Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Ken in the Media

Ken is the author of Because I Said So!, Maphead, Brainiac, and Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac.

Postby Lilly » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:17 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:Actually, he was wrong. I'll probably blog about that today.

Ha ha! I was wondering. But he at least he got to jump around like an idiot and pretend he was smarter than you. :) Oops, did I say that?

And after hearing your NPR interview, I'm dying to know if you got those two "audience questions" on the Early Show wrong on purpose.
Lilly

Postby gameshowcongress » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:33 pm

Braniac is up to #78 on Amazon this afternoon, just below "Running With Scissors" and a book on Toltec wisdom.
gameshowcongress

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:24 pm

Peaked at #63 today, I think. Choke on that, Toltecs.

I didn't know the first capital of Indiana question. Still don't know, because I couldn't hear the answer. I do know about the etymological controversy over the "Big Apple" origin, from a Straight Dope column, but wasn't sure which answer she meant, so I demurred. This makes a pretty convincing case that her showbiz answer was wrong.

The respective shows don't have anything on their websites, but tomorrow (Thursday) I'll be on Fox & Friends, American Morning, The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch, Showbiz Today, and Glenn Beck on Headline News.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby polarea » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:42 pm

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #87 in Books
Amazon.ca Sales Rank: #7,051 in Books
Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: #107,553 in Books
Classement parmi les ventes Amazon.fr: Non

As of about 11:30 pm Toronto time, just when I'm missing Ken's Colbert debut because of lack of cable. Darn. Hopefully Colbert will graciously host the interview on his site.

Ken's Canadian Sales Rank is quite shocking, and a good sign that the Canadian market is being under-marketed to, since we all love Alex Trebek and Ken Jennings, and as far as I know there is no significant difference between Canadian and US viewership of Jeopardy. Alright, I admit, this is nothing but a selfish attempt to convince Ken to stop in Toronto so he can sign my book (when I get my arse over to Indigo! to buy a copy as a reward for getting all my boxes unpacked.)

:wink:

Edit: is there an edition in which Ken carefully put all the extra U's to satisfy our national patriotic sensibility that there are real and significant differences between Canada and the US?
polarea

Postby Ken Jennings » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:19 am

There will be a Canadian media day on September 24, but they couldn't schedule a signing because, apparently, I have to fly to Atlanta that night.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby gvonk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:00 am

Ken Jennings wrote:There will be a Canadian media day on September 24, but they couldn't schedule a signing because, apparently, I have to fly to Atlanta that night.

What are you doing in Atlanta the next day? (Not in the stalker sense, I was wondering if you had any local media scheduled for the 25th before your signing...)
gvonk

Postby colonial » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:36 am

Mr. Jennings will be interviewed on CNN Pipeline this afternoon at 4p ET.

Check it out at www.cnn.com/pipeline

Note: this is a pay service, but it's only 99 cents -- cheaper than a gallon of gas!

James
colonial

Postby PamelaJaye » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:50 pm

The respective shows don't have anything on their websites, but tomorrow (Thursday) I'll be on Fox & Friends, American Morning, The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch, Showbiz Today, and Glenn Beck on Headline News.

Darn. Didn't check in last night. Missed the morning shows...
Found a Showbiz Tonight, but not "Today."

In the meantime, Ken, you managed to aid in my quest to see Zach Braff's promo appearances: he was on.. well, whatever you were on yesterday, early morning. I've had to actually stop watching the clips he brings with him -- they're always different and I'm afraid I'll have seen the whole darn movie before it comes out ;)

Tonight I'll have a brain and check back in later. Nice to see you on TV again, for however long. (and I caught up on the blog today, but that's a story in itself, and belongs in another topic)
Pam from Boston
http://www.bakulanews.com
Scott Bakula -- Latest Appearances and News
PamelaJaye

Postby Ken Jennings » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:33 pm

Oops, my mistake. It is Showbiz Tonight. Probably too late now.

Also, the Donny Deutsch thing turned out to be taped for use next week, so keep an eye out then.

Tomorrow's only national TV thing, The Most with Alison Stewart, is taped in advance for later use, I believe.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Just watched the Glenn Beck interview. Wow, he really sounded like a jerk until the very end. And from where did he pull a question about tithing? He seemed kind of obsessed with your money, lol.
Lilly

Postby PamelaJaye » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:13 pm

There's another airing of Showbiz Tonight at 11

-- hopefully the same one, but I don't know their schedule. I thought I'd programmed the earlier one, but my guess is that between Glenn Beck at 7 and Jeopardy at 7:30, it probably got conflicted and didn't scream loud enough to get noticed. Hoping that the brother will find some time to upgrade to a newer version of mythtv sometime before, say... 2010.. It was supposed to have been done in May
Pam from Boston
PamelaJaye

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:23 am

I just found out the Alison Stewart thing will actually air today.

I also think I'm scheduled for something called CNN Saturday, to air...wait for it...Saturday. (Tomorrow.)
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Lilly » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:10 am

Looks like Ken is on CNN Saturday Live at 2:00...I think.
Lilly

Postby PamelaJaye » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:24 am

thanks Lilly. there were so many similarly titled options last night that I just gave up.
Pam from Boston
PamelaJaye

Postby Lilly » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:14 am

Yeah, I ended up recording and fast forwarding through a couple duds. "Nope, no Ken...okay, delete this one." I'm watching right now, and the 2:00-3:00 is definitely the right one. I'm guessing Ken will be near the end, probably around :45 or so. That seems to be when they usually have the interviews.
Lilly

Postby gameshowcongress » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:18 pm

Another Ken spotting: Friday October 13th and subsequent Friday's until ??? on 1vs100

NBC announced Wednesday that it will roll out a the new game show, "1 vs. 100," for a five-week run on Fridays starting Oct. 13. It will debut at 9 p.m. ET, following an episode of "Deal or No Deal," then move to 8 p.m. the following week and serve as a lead-in for the season premiere of "Las Vegas."
gameshowcongress

Ken Chat, 1:15 Central, October 3

Postby MFalk » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:13 am

Hi all,

Ken's doing a chat with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel this afternoon. Yay, Milwaukee! You can submit a question and then read the chat at this link:
http://www2.jsonline.com/chat/chat.asp?id=jennings

Best,
-Michael Falk
MFalk

Ken on NBC on Friday

Postby gameshowcongress » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:32 am

from http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent ... 1003188251

NBC Moves Up 1 vs. 100 to Oct. 13

Hoping to avoid an onslaught of new network game shows later this fall, NBC announced it would move up its premiere of game show 1 vs. 100 to Friday, Oct. 13, from a launch scheduled for later in the 4th quarter.

The five-episode series, hosted by comic Bob Saget, will debut at 9 p.m. leading out of Deal or No Deal. The following week, it will move to its regular Friday night time slot at 8 p.m.

From Endemol USA, 1 vs. 100 allows contestants to win up to $1 million by correctly answering trivia questions, while a "mob" of 100 answers them incorrectly. The show already has succeeded in countries including Sweden, Belgium and Holland.
gameshowcongress

Re: Ken on NBC on Friday

Postby econgator » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:20 am

gameshowcongress wrote:from http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent ... 1003188251

NBC Moves Up 1 vs. 100 to Oct. 13

Hoping to avoid an onslaught of new network game shows later this fall, NBC announced it would move up its premiere of game show 1 vs. 100 to Friday, Oct. 13, from a launch scheduled for later in the 4th quarter.

The five-episode series, hosted by comic Bob Saget, will debut at 9 p.m. leading out of Deal or No Deal. The following week, it will move to its regular Friday night time slot at 8 p.m.

From Endemol USA, 1 vs. 100 allows contestants to win up to $1 million by correctly answering trivia questions, while a "mob" of 100 answers them incorrectly. The show already has succeeded in countries including Sweden, Belgium and Holland.

Sadly, NBC is putting this up against Battlestar Galactica (which, oddly, they also own). For me, BSG always wins.
econgator

Re: Ken on NBC on Friday

Postby PamelaJaye » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:48 am

someone whose attribution I lost wrote:
Sadly, NBC is putting this up against Battlestar Galactica (which, oddly, they also own). For me, BSG always wins.

I once had Les Moonves cancel two shows on me *in the same timeslot.* I
m not fond of Les. And yes, I know, that's CBS/CW (I thought WC would have been better) not NBC/Universal/Bravo/WhateverElseItIsThisWeek but still...

My DVR still only has two tuners, but I think I can fit it in ;) -- Fridays are slow since the aforementioned Les action.
thanks
Pam from Boston
PamelaJaye

4 quick 1v100 "Last Man Standing" questions - non

Postby gameshowcongress » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:22 pm

Ken,

1. Did you get podium number 13 again?

2. Was there more than one 1? (ok so it's a very minor potential spoiler....)

3. Did the 1 (or 1's) get to ask someone for more info ala the regular show?

4. Do you know a broadcast date?
gameshowcongress

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:48 pm

I hear the airdate is February 3. I can probably talk more about format closer to that date.

I lost lucky number 13 to a nun.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby IndySOG03 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:41 am

From the people mentioned in the post (Duke, Rutter, you), it sounds like they're planning a sort of Ultimate Mob for sweeps, comprised of folks who have done well or famous folks who've been in the mob. Perchance we might be on the lookout for celebrity 1's as well?

Do we get any hints on how well the "Just Pick 'B' " Strategy worked this time? :wink:
Forever in a constant struggle to find the perfect signature.
IndySOG03

Postby cadams35 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:30 am

IndySOG03 wrote:From the people mentioned in the post (Duke, Rutter, you), it sounds like they're planning a sort of Ultimate Mob for sweeps, comprised of folks who have done well or famous folks who've been in the mob. Perchance we might be on the lookout for celebrity 1's as well?

Do we get any hints on how well the "Just Pick 'B' " Strategy worked this time? :wink:

My guess on that is that it works...I used the strategy on my semester exam yesterday...I think I got an A, and about 40% of my answers were B...most of those were on ones I guessed on.
This is not a signature.
cadams35

Friday Feb 9th.

Postby gameshowcongress » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:57 pm

Back to Ken in the media....

Friday Feb 9th on 1vs100...

Episode Detail: 1 vs 100 - 1 vs 100
Mob members square off among themselves for $250,000. Participants include game-show titans Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter (“Jeopardy!”) and Nancy Christy and Kevin Olmstead (“Who Wants to Be a Millionaire”); and professional poker ace Annie Duke. Also: Ivy League grads and rocket scientists.

reference:
http://www.tvguide.com/detail/tv-show.a ... id=6293434
gameshowcongress

Previous

Return to Books