Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Variables

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Re: Variables

Postby Bill » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:03 pm

marpocky wrote:I don't think the alphabetical order necessarily has to be sacrificed.

How would you represent that in Sporcle?
Bill

Postby marpocky » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Bill wrote:
marpocky wrote:I don't think the alphabetical order necessarily has to be sacrificed.

Just label the clues A-Z, etc., just like they are here. Or if necessary, add another section to the "map" where the names also appear in a list on the side.
marpocky

Postby Bill » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:24 am

marpocky wrote:
Bill wrote:

Just label the clues A-Z, etc., just like they are here. Or if necessary, add another section to the "map" where the names also appear in a list on the side.

Thanks, Marpocky. I've never made a Sporcle, so I don't know what the options are.

But now I'm thinking I should probably sign up for an account, since a lot of the stuff I post here would be appropriate (perhaps even more appropriate) for that format.

Rockgolf, hold off on posting my last puzzle. Let me see if I can figure this out.
Bill

Postby rockgolf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:32 am

Will do. I can put up what I've done as a private quiz so you can see what I've got so far. I've put the puzzle into a Word doc that included as text both the numbers and and answers (with the answers unreadable. I took a screen print of the text and uploaded it as a picture. Then I created a "map" format puzzle where each word appears on screen as you enter it.

It still look ugly - I'd like to superimpose the numbers over each blue rectangle containing the answers. And I suspect it will be very tough to play even when I've filled in non-repeating answers on about every third line. I recognize how difficult it must be to come up with these, but I wish there was a way to cross-clue, for example, Channing Tatum not just with Stockard Channing but with Tatum O'Neal and her with her father Ryan O'Neal, and Ryan with Meg Ryan...

Here's the private version. (For those who played the original, I've taken a slightly different path near the end.) http://www.sporcle.com/games/rockgolf/w ... res-a-will
rockgolf

Postby Bill » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:40 am

Thanks, Rockgolf. I like the substitution you made at the end. "Julie" was too common of a name to leave unmatched. It was worth the Hurt.

I hear you about the cross-referencing, but once you get your chain of names, you have to find interlinking movies that also happen to share common words. Getting even this much cross-referencing in a chain is a major challenge. So mabye the earlier Variables puzzles in the thread would fit better into Sporcle than the Six Degrees variety.

I've been trying to figure out how to create a puzzle so that you get one word per box, as your music puzzle above, but without luck. I'm thinking you probably just made six columns and made sure everything lined up.

I don't have the option to create a "Map" puzzle, and don't see the link to request access to make one. Any thoughts?
Bill

Postby rockgolf » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:17 pm

I don't know how they can extend the Map function to a new user, but I'll drop a note to "the powers that be" and see if you can be given it.

Did you want me to try one of your smaller chains to see if there's a "market" for this sort of thing?

I'm also thinking you might be better off not trying to make every film/actor connect to another. So you could have separate sentence that connected Tatum O'Neal to Channing Tatum to Stockard Channing without having to connect them thru sometimes obscure films or secondary film roles.
rockgolf

Postby Bill » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:24 am

rockgolf wrote:Did you want me to try one of your smaller chains to see if there's a "market" for this sort of thing?

Sure. Probably the best one to start with would be the first puzzle on the second page of the thread, the one that starts with "1. The [ O ] was a character from the [ A ] ‘N [ B ] Show…".

I like your idea about including several independent chains rather than one long chain. It might be some time before I'm able to return working on these, but that's where I'll go next.

If anyone's curious about my 102-variable behemoth above, the solution follows:

Spoiler: show
Six Degrees of Separation (1993)
Donald Sutherland
Cold Mountain (2003)
Jude Law
All the King’s Men (2006)
Kate Winslet
The Reader (2008)
Ralph Fiennes
The Hurt Locker (2008)
Jeremey Renner
American Hustle (2013)
Bradley Cooper
The A-Team (2010)
Jessica Biel
The Rules of Attraction (2002)
Kate Bosworth
21 (2008)
Kevin Spacey
American Beauty (1999)
Chris Cooper
The Tempest (2010)
Helen Mirren
Raising Helen (2004)
Kate Hudson
How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days (2003)
Matthew McConaughey
Interstellar (2014)
Jessica Chastain
Miss Julie (2014)
Colin Farrell
Phone Booth (2002)
Kiefer Sutherland
The Three Musketeers (1993)
Charlie Sheen
Wall Street (1987)
Martin Sheen
Apocolypse Now (1979)
Robert Duvall
The Judge (2014)
Robert Downey Jr.
Iron Man 3 (2013)
Guy Pearce
Rules of Engagement (2000)
Samuel L. Jackson
Coach Carter (2005)
Channing Tatum
21 Jump Street (2012)
Jonah Hill
The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
Leonardo DiCaprio
The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)
Jeremy Irons
Stealing Beauty (1996)
Joseph Fiennes
Hercules (2014)
John Hurt
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)
Colin Firth
The King’s Speech (2010)
Helena Bonham Carter
Frankenstein (1994)
Robert De Niro
The Good Shephard (2006)
William Hurt
A Time of Destiny (1998)
Stockard Channing
Six Degrees of Separation (1993)
Bill

Postby skullturfq » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:38 pm

Return of Variables Puzzles!

Earlier in this thread, some of us tried composing Variables puzzles with a very small number of facts.

Here's one I thought of today that uses five variables and one fact.

[B][C][D] was a supporting actor in the TV show that starred [E][A] as [E][C].
skullturfq

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:11 am

skullturfq wrote:Here's one I thought of today that uses five variables and one fact.

[B][C][D] was a supporting actor in the TV show that starred [E][A] as [E][C].

Would knowledge of a certain TV reunion last Friday come in handy?

I thought of a similar one while solving yours:

[C][A][F] was a supporting actor in the TV show [E] that starred [E][D] as [E][F].
It co-starred [G][B], who got married during the show's run and became [G][B]-[E].
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:36 am

Nice finds!

Building on those…

1. [ K ] [ S ] [ T ] was a supporting actor in the TV show that starred [ U ] [ A ] as [ U ] [ S ].

2. [ D ] [ B ] [ Q ] was a supporting actor in the TV show [ O ] that starred [ O ] [ P ] as [ O ] [ Q ]. It starred [ V ] [ C ] who got married during the show's run and became [ V ] [ C ]-[ O ].

3. [ J ] [ W ] got his start in a show that starred [ F ] [ L ] as [ F ] [ M ].

4. In 2014, [ Z ] [ G ] [ N ] was nominated for an [ E ] for the show he stars in with [ E ] [ R ] and [ I ] [ A ] [ X ].

5. [ J ] is a common nickname for [ K ].

6. [ U ] [ A ], [ O ] [ P ], [ J ] [ W ], and [ Z ] [ G ] [ N ] all starred together in the 2007 film [ Y ] [ H ].
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Bill wrote:Nice finds!

Building on those…

1. [ K ] [ S ] [ T ] was a supporting actor in the TV show that starred [ U ] [ A ] as [ U ] [ S ].

2. [ D ] [ B ] [ Q ] was a supporting actor in the TV show [ O ] that starred [ O ] [ P ] as [ O ] [ Q ]. It starred [ V ] [ C ] who got married during the show's run and became [ V ] [ C ]-[ O ].

3. [ J ] [ W ] got his start in a show that starred [ F ] [ L ] as [ F ] [ M ].

4. In 2014, [ Z ] [ G ] [ N ] was nominated for an [ E ] for the show he stars in with [ E ] [ R ] and [ I ] [ A ] [ X ].

5. [ J ] is a common nickname for [ K ].

6. [ U ] [ A ], [ O ] [ P ], [ J ] [ W ], and [ Z ] [ G ] [ N ] all starred together in the 2007 film [ Y ] [ H ].

Nice way to tie it all together. But shouldn't [ O ][ P ] be [ P ][ O ]?
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:39 pm

Whoops!

Note to solvers: for some reason, [ P ] is not in the correct alphabetical order (it should be between [ M ] and [ N ]).

Thanks, Neel.
Bill

Postby Bill » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:04 am

IF…

The musical [ P ] [ R ] was made into a film featuring [ G ] [ C ], [ A ] [ T ], [ V ] [ U ], and [ Q ] [ W ]…

AND…

The novel [ X ] [ J ] [ Y ] [ S ] was made into a film featuring [ K ] [ D ], [ B ] [ L ], and [ Q ] [ W ]…

AND…

The musical [ O ] [ X ] [ Z ] was made into a film featuring [ G ] [ C ], [ K ] [ D ], [ I ] [ N ], and [ Q ] [ W ]…

AND…

The fairy tale [ H ] was made into a film featuring [ M ] [ E ] [ F ] and [ V ] [ U ]…

THEN…

What musical was made into a film featuring [ M ] [ E ] [ F ], [ B ] [ L ], [ I ] [ N ], and [ A ] [ T ]?

All five films are from the past ten years.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:04 pm

Bill wrote:IF…

The musical [ P ] [ R ] was made into a film featuring [ G ] [ C ], [ A ] [ T ], [ V ] [ U ], and [ Q ] [ W ]…

AND…

The novel [ X ] [ J ] [ Y ] [ S ] was made into a film featuring [ K ] [ D ], [ B ] [ L ], and [ Q ] [ W ]…

AND…

The musical [ O ] [ X ] [ Z ] was made into a film featuring [ G ] [ C ], [ K ] [ D ], [ I ] [ N ], and [ Q ] [ W ]…

AND…

The fairy tale [ H ] was made into a film featuring [ M ] [ E ] [ F ] and [ V ] [ U ]…

THEN…

What musical was made into a film featuring [ M ] [ E ] [ F ], [ B ] [ L ], [ I ] [ N ], and [ A ] [ T ]?

All five films are from the past ten years.

Another nice one. There's no way to use variables to answer the question, so let me just say that you completely used up the filmography of [I] [N]. I had no idea who that person was, much like Shea Whigham in an earlier variable puzzle. (I learned who Shea Whigham was later, when he was on a TV series starring an actress who is not used in the puzzle above, but who appears in [H], presumably at the beginning.)
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:45 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:Another nice one. There's no way to use variables to answer the question, so let me just say that you completely used up the filmography of [I] [N]. I had no idea who that person was, much like Shea Whigham in an earlier variable puzzle. (I learned who Shea Whigham was later, when he was on a TV series starring an actress who is not used in the puzzle above, but who appears in [H], presumably at the beginning.)

Thanks.

Actually, [ I ] [ N ] was who started this puzzle. When I saw [ O ] [ X ] [ Z ] a few months ago, I recognized him from [Answer]. Then, I noticed that [ Q ] [ W ] was reunited with co-stars from two other films she was in, each of which also featured an actress who was in [Answer]. I saw [ H ] this past Sunday (with my niece) and the puzzle was done.
Bill

Postby Bill » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:25 am

Answers below:

A Amanda
B Anne
C Baranski
D Blunt
E Bonham
F Carter
G Christine
H Cinderella
I Daniel
J Devil
K Emily
L Hathaway
M Helena
N Huddlestone
O Into
P Mamma
Q Meryl
R Mia
S Prada
T Seyfried
U Skarsgård
V Stellan
W Streep
X The
Y Wears
Z Woods
Bill

Postby Bill » Sat May 02, 2015 12:47 am

LIST OF EVENTS

1. Author [ Y ] [ N ] completes a five-volume biography of [ I ] [ Y ].

2. [ N ] [ C ] writes the song “[ W ] [ X ]” for a stage musical. Notable covers will later be recorded by [ P ] [ K ], [ P ] [ H ], and [ B ] [ Q ].

3. [ I ] [ J ] writes the aria “[ V ][ X ]” for the opera [ S ] [ A ] [ D ]. Many notable covers will be recorded, but the version by [ E ] [ K ] will be the first to chart in the US.

4. [ P ] [ K ] wins an Academy Award for playing [ E ] [ G ] in the film [ F ] [ Z ].

5. [ P ] [ H ] is nominated for an Academy Award for the film A [ U ] [ O ] [ F ], featuring music by [ M ] [ J ].

6. A stage musical features a non-human character named [ T ] singing about his excited anticipation for [ W ][ X ] in a song called “[ W ][ X ].”

7. [ B ] [ Q ] [ O ] [ F ] [ L ] [ C ].

8. [ B ] [ Q ] wins a Tony Award for playing [ D ] in the Broadway revival of [ S ] [ A ] [ D ].

9. A musical film features a non-human character named [ R ] singing about his excited anticipation for [ V ][ X ] in a song called “[ L ] [ V ].”

10. [ B ] [ Q ] wins a Tony Award for playing [ E ] [ K ].

Notes:

The ten events above are in chronological order.

When drawn, [ T ] and [ R ] are the same color. In his own universe, [ T ] happens to have a brother named [ R ].

[ V ] and [ W ] each have a different doubled letter. Otherwise, the two words are identical.

Each variable represents one word, but may be combined above to produce compound words.

Feel free to use any resources you need. The more you solve, the easier it gets.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat May 02, 2015 4:23 am

You wanted to compose an all-variable sentence, didn't you?

Broadway is a bit outside my comfort zone, but I managed to figure it out. This exchange was filmed sometime between #7 and #8:

"Your dad is pretty scary."
"Isn't he?"
"Do you like [E] [K] ?"
"I love him."
"Right..."
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sat May 02, 2015 7:10 am

Nicely done.

I just realized that [ E ] [ K ] and [ P ] [ K ] spell their last names differently. One of them has a doubled letter.
Bill

Postby skullturfq » Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 pm

I finally figured this out, with some help. Theater is not one of my strong subjects.

Event #7 could actually be lengthened to

[ B ] [ Q ] [ O ] [ F ] [ L ] [ C ] [ L ] [ V ].
skullturfq

Postby Bill » Tue May 05, 2015 1:14 am

skullturfq wrote:I finally figured this out, with some help. Theater is not one of my strong subjects.

Event #7 could actually be lengthened to

[ B ] [ Q ] [ O ] [ F ] [ L ] [ C ] [ L ] [ V ].

True! Or maybe...

[ L ] [ V ][ X ] [ Y ] [ K ], [ S ] [ A ] [ D ] [ U ] [ B ] [ Q ] [ O ] [ F ] [ Z ] [ L ] [ C ].

…or maybe not.
Bill

Postby Bill » Sun May 10, 2015 8:28 am

Answers:

A And
B Audra
C Berlin
D Bess
E Billie
F Born
G Dawn
H Garland
I George
J Gershwin
K Holiday/Holliday
L In
M Ira
N Irving
O Is
P Judy
Q McDonald
R Olaf
S Porgy
T Snoopy
U Star
V Summer
W Supper
X Time
Y Washington
Z Yesterday
Bill

Postby skullturfq » Wed May 13, 2015 9:46 am

Incidentally, I didn't previously know the answer to the trivia question "Who has won the most Tony awards as a performer?" even though that seems like a very natural trivia question.
skullturfq

Postby Bill » Fri May 15, 2015 4:49 am

skullturfq wrote:Incidentally, I didn't previously know the answer to the trivia question "Who has won the most Tony awards as a performer?" even though that seems like a very natural trivia question.

[ B ] [ Q ] is also the only person who has won in all four acting categories, another natural trivia question. It's a recent development, though, achieved when she won for playing [ E ] [ K ].

I didn't see any of her winning performances, but I did see her play Olivia to Anne Hathaway's Viola in the Shakespeare in the Park production of Twelfth Night in 2009.

More Tony trivia here.
Bill

Postby Bill » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:08 pm

This space intentionally left blank.
Bill

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum