Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Variables

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Re: Variables

Postby Bill » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:12 pm

This one is somewhat experimental, so please bear with me. Be forewarned that the Variables puzzle below has an unusual twist. I fully expect solvers to use sources.

----------

[ ??? ] was nominated for a Golden Globe for an early ‘90’s film he did with [ 2 ] and [ 3 ], but he lost to [ 4 ] for a role he played opposite [ 5 ].

[ 5 ] is the son of veteran actor [ 6 ], who was in a 1950’s western starring Gary Cooper.

In the 2010’s, [ 4 ] appeared in a film playing a real-life 19th-century Governor of New York who went on to serve in the federal government.

[ 3 ] and [ 7 ] starred together in a 1981 film that featured M. Emmet Walsh.

[ 7 ] played “Kay” in a well-known film trilogy.

Anne Hathaway stars with [ 8 ] in a film about a successful businesswoman and her relationship with her lower-level employee.

[ 8 ] won two Academy Awards before 1985. One was for playing a character that was, for part of the film, married to the character played by [ 2 ].

The other Academy Award won by [ 8 ] before 1985 was for a film co-starring [ ??? ].
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:04 pm

You are insane. I can't come up with a single answer to any of these.
Neel Mehta

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Okay. Based on the tense of a single verb in your variables puzzle, which I assume is intentional, and your choice to label the first and last person as "???" rather than 1, I think I have it. But I have no way of saying much here without giving it away.

I will say that I originally wanted to congratulate you for composing a maze in word form, but it's really more like a

Spoiler: show
Möbius strip.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Neel, that's exactly what I had in mind. Nice solving!

Here's a more explicit version of the twist:

First, solve the puzzle by finding nine performers to fit the variables, with different performers in the two [ ??? ] spaces, so that all statements are correct.

Then, reset the numbered variables, switch the values of the two [ ??? ] spaces, and you can solve the puzzle again with a different set of seven performers in the numbered variables.
Bill

Postby Bill » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:40 pm

Solution:

1. Kevin Kline (Soapdish)
2. Cathy Moriarty (Raging Bull)
3. Sally Field (Back Roads)
4. Robin Williams (Night at the Museum)
5. Jeff Bridges (The Fisher King)
6. Lloyd Bridges (High Noon)
7. Tommy Lee Jones (Men in Black trilogy)
8. Robert De Niro (The Intern)
9. Al Pacino (The Godfather, Part II)

OR

1. Al Pacino (Dick Tracy)
2. Dustin Hoffman (Kramer vs. Kramer)
3. Warren Beatty (Reds)
4. Bruce Davison (Saving Lincoln)
5. Campbell Scott (Longtime Companion)
6. George C. Scott (The Hanging Tree)
7. Diane Keaton (Godfather trilogy)
8. Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada)
9. Kevin Kline (Sophie's Choice)
Bill

Postby Bill » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:59 am

Here is another Möbius strip. Again, I request your generosity in the interpretation of my clues.

----------

[ ??? ] plays a government official in a 1967 British film he did with [ 2 ].

[ 2 ] did a variety of silent films in the 1920’s; it wasn’t just Tramp, Tramp, Tramp…

[ 2 ] died in 1977.

[ 3 ] plays [ 2 ] in a well-known biopic.

[ 3 ] and [ 4 ] star together in a famous detective film and its less successful sequel.

[ 4 ] was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe for a film he did with Matt Damon and [ 5 ], but lost to [ 6 ].

Harold Faltermeyer did the iconic music for a film starring [ 6 ] and [ 7 ].

[ 8 ] plays a comical stoner in a film with [ 9 ] and also [ 7 ] wearing a flashy costume.

[ 9 ] is not related to actress [ 10 ], who will appear in the upcoming “Supergirl” series as a member of Kara’s foster family.

[ 8 ], [ 11 ], and Kevin Bacon star together in a film about adult men dealing with sexual abuse that occurred when they were children, while dealing with a more recent murder.

[ 5 ] and [ 11 ] star in the film version of a story that was originally a 19th-century magazine serial written by a prolific British novelist.

[ 9 ] plays a charming psychopath that inserts into the life of a young woman (played by [ 12 ]) in a film that has become a cult classic.

Anthony Hopkins plays a doctor in a 1990’s film based on a novel. The film also stars [ 12 ], [ 13 ], and [ 14 ].

[ 13] plays [ 15 ] in the 1999 film Cradle Will Rock.

[ 16 ] (or Ed, for short) plays [ 15 ] in a film that earned its title performer a BAFTA nomination.

[ 16 ] appeared in the 2006 film The Illusionist.

[ 14 ] did a film about a young student who is coerced into a performing a task involving a dragon, alongside [ ??? ].
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:57 pm

Bill wrote:[ 5 ] and [ 11 ] star in the film version of a story that was originally a 19th-century magazine serial written by a prolific British novelist.

I was having fun with this until I realized that I could solve the rest of the Möbius strip and still not get very far with #5 and #11. I thought I could fly through the above line, but it required some grown-up work just to get halfway done.

So far I have been unable to finish the job. I found a second #11 who appeared in a film version of a story that was originally a 19th-century magazine serial written by a prolific British novelist, but could find no famous second #5 in that film.

I assume actors David Conley and Michael Arthur, who are not famous but fit the criteria, are not the answers you want.

(Not that it counts, but I did find a second #5 who did a film version of a story that was originally serialized and written by a prolific French novelist.)

I'll try again tomorrow.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:14 am

[ 5 ] and [ 11 ] are both A-list celebrities.

The prolific British novelist:

Joseph Conrad or Charles Dickens
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:36 am

Bill wrote:The prolific British novelist:

Joseph Conrad or Charles Dickens

Oof. I got neither of those, which makes me wonder what else I got wrong. You may have gathered from my hints above that I settled on British novelist
J.M. Barrie (and was also trying to make H.G. Wells fit).

Earlier I sent you a PM with my progress, or lack thereof, but you don't need to reply. I think I want to figure this out.
Neel Mehta

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:12 am

Okay, got it now. I only had to rethink my answers for #5 and #11 to get the British novelists you graciously provided; it didn't really affect the rest of the Möbius strip.

The first author I listed above in spoiler text still totally works. The second author doesn't, and I would have had a hard time finding the real answer without your prompt.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:22 am

Actually, I think the second one works better, since War of the Worlds was originally a 19th-century magazine serial written by a prolific British novelist. You had to use a less famous person to get there, but that's more forgivable for the solver than it would have been for the intended solution. Your other alternate (Hook) was pretty neat as well, since you linked through with A-list actors, and both are impressive finds since I hadn't intended either path.

My intended solution:

1. Robert Hardy (Beserk)
2. Joan Crawford (Tramp, Tramp, Tramp)
3. Faye Dunaway (Mommie Dearest)
4. Jack Nicholson (Chinatown)
5. Martin Sheen (The Departed)
6. Eddie Murphy (Dreamgirls)
7. Judge Reinhold (Beverly Hills Cop)
8. Sean Penn (Mystic River)
9. Jennifer Jason Leigh (Fast Times at Ridgemont High)
10. Chyler Leigh (Supergirl)
11. Laurence Fishburne (Apocolypse Now)
12. Bridget Fonda (Single White Female)
13. John Cusack (Cradle Will Rock)
14. Matthew Broderick (Road to Wellville)
15. Nelson Rockefeller (Frida)
16. Edward Norton (The Illusionist)
17. Marlon Brando (The Freshman)

OR

1. Marlon Brando (A Countess from Hong Kong)
2. Charlie Chaplin (1. The Kid, 2. The Idle Class, 3. Nice and Friendly)
3. Robert Downey Jr. (Chaplin)
4. Jude Law (Sherlock Holmes)
5. Gwyneth Paltrow (The Talented Mr. Ripley)
6. Tom Cruise (Magnolia)
7. Val Kilmer (Top Gun)
8. Brad Pitt (Sleepers)
9. Christian Slater (True Romance)
10. Helen Slater (Supergirl)
11. Robert De Niro (Great Expectations)
12. Winona Rider (Heathers)
13. Cary Elwes (Cradle Will Rock)
14. Gary Oldman (Dracula)
15. John Houseman (Me and Orson Welles)
16. Eddie Marsan (The Illusionist)
17. Robert Hardy (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
Bill

Postby skullturfq » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:06 am

It's time for another Variables puzzle!

-----------------------------------------------

[H] [B] [N], better known as [B] [N], created the fictional character [M] [O].
[H] [F] created the fictional character [C] [L].
[I] [F] created the fictional character [R] [L].
[J] [P] created the fictional character [G] [N].
[K] [S] created the fictional character [G] "[O]" [A].
[R] [U] created the fictional character [D] [Q].
[J] [Q] acted in a TV series created by [E] [T].
[T] is a homophone of [U].
A [T] will sometimes eat a [O].
The names [R], [E], and [G] sometimes appear together.
skullturfq

Postby Bill » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:34 am

skullturfq wrote:It's time for another Variables puzzle!

Excellent!

This was challenging but not unreasonable. I had fun solving it.
Bill

Postby skullturfq » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:42 am

Glad you liked it!

Out of curiosity, what was your entry point? (My hope was that there was more than one plausible entry point.)
skullturfq

Postby Bill » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:10 am

skullturfq wrote:Glad you liked it!

Out of curiosity, what was your entry point? (My hope was that there was more than one plausible entry point.)

My entry point was this:

I tried to think of a TV show creator with a last name that could eat something.

From there I followed this path:

(Full answer spoilered below...)

Dick Wolf was the first person I thought of, which turned out to be correct. But then I thought [R] [U] was Virginia Woolf, a reasonable guess both alphabetically and contextually, but that took me off-track for a bit, trying to find a [Q] that fit a Woolf character and a Wolf actor.

Failing that, I moved to another clue. I wondered if [R], Dick, and [G] could be Tom, Dick, and Harry. That led me to Tom Wolfe, which gave me Charlotte Simmons and JK Simmons. That very rapidly gave me JK Rowling > Harry Potter > Beatrix Potter > Peter Rabbit > Harry "Rabbit" Angstrom > John Updike. (The more you solve, the easier it gets!)

But then I got stuck on the last four variables: [C], [F], [I], and [L]. We were looking for two authors with the same last name as each other who created two characters with the same last name as each other. I looked up Beatrix Potter's first name, so I knew one of the authors was named Helen. The character of the other author was named Tom. That still leaves a pretty wide field.

I had considered fictional characters named Tom (including Tom Jones, actually) but couldn't make the connection on the other side. Then, I did some heavy Internet research on authors named Helen, and I was ultimately able to find it. I had heard of the Bridget Jones series, but couldn't have told you the author was Helen Fielding if a true Daily Double had been riding on it.

Final Answer:

A Angstrom

B Beatrix

C Bridget

D Charlotte

E Dick

F Fielding

G Harry

H Helen

I Henry

J JK

K John

L Jones

M Peter

N Potter

O Rabbit

P Rowling

Q Simmons

R Tom

S Updike

T Wolf

U Wolfe
Bill

Postby Bill » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:59 pm

[ ???/1 ] and [ 2 ] appear together in a 1990’s Best Picture nominee, set primarily in a prison.

[ 2 ] plays a character with a mental impairment in another 1990’s film with [ 3 ] playing a character who tries to help.

[ 3 ] learns the hard way about the difficulties involved with bringing a new life into the world in another 1990’s film featuring [ 4 ] and Aidan Quinn.

[ 5 ] stars in one film based on a best-selling novel with [ 4 ] and another with [ 6 ].

[ 6 ] did a film with Jon Voight that shows the absurdly intense effects that war has on military men.

[ 5 ] plays a film spy who travels to a foreign country to foil an enemy plot, and earns the personal gratitude of the President of the United States.

[ 5 ] was not born in England or Ireland, but has English and Irish ancestry, and was raised Catholic.

[ 7 ] won a BAFTA award for a film also starring [ 5 ].

[ 7 ] and [ 8 ] have the same last name.

[ 9 ] was nominated for a posthumous Academy Award for a film he did with [ 8 ] and [ 10 ].

Bruce Willis plays a master criminal who gets tangled up with mobsters in a film he did with [ 10 ].

[ 9 ] and [ 11 ] starred together in a film in which the titular doctor has a dark secret.

[ 11 ] and [ 12 ] star in a film that won Best Picture and Best Director, but won no acting awards, despite two promising nominations, including [ 12 ].

[ 12 ] does an uncredited cameo in a silly David Niven comedy with an international setting.

[ 4 ] and [ 13 ] star in a film adaptation of a popular (though often banned) novel about characters seeking freedom from an oppressive society.

[ 13 ] and [ 14 ] play characters with seemingly supernatural powers in a popular film series.

[ 14 ] plays [ 15 ] in Lee Daniels’ The Butler.

[ 16 ] served as Vice President under President [ 15 ].

[ 1/??? ] plays President [ 16 ] in a historical drama with a succinct name.
Last edited by Bill on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

Postby Bill » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:49 pm

I've made a huge mistake.

I've always thought that two giant screen icons with the same last name were sisters. I have just learned they are not related.

I've edited the original post, taking out "[ 7 ] and [ 8 ] are siblings," and replacing it with "[ 7 ] and [ 8 ] have the same last name."
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:58 pm

I noticed you didn't say "The more you solve, the easier it gets" this time. I am working on it, but continue to get stuck. There are some surprisingly wrong answers that kind of fit. For example, I found three actors who played a VP-turned-President in a succinctly titled movie and also appeared in a 1990s Best Picture nominee primarily set in a prison.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:37 am

Neel Mehta wrote:I noticed you didn't say "The more you solve, the easier it gets" this time. I am working on it, but continue to get stuck. There are some surprisingly wrong answers that kind of fit. For example, I found three actors who played a VP-turned-President in a succinctly titled movie and also appeared in a 1990s Best Picture nominee primarily set in a prison.

Nice catch! All three actors are correct.

In fact, all of the variables have three possible correct answers.

Two of the tracks create a Möbius strip, as above. You can solve the puzzle by finding 17 individuals to fit the variables, with different individuals in the two [ ??? ] spaces, so that all statements are correct. Then, reset the numbered variables from [ 2 ] to [ 16 ], switch the values of the two [ ??? ] spaces, and you can solve the puzzle again with a different set of 15 individuals in those variables.

There's also a third track using a completely different set of 16 individuals that creates a single self-contained loop in which [ 1 ] = [ 1 ].

As an additional hint, I should note that in the self-contained loop, the two references to a film adaptation of a novel featuring [ 4 ] refer to the same film, which I admit is slightly inelegant.
Bill

Postby Neel Mehta » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:47 am

Solved. Exhausted.

Bill wrote:As an additional hint, I should note that in the self-contained loop, the two references to a film adaptation of a novel featuring [ 4 ] refer to the same film, which I admit is slightly inelegant.

It doesn't have to be. In that self-contained loop, [4] and [5] do a different film adaptation of a novel. Arguably, it also features characters seeking freedom from an oppressive society, but [13] is not in it. (The novel was banned in the Hunan province of China, according to Wikipedia.)

The self-contained loop:

[ 1 ] and [ 2 ] appear together in a 1990’s Best Picture nominee, set primarily in a prison.

Tom Wilkinson, Emma Thompson (In the Name of the Father)

[ 2 ] plays a character with a mental impairment in another 1990’s film with [ 3 ] playing a character who tries to help.

Emma Thompson, Kenneth Branagh (Dead Again)

[ 3 ] learns the hard way about the difficulties involved with bringing a new life into the world in another 1990’s film featuring [ 4 ] and Aidan Quinn.

Kenneth Branagh, Helena Bonham Carter (Mary Shelley's Frankenstein)

[ 5 ] stars in one film based on a best-selling novel with [ 4 ] and another with [ 6 ].

Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter (Alice in Wonderland), Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada)

[ 6 ] did a film with Jon Voight that shows the absurdly intense effects that war has on military men.

Meryl Streep (The Manchurian Candidate)

[ 5 ] plays a film spy who travels to a foreign country to foil an enemy plot, and earns the personal gratitude of the President of the United States.

Anne Hathaway (Get Smart)

[ 5 ] was not born in England or Ireland, but has English and Irish ancestry, and was raised Catholic.

Anne Hathaway

Jake Gyllenhaal, Anne Hathaway (Brokeback Mountain)

Jake Gyllenhaal, Maggie Gyllenhaal

[ 9 ] was nominated for a posthumous Academy Award for a film he did with [ 8 ] and [ 10 ].

Heath Ledger, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Morgan Freeman (The Dark Knight)

Bruce Willis plays a master criminal who gets tangled up with mobsters in a film he did with [ 10 ].

Morgan Freeman (Lucky Number Slevin)

[ 9 ] and [ 11 ] starred together in a film in which the titular doctor has a dark secret.

Heath Ledger, Christopher Plummer (The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus)

[ 11 ] and [ 12 ] star in a film that won Best Picture and Best Director, but won no acting awards, despite two promising nominations, including [ 12 ].

Christopher Plummer, Julie Andrews (The Sound of Music)

[ 12 ] does an uncredited cameo in a silly David Niven comedy with an international setting.

Julie Andrews (Trail of the Pink Panther)

[ 4 ] and [ 13 ] star in a film adaptation of a popular (though often banned) novel about characters seeking freedom from an oppressive society.

Helena Bonham Carter, Hugh Jackman (Les Miserables)

[ 13 ] and [ 14 ] play characters with seemingly supernatural powers in a popular film series.

Hugh Jackman, James Marsden (X-Men)

James Marsden, Kennedy

LBJ, Kennedy

[ 1 ] plays President [ 16 ] in a historical drama with a succinct name.

Tom Wilkinson, LBJ (Selma)

The Möbius strip:

[ ??? ] and [ 2 ] appear together in a 1990’s Best Picture nominee, set primarily in a prison.

Anthony Hopkins, Jodie Foster (The Silence of the Lambs)
James Cromwell, Tom Hanks (The Green Mile)

Jodie Foster, Natasha Richardson (Nell)
Tom Hanks, Robin Wright (Forrest Gump)

Natasha Richardson, Robert Duvall (The Handmaid's Tale)
Robin Wright, Albert Finney (The Playboys)

Gregory Peck, Robert Duvall (To Kill a Mockingbird), Jane Fonda (Old Gringo)
Sean Connery, Albert Finney (Murder on the Orient Express), Martin Balsam (The Anderson Tapes)

Jane Fonda (Coming Home)
Martin Balsam (Catch-22)

Gregory Peck (Arabesque)
Sean Connery (You Only Live Twice)

Gregory Peck
Sean Connery

Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck (Roman Holiday)
Edward Fox, Sean Connery (A Bridge Too Far)

Audrey Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn
Edward Fox, James Fox

Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn, Sidney Poitier (Guess Who's Coming to Dinner)
Ralph Richardson, James Fox, Andie MacDowell (Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan)

Sidney Poitier (The Jackal)
Andie MacDowell (Hudson Hawk)

Spencer Tracy, Ingrid Bergman (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde)
Ralph Richardson, Omar Sharif (Doctor Zhivago)

Ingrid Bergman, Humphrey Bogart (Casablanca)
Omar Sharif, Peter O'Toole (Lawrence of Arabia)

Humphrey Bogart (The Love Lottery)
Peter O'Toole (Casino Royale)

Robert Duvall, Gary Oldman (The Scarlet Letter)
Albert Finney, Owen Wilson (Breakfast of Champions)

Gary Oldman, Alan Rickman (Harry Potter)
Owen Wilson, Robin Williams (Night at the Museum)

Alan Rickman, Reagan
Robin Williams, Eisenhower

Bush, Reagan
Nixon, Eisenhower

[ ??? ] plays President [ 16 ] in a historical drama with a succinct name.

James Cromwell, George H.W. Bush (W.)
Anthony Hopkins, Nixon (Nixon)

It mostly works -- I'm sure Arabesque is wrong -- but let me know what the correct answers were.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Nice solving! (And thanks for sticking with it...)

Here are my intended answers, including Alice which is retroactively intended:

1. Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs)
2. Jodie Foster (Nell)
3. Natasha Richardson (The Handmaid’s Tale)
4. Robert Duvall (To Kill a Mockingbird)
5. Gregory Peck (The Chairman)
6. Orson Welles (Moby Dick)
> Jon Voight (Catch-22)
7. Audrey Hepburn (Roman Holiday)
8. Katherine Hepburn (Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner)
9. Spencer Tracy (Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde)
10. Sidney Poitier (The Jackal)
11. Ingrid Bergman (Casablanca)
12. Humphrey Bogart (The Love Lottery)
13. Gary Oldman (The Scarlet Letter)
14. Alan Rickman (Harry Potter series)
15. Ronald Reagan (Lee Daniels’ The Butler)
16. George H.W. Bush (VP turned President)
17. James Cromwell (W.)

OR

1. James Cromwell (The Green Mile)
2. Tom Hanks (Forrest Gump)
3. Robin Wright Penn (The Playboys)
4. Albert Finney (Murder on the Orient Express)
5. Sean Connery (Goldfinger)
6. Alec Baldwin (The Hunt for Red October)
> Jon Voight (Pearl Harbor)
7. Edward Fox (A Bridge Too Far)
8. James Fox (Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes)
9. Ralph Richardson (Doctor Zhivago)
10. Andie MacDowell (Hudson Hawk)
11. Omar Sharif (Lawrence of Arabia)
12. Peter O’Toole (Casino Royale)
13. Owen Wilson (Breakfast of Champions)
14. Robin Williams (Night at the Museum series)
15. Dwight D. Eisenhower (Lee Daniels’ The Butler)
16. Richard Nixon (VP turned President)
17. Anthony Hopkins (Nixon)

OR

1. Tom Wilkinson (In the Name of the Father)
2. Emma Thompson (Dead Again)
3. Kenneth Branagh (Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein)
4. Helena Bonham Carter (um... Alice in Wonderland)
5. Anne Hathaway (Get Smart)
6. Meryl Streep (The Devil Wears Prada)
> Jon Voight (The Manchurian Candidate)
7. Jake Gyllenhaal (Brokeback Mountain)
8. Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Dark Knight)
9. Heath Ledger (The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus)
10. Morgan Freeman (Lucky Number Slevin)
11. Christopher Plummer (The Sound of Music)
12. Julie Andrews (Trail of the Pink Panther)
13. Hugh Jackman (Les Misérables)
14. James Marsden (X-Men series)
15. John F. Kennedy (Lee Daniels’ The Butler)
16. Lyndon B. Johnson (VP turned President)
17. Tom Wilkinson (Selma)
Bill

Postby rockgolf » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:56 am

My brain hurts just from reading the answers.

Bill, how would you feel about me trying to adapt this into a Sporcle game format?
rockgolf

Postby Neel Mehta » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:40 pm

I noticed that something in the news right now could be stated as a variables puzzle. If you're at all familiar with the situation, it should be easy to solve.

Mr. A was once the head coach at University 1, where he coached players Mr. B and Mr. C.
Mr. A, Mr. B, and Mr. C have all been enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Mr. A and Mr. C each have the same first and last name as their respective fathers.

Mr. D is the son of Mr. A and has the same first and last name.
Mr. E is the son of Mr. B and has the same first and last name.
Mr. F is the son of Mr. C and has the same first and last name (but uses a nickname).

Mr. A and University 1 (with Mr. C as a player) nearly suffered one of the biggest NCAA Tournament upsets in history to University 2.
Mr. D played at University 2 and started his coaching career there as an assistant and then a head coach.

Mr. D eventually was hired as head coach of University 1.
Mr. E transferred into University 1, where he was coached by Mr. D.
Mr. D coached and Mr. E played their way into the Final Four, something University 1 had not done since Mr. A was a coach and Mr. B was a player.
Mr. E was later hired by University 1 to be part of Mr. D's staff.
Mr. E has a son with the same first and last name.

Mr. F enrolled in University 1, where he was coached by Mr. D, but in 2017 it was reported that he intends to transfer.
Mr. D was fired as head coach by University 1 in 2017 and replaced by Mr. B.
Mr. B cannot retain his son, Mr. E, on his staff because University 1 has an anti-nepotism clause.
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:04 pm

rockgolf wrote:Bill, how would you feel about me trying to adapt this into a Sporcle game format?

Go for it. I'd love to see the results.

Neel Mehta wrote:If you're at all familiar with the situation, it should be easy to solve.

I could not name one college basketball player or coach. The puzzle looks cool, though.
Bill

Postby grodney » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:54 am

Good one, Neel. I knew 4 (ABDE) of the 6 immediately and of course University 1. Had to cheat/google a little to come up with the other 2 and the 2nd University, so I obviously learned some things from you I didn't know (such as Mr D's playing and early coaching career and Mr C's son).
grodney

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum