famous spouse and a famous ex-spouse who are, to some extent, from different walks of life. I was reminded of John McEnroe's 2002 memoir, where I knew that he was once married to Tatum O'Neal, but learned that he is now married to singer Patty Smyth. Maybe collect a list of famous ex-spouses in Group A and current famous spouses in Group B, and match them up? Sounds like a Sporcle quiz, maybe.

Finally, I discovered that Walter Matthau was born Walter Matthow, which would have solved my W problem for Question #20 if he hadn't changed his surname.

Anyone else?
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:Bill knows that Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard did Macbeth together, but would he even draw upon that knowledge for a question about Assassin's Creed?

No, I wouldn't have known Assassin's Creed. But I just read a plot summary on Wikipedia, and came up with this:

"In what movie does Marion Cotillard convert Michael Fassbender into an assassin in medieval Europe, causing him to have hallucinations of blood and a vision of a genealogical line spanning distant generations?"

I believe the earliest recorded use of the word "assassination" (in that form) is from Shakespeare's Macbeth, so there's a nice synergy here.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Bill wrote:"In what movie does Marion Cotillard convert Michael Fassbender into an assassin in medieval Europe, causing him to have hallucinations of blood and a vision of a genealogical line spanning distant generations?"

Wow. That's... pretty good. Admittedly, I would not have come up with this; multiple meanings are more in your wheelhouse. Maybe there's a way to repurpose other reunion movies this way and make a new thread.

We build lists, but I don't know how effective this board can be for collaborating on questions. Generally, every question or puzzle that is posted is already processed and complete. While I have maybe three new non-quickie threads of usable material for the rest of the year, I have a few more discarded ideas.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:41 pm

Bill wrote:
Neel Mehta wrote:So you can add those 7 films to a growing list that includes The Fourth Protocol (1987), Out of Sight (1998), The Help (2011), and TV's Game of Thrones. Reasons supplied below.

The Fourth Protocol: two Alfred Pennyworths (Michael Gough and Michael Caine)
Out of Sight: two Bruce Waynes/Batmen (Michael Keaton and George Clooney)
The Help: two Gwen Stacys (Bryce Dallas Howard and Emma Stone)
Game of Thrones: two Sarah Connors (Lena Headey and Emilia Clarke)

Can you add others?

Not surprisingly, my first thought was to go to Shakespeare.

Gardens of Stone (1987): Two Othellos (James Earl Jones and Laurence Fishburne)
Dead Again (1991): Two Hamlets (Derek Jacobi and Kenneth Branagh)
Lord of the Rings (2001): Two Kings Lear (Ian Holm and Ian McKellen)
X-Men (2014): Two Macbeths (Ian McKellen and Michael Fassbender)

I just got back from seeing the new Murder on the Orient Express film, and it helps us add to this list.

Like Dead Again, it features Derek Jacobi and Kenneth Branagh (Two Hamlets). But Jacobi is playing the valet Masterman, the same role John Gielgud played (by a different name, but based on the same character from the novel) in the 1974 film. Therefore, any collaboration between Gielgud and Jacobi can be added to the list, including Branagh's Hamlet and the 1979 film The Human Factor.
Bill

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum