Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Tony Danza syndrome

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Tony Danza syndrome

Postby marpocky » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Jeff Cogburn gave a great performance.

Wait, that's not right.
marpocky

Postby ejs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Not sure if you were intentionally referencing it marpocky, but there is a "real" Danza in that film. I assume it's the one Ken is thinking of.

On the subject of this syndrome and this movie, I noticed recently that Jeff Bridges is well known for a Tony (Danza) role (slightly asterisked since he, of course, "self-applies" a different name), AND has also starred in a Danza role. More interesting, though, is the related syndrome, which we might call the "Terry Danza" syndrome, where an actor very frequently plays (unrelated) roles with the same first name that ISN'T his own. In this case JB has played a "Jack" at least 8 times, not including the 2 characters (one in two films) that have the last name Jackson.

Can anyone think of any other "Terry" syndrome sufferers?
ejs

Postby rockgolf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:36 am

I assume Shia LaBoeuf was not available for the Matt Damon role?
rockgolf

Postby Ken Jennings » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:44 am

rockgolf wrote:I assume Shia LaBoeuf was not available for the Matt Damon role?

LOL. In case anyone is wondering, the correct "Danza" in True Grit is Barry Pepper as Lucky Ned Pepper.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby grodney » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:51 am

After watching The Blind Side, I was wondering how common Lilly Collins Syndrome is, where the character first name is the same as the actor last name? (This seems to be an extremely specialized case, where the character is an actual person!)

I figured John Wayne must have played a Wayne, but I find no evidence of such.
grodney

Postby PhygLeGuy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:36 pm

grodney wrote:I figured John Wayne must have played a Wayne, but I find no evidence of such.
One actor, albeit with an unrelated name, portrayed both a Wayne and a Morrison.
PhygLeGuy

Postby Maggith » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:30 pm

More interesting, though, is the related syndrome, which we might call the "Terry Danza" syndrome, where an actor very frequently plays (unrelated) roles with the same first name that ISN'T his own. In this case JB has played a "Jack" at least 8 times, not including the 2 characters (one in two films) that have the last name Jackson

Meg Ryan has has possibly four (if you count nicknames) Kates on her resume. When I went to confirm this I also discovered she's played a Maggie three times -- of personal interest to me.
Maggith

Postby mavman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:28 pm

What about the Bosley syndrome? In this syndrome, discovered in the '70s, a character has the same last name as an actor to whom he has a superficial resemblance.

I know this is much more subjective than the rest of this thread (due to the "resemblance" factor) but I notice a current example.

The lead character on a current TV drama has the same last name as actor who is of a very similar type. The actor playing the TV character was in one of the biggest hit movies of 2006, and I was half-way through the movie before I realized he wasn't the other actor.

Hint: The surname linking these two actors is not very common, but it is a very common first name.
mavman

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:47 am

mavman wrote:The lead character on a current TV drama has the same last name as actor who is of a very similar type. The actor playing the TV character was in one of the biggest hit movies of 2006, and I was half-way through the movie before I realized he wasn't the other actor.

The 17th biggest film of 2006? I don't think those two actors are all that similar, but the surname hint tells me they must be your answer.
Neel Mehta

Postby marpocky » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:10 am

I needed all those hints to figure out who you're talking about and I still only kind of see the resemblance. Is the other actor also currently playing the lead in a TV drama?
marpocky

Postby skullturfq » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:24 am

I think I need this one to be spelled out for me.
skullturfq

Postby Michelle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:55 pm

Yeah, I haven't been able to get this one either...
Michelle

Postby marpocky » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:22 pm

The ones I found, anyway, are:

Simon Baker plays Patrick Jane on The Mentalist and also resembles Thomas Jane.
marpocky

Postby carlopanno » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:44 am

Robert Altman used a variation of the Tony Danza Syndrome in his 1972 film Images, a captivating psychological thriller that I had to watch eight times (including twice in one night) before I finally understood what the hell was going on. (If you aren't 19 and captivated by Susannah York you my have an easier time of it.)

Susannah York plays Cathryn; a young teenager named Cathryn Harrison plays a character named Susannah; Rene Auberjoinois plays Cathryn's husband Hugh; "French Connection" badguy Marcel Bozuffi plays Cathryn's maybe-decease lover Rene; and Hugh Millais plays a character maned Marcel.

Altman said, with a laugh, that rehearsals were difficult and shooting was very confusing.

--c
carlopanno

Postby silverscreentest » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:28 am

And I thought there was trouble when Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner were dating and appearing in Valentine's Day.
My movie trivia game show: Silver Screen Test on YouTube
silverscreentest

Postby Bert » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:42 am

Tony Danza Syndrome: also a good name for misheard song lyrics. And easier to remember than mondegreen.
Bert

Re: Tony Danza syndrome

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:53 am

Back in 2011, Ken blogged:

I guess the opposite case–an actor sharing a last name with his character–would be called “Danza Syndrome.” It’s much less common in sitcoms, but it did happen in one of this year’s big Oscar nominees. Did you notice?

That time, it was Barry Pepper playing Lucky Ned Pepper in True Grit.

I'm reviving this thread 6 years later to point out it's happened again. In which Best Picture nominee (Arrival, Fences, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, Hidden Figures, La La Land, Lion, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight) can you find an actor who shares a last name with his or her character? If it helps, the last name is arguably the primary last name used in the film, applied to multiple main characters. And I'm talking about professional actors, not real-life people playing themselves.

Oh, and it happens twice -- so it's actually TWO of the above Best Picture nominees -- but one answer is noticeably easier to find than the other.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:39 am

Neel Mehta wrote:In which Best Picture nominee (Arrival, Fences, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, Hidden Figures, La La Land, Lion, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight) can you find an actor who shares a last name with his or her character? If it helps, the last name is arguably the primary last name used in the film, applied to multiple main characters. And I'm talking about professional actors, not real-life people playing themselves.

Oh, and it happens twice -- so it's actually TWO of the above Best Picture nominees -- but one answer is noticeably easier to find than the other.

I was able to deduce both films using only the clues in this text and the Internet Movie Database.

More examples can be found here.
Bill

Postby marpocky » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:53 am

Neel Mehta wrote:Back in 2011, Ken blogged:

I guess the opposite case–an actor sharing a last name with his character–would be called “Danza Syndrome.” It’s much less common in sitcoms, but it did happen in one of this year’s big Oscar nominees. Did you notice?

That time, it was Barry Pepper playing Lucky Ned Pepper in True Grit.

I'm reviving this thread 6 years later to point out it's happened again. In which Best Picture nominee (Arrival, Fences, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, Hidden Figures, La La Land, Lion, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight) can you find an actor who shares a last name with his or her character? If it helps, the last name is arguably the primary last name used in the film, applied to multiple main characters. And I'm talking about professional actors, not real-life people playing themselves.

This is driving me crazy. I *noticed* this when watching one of these movies earlier this week (I've seen 6 out of 9 so far), but now can't remember which one or who it was! I know the "major/easy" one (I haven't seen this film yet), but can't seem to relocate or recall the "minor/hard" one, which is the one I noticed.
marpocky

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14 am

marpocky wrote:This is driving me crazy. I *noticed* this when watching one of these movies earlier this week (I've seen 6 out of 9 so far), but now can't remember which one or who it was! I know the "major/easy" one (I haven't seen this film yet), but can't seem to relocate or recall the "minor/hard" one, which is the one I noticed.

If we are thinking of the same actor, then your word "minor" is a major hint.
Neel Mehta

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:30 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:In which Best Picture nominee (Arrival, Fences, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, Hidden Figures, La La Land, Lion, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight) can you find an actor who shares a last name with his or her character? If it helps, the last name is arguably the primary last name used in the film, applied to multiple main characters. And I'm talking about professional actors, not real-life people playing themselves.

It's been long enough, so here are the answers.

Manchester by the Sea is about the Chandler family, and actor Kyle Chandler plays a character named Joe Chandler.

Hell or High Water is about the Howard brothers (played by Chris Pine and Ben Foster), and teen actor John-Paul Howard plays Justin Howard, one of the sons of Pine's character.
Neel Mehta

Postby marpocky » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:

It's been long enough, so here are the answers.

Manchester by the Sea is about the Chandler family, and actor Kyle Chandler plays a character named Joe Chandler.

Hell or High Water is about the Howard brothers (played by Chris Pine and Ben Foster), and teen actor John-Paul Howard plays Justin Howard, one of the sons of Pine's character.

Thank you for putting me out of my misery.
marpocky

Return to Main Forum