Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Reunions

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Reunions

Postby Bill » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:14 pm

This is based on an idea Neel suggested in another thread.

The idea is that one description is used to fit two movies, as we've done before. The difference is that these pairs of movies will star the same two actors.

I've done this as a Variables-style puzzle, where you have to figure out the actors. But unlike the doubled descriptions in that thread, there is only one correct answer for each variable here.

For example, if I said...

[ C ] converts [ E } into an assassin in medieval Europe, causing him to have hallucinations of blood and a vision of a genealogical line spanning distant generations.

...the answer could be both Macbeth and Assassin's Creed, but the variable answers would be Marion Cotillard and Michael Fassbender in both cases.

Each variable represents one actor throughout the puzzle, and the variable letters are alphabetized by the actor's last name.

This is really experimental, so be prepared to give some leeway in applying descriptions to movies.

1. [ A ] finds it difficult to be a caretaker without the help of [ H ].

2. [ B ] and [ J ] would probably make a great couple, but first they have to find a way to get their timing right.

3. [ D ] is trying to get to a good place and finds an unlikely ally to help him get there, as his best friend [ A ] can’t do it alone.

4. [ F ] is interested in having a relationship with [ K ], but is concerned that her past has given her a reputation for being “fast.”

5. Navy veteran [ G ] is encouraged by his romantic interest [ K ] to become educated in a way that will improve his career trajectory.

6. [ G ] and [ L ] agonize over whether they should meet in person following an epistolary flirtation.

7. [ K ] and [ I ] enter into a dishonest relationship even as they wonder if they can fully trust each other.

8. [ J ] is willing to defy fate to avoid having to deal with the possible death of his love [ M ].

And remember, the more you solve... actually, I have no idea. Let me know how it goes.
Bill

Re: Reunions

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:48 pm

The variables approach certainly makes it more challenging. I found a way in and have answers for #4-7 (so I know who F, G, I, L, and K are, in addition to C and E). None of those people are connected to the rest of the puzzle, but the alphabetical nature of the variables might help.

I can't really call her N because of said alphabetical nature, but F (if I'm right about him) made three films with her, the latter two of which could be described as:

[ N ], who finds herself in a loving but strained marriage, meets another man named Paul by chance when both are caught in a storm, but their relationship is cut short by his death. [ F ] co-stars.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:03 am

[ A ] through [ D } (and only those) turn out to be the initials of the last names of the actors they represent.

Alphabetically, Neel's [ N ] would fall between my [ G ] and [ H ].

And since I'm not so happy with how #8 describes its two movies, I'll just go ahead and tell you that [ M ]'s first name is:

Spoiler: show
Charlize
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:51 am

Bill wrote:And since I'm not so happy with how #8 describes its two movies, I'll just go ahead and tell you that [ M ]'s first name is:

Charlize

Well, that narrows it down a little bit. Solved #2 and 8.

I thought of the second movie with B and J last night in connection with "epistolary flirtation," but gave up on it. I would have figured out M if I had known B and J, but honestly, I would not have figured out B and J had you not disclosed M.

This just leaves #1 and 3, with A, D, and H.
Neel Mehta

Postby Neel Mehta » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:49 am

I think I finished it. Helps to know that A and D are best friends and have last names that start with A and D, but even then I wasn't sure about H.

I'll just say that, if I'm right, one of the movies in #1 and one of the movies in #3 feature

George Carlin

in a supporting role.

I struggled with H a little bit, thinking instead of an alphabetically wrong actress (let's call her T) that also appeared in two films with my answer for A.

Well done! Less interconnected than your classic variables puzzles, but very impressive for an untested format. If A is who I think he is, then he has also done 2 unrelated movies with N. I'm not sure how to describe them the same way, but surprisingly, they do kind of share a major character.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:04 pm

I think you have them all.

These are a lot harder to put together than the types of dual descriptions we've done before. As a result, some of the clues can be a little too vague to figure out the two movies.

And so, I've designed the following puzzle so that the alphabetical order should be more helpful than usual, even though there are no overlaps. And I'll also give you a complete list of variables that are the same as the actor's last initial: C, J, S, W, Z.

Same rules as above apply: each description fits two movies and the two actors represented by the variables will be the same for each of those two movies. And again, allow some leeway in interpreting the clues.

1. [ P ] is attracted to [ A ], but she is too ensconced in her special day to be aware of his affections.

2. [ B ] makes a killing after bringing [ M ] into his business.

3. [ C ] and [ E ] were definitely in a crash together, but everything after that is a bit fuzzy.

4. [ D ] looks back at his involvement with glamourous ex-lover [ Z ] as a mistake.

5. [ F ] and [ W ] knew that relationships sometimes experience choppy waters, but never expected such a shipwreck. Kathy Bates co-stars in this historical drama.

6. [ G ] and [ Y ] learn they are more dauntless than they thought, as they face impending death.

7. [ H ] must cancel a planned trip, which allows him to spend more time smoking marijuana and pursuing romance with co-worker [ R ].

8. In Los Angeles, [ I ] attempts to woo [ T ] away from her boyfriend, with whom her connection is not as strong.

9. [ L ] knows some of [ J ]’s secrets from her stage magic participation, but she still can’t explain all of the inconsistencies in his story.

10. [ U ] finds himself surviving various situations against the odds, while killer [ K ] finds himself slowed down by his own fragility.

11. [ O ] spends most of the movie worried about the consequences of a mistake. But by the end of the movie, he comes to understand that he didn’t make any mistake, and he’s free to run off with [ X ].

12. [ Q ] is disgusted by [ N ]’s brutality, but this fighter understands: if he dies, he dies.

13. [ S ] would like to take [ V ]’s place, but is having trouble measuring up. Eventually, the two resolve their differences and become friends.

Good luck!
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 am

Solved! There’s a third movie that almost works for #8, if you ignore the boyfriend label and choose to interpret the final sequence a certain way.

I’ll admit that I needed help from Wikipedia (plot descriptions) and Box Office Mojo (alphabetical list of movie stars). Not positive about X and O.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:12 am

Neel Mehta wrote:Solved! There’s a third movie that almost works for #8, if you ignore the boyfriend label and choose to interpret the final sequence a certain way.

That movie was one of my original two, until I realized I could get more specific if I switched. I also wanted to include "[ I ] flips [ T ]," but I wasn't sure that was actually true in either movie.

It looks like it's just the two of us here, Neel. Feel free to post whatever you've got.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:15 am

The first set:

Bill wrote:1. [ A ] finds it difficult to be a caretaker without the help of [ H ].

2. [ B ] and [ J ] would probably make a great couple, but first they have to find a way to get their timing right.

3. [ D ] is trying to get to a good place and finds an unlikely ally to help him get there, as his best friend [ A ] can’t do it alone.

4. [ F ] is interested in having a relationship with [ K ], but is concerned that her past has given her a reputation for being “fast.”

5. Navy veteran [ G ] is encouraged by his romantic interest [ K ] to become educated in a way that will improve his career trajectory.

6. [ G ] and [ L ] agonize over whether they should meet in person following an epistolary flirtation.

7. [ K ] and [ I ] enter into a dishonest relationship even as they wonder if they can fully trust each other.

8. [ J ] is willing to defy fate to avoid having to deal with the possible death of his love [ M ].

My answers:

A = Ben Affleck
B = Sandra Bullock
C = Marion Cotillard
D = Matt Damon
E = Michael Fassbender
F = Richard Gere
G = Tom Hanks
H = Jennifer Lopez
I = Clive Owen
J = Keanu Reeves
K = Julia Roberts
L = Meg Ryan
M = Charlize Theron

1. Jersey Girl, Gigli
2. Speed, The Lake House
3. Good Will Hunting, Dogma
4. Pretty Woman, Runaway Bride
5. Charlie Wilson's War, Larry Crowne
6. Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail
7. Closer, Duplicity
8. The Devil's Advocate, Sweet November

The second set:

Bill wrote:1. [ P ] is attracted to [ A ], but she is too ensconced in her special day to be aware of his affections.

2. [ B ] makes a killing after bringing [ M ] into his business.

3. [ C ] and [ E ] were definitely in a crash together, but everything after that is a bit fuzzy.

4. [ D ] looks back at his involvement with glamourous ex-lover [ Z ] as a mistake.

5. [ F ] and [ W ] knew that relationships sometimes experience choppy waters, but never expected such a shipwreck. Kathy Bates co-stars in this historical drama.

6. [ G ] and [ Y ] learn they are more dauntless than they thought, as they face impending death.

7. [ H ] must cancel a planned trip, which allows him to spend more time smoking marijuana and pursuing romance with co-worker [ R ].

8. In Los Angeles, [ I ] attempts to woo [ T ] away from her boyfriend, with whom her connection is not as strong.

9. [ L ] knows some of [ J ]’s secrets from her stage magic participation, but she still can’t explain all of the inconsistencies in his story.

10. [ U ] finds himself surviving various situations against the odds, while killer [ K ] finds himself slowed down by his own fragility.

11. [ O ] spends most of the movie worried about the consequences of a mistake. But by the end of the movie, he comes to understand that he didn’t make any mistake, and he’s free to run off with [ X ].

12. [ Q ] is disgusted by [ N ]’s brutality, but this fighter understands: if he dies, he dies.

13. [ S ] would like to take [ V ]’s place, but is having trouble measuring up. Eventually, the two resolve their differences and become friends.

My answers:

A = Barrymore, Drew
B = Cooper, Bradley
C = Cruise, Tom
D = Cusack, John
E = Diaz, Cameron
F = DiCaprio, Leonardo
G = Elgort, Ansel
H = Eisenberg, Jesse
I = Gosling, Ryan
J = Jackman. Hugh
K = Jackson, Samuel L.
L = Johansson, Scarlett
M = Lawrence, Jennifer
N = Lundgren, Dolph
O = Phoenix, Joaquin
P = Sandler, Adam
Q = Stallone, Sylvester
R = Stewart, Kristen
S = Stiller, Ben
T = Stone, Emma
U = Willis, Bruce
V = Wilson, Owen
W = Winslet, Kate
X = Witherspoon, Reese
Y = Woodley, Shailene
Z = Zeta-Jones, Catherine

1. The Wedding Singer, 50 First Dates
2. Joy, and either American Hustle or Serena (?)
3. Vanilla Sky, Knight and Day
4. High Fidelity, America's Sweethearts
5. Titanic, Revolutionary Road
6. Divergent, The Fault in Our Stars
7. Adventureland, American Ultra
8. Crazy Stupid Love, Gangster Squad
9. The Prestige, Scoop
10. Pulp Fiction, Unbreakable
11. Walk the Line, Inherent Vice
12. Rocky IV, The Expendables
13. Meet the Parents, Zoolander
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:49 pm

For the first puzzle, your answers match mine. For the second puzzle, almost all of them do.

For #2, I intended

Joy and Serena.

For #8, you got the actors and my original two movies, but I shifted over to

Gangster Squad and La La Land.

For #11, you got one of my actors (possibly from the alphabetical order?) but not the other and therefore not the two movies I intended. My other actor would be alphabetized between [ K ] and { L ] from the first puzzle.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Bill wrote:For #11, you got one of my actors (possibly from the alphabetical order?) but not the other and therefore not the two movies I intended. My other actor would be alphabetized between [ K ] and { L ] from the first puzzle.

Okay. Then maybe it's...

Paul Rudd and Reese Witherspoon in Overnight Delivery and How Do You Know

There should be a question mark at the end of that, but for some reason there isn't. If [ X ] is right, I did get her because of this site. Your clues helped me get 4 or 5 of the 13 statements, but when I realized I couldn't even think of an actor that would fit between Willis and Winslet, I sought additional help.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:14 am

Yes, that's right.

Nice work! I wasn't sure if this would be solvable, even with outside help.
Bill

Return to Main Forum