Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Variables

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Re: Variables

Postby rockgolf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Bill: I've got it ready . Let me know what you think of the adaptation:

https://www.sporcle.com/games/rockgolf/ ... film-strip
rockgolf

Postby Bill » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:25 am

I like how you set it up. It was going to be ridiculously complex and confusing no matter what, but I think this works. Also, I like your "unpunished crime" edit. In the original puzzle, I had a different film in there, where nothing goes unpunished.

I noticed that you used Neel's answers instead of mine (the best-selling novels, Jon Voight film, and Bond title). I'd recommend you switch back to mine.

Otherwise, it looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing how people do with it.

rockgolf wrote:I would of course give you credit with a link to your website

You are too kind.
Bill

Postby rockgolf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:54 am

I've switched back the Bond title and replaced The Anderson Tapes link with The Hunt for Red October, but I think I'll keep the Old Gringo/ Coming Home chain in the first one because it works and the Fonda / Voight pairing in Coming Home would be more familiar than Catch-22.

I've also added some "anchor" films to each column, that pre-fill with the right answer, so that players can get a head start.
rockgolf

Postby Bill » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:36 am

rockgolf wrote:I've also added some "anchor" films to each column, that pre-fill with the right answer, so that players can get a head start.

I think that's a good idea. I wrote the puzzle for people who were able to look things up, so they could easily find the three people nominated for a posthumous Oscar who also did a film with a titular doctor, or the three presidents who were VP to a president who was portrayed in Lee Daniels' The Butler. But your solvers won't have time for that, so the anchor films seem appropriate.

They still might have trouble with some of the more obscure clues, like the uncredited cameo in a David Niven comedy, but that's why we have stat meters.

Thanks for putting this together.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 am

Neel Mehta wrote:I noticed that something in the news right now could be stated as a variables puzzle. If you're at all familiar with the situation, it should be easy to solve.

Mr. A was once the head coach at University 1, where he coached players Mr. B and Mr. C.
Mr. A, Mr. B, and Mr. C have all been enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Mr. A and Mr. C each have the same first and last name as their respective fathers.

Mr. D is the son of Mr. A and has the same first and last name.
Mr. E is the son of Mr. B and has the same first and last name.
Mr. F is the son of Mr. C and has the same first and last name (but uses a nickname).

Mr. A and University 1 (with Mr. C as a player) nearly suffered one of the biggest NCAA Tournament upsets in history to University 2.
Mr. D played at University 2 and started his coaching career there as an assistant and then a head coach.

Mr. D eventually was hired as head coach of University 1.
Mr. E transferred into University 1, where he was coached by Mr. D.
Mr. D coached and Mr. E played their way into the Final Four, something University 1 had not done since Mr. A was a coach and Mr. B was a player.
Mr. E was later hired by University 1 to be part of Mr. D's staff.
Mr. E has a son with the same first and last name.

Mr. F enrolled in University 1, where he was coached by Mr. D, but in 2017 it was reported that he intends to transfer.
Mr. D was fired as head coach by University 1 in 2017 and replaced by Mr. B.
Mr. B cannot retain his son, Mr. E, on his staff because University 1 has an anti-nepotism clause.

It's been a couple of weeks. Congratulations to grodney for figuring it out.

Answers:

University 1 = Georgetown University
University 2 = Princeton University

Mr. A = John Thompson (Jr.)
Mr. B = Patrick Ewing
Mr. C = Alonzo Mourning (Jr.)
Mr. D = John Thompson III
Mr. E = Patrick Ewing, Jr.
Mr. F = Alonzo Mourning III, aka Trey Mourning

There's also John Thompson Sr., Alonzo Mourning Sr., and young Patrick Ewing III.

The Sporting News has an article about the punchline of my variables puzzle, that Patrick Ewing, Jr. can't stay on the Georgetown staff now that his father is the head coach. It's funny when you consider that the elder John Thompson still controls things at Georgetown from a sort of emeritus position, creating that tangled web I described above, but somehow eluding that anti-nepotism university policy until now.
Neel Mehta

Previous

Return to Main Forum