Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Maphead

Ken is the author of Because I Said So!, Maphead, Brainiac, and Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac.

Maphead

Postby tcarey6578 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:11 am

While on a plane to Boston, I was reading US Airways magazine to pass the time and came across an article on your new book, Maphead. It was listed as a Must Read and after finishing the article, I'm putting it on my own personal Must Read list. During the vacation, my host took me to The Mapparium, a three story painted glass globe that gives a 3 dimentional perspective of the world of 1935. While there, I had to wonder if you had ever been there. With your love of maps - I'd say that if not, you definitely have to get there! The Mapparium is part of the Mary Baker Eddy Library, 200 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, MA
tcarey6578

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue May 31, 2011 10:17 am

Love the Mapparium! Can't believe I never heard of it until recently. It's actually in Chapter 11 of Maphead. (Well, a mention of it. The whole Mapparium wouldn't fit.)
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby rockgolf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:45 pm

I remember seeing that in Boston 20 years ago. You actually walk inside the globe and see the globe from the inside. (So if you saw the Mapparium from the usual viewpoint, all the countries and writing would be in mirror image.

If you can't imagine that, perhaps this will help (click to expand):

rockgolf

Postby econgator » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:12 pm

Just pre-ordered my Kindle version today!
econgator

Postby heyrockyGA » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:40 am

Are there maps in the hardcover edition that might not translate well to the Kindle version? While I am a fully converted digital book reader, this seems like one book that might be better to have in its true form.
heyrockyGA

Postby WhoisMark » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:57 am

I received this from Amazon.com today:

Hello,

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

Ken Jennings "Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks"
Previous estimated arrival date: September 22 2011
New estimated arrival date: September 20 2011

That's the way to treat a Prime member. Is it time to add the latest book to this section of the message board to join the previous titles?
WhoisMark

Postby Ken Jennings » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:56 am

Good point! Added.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

The West Wing Map Scene

Postby jackjen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:19 am

Just wondering if you've ever seen this scene of 'The West Wing.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8zBC2dvERM&feature=player_embedded
jackjen

Re: The West Wing Map Scene

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:26 am

jackjen wrote:Just wondering if you've ever seen this scene of 'The West Wing.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8zBC2dvERM&feature=player_embedded

I always think about that scene every time I see a Gall-Peters projection or an upside-down map. Both are in MAPHEAD!

Today's Woot piece also made one commenter think about the "Congress for Map Equality" or whatever it's called.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:28 am

heyrockyGA wrote:Are there maps in the hardcover edition that might not translate well to the Kindle version? While I am a fully converted digital book reader, this seems like one book that might be better to have in its true form.

Just realized I never replied to this. The book has somewhere between 10-20 illustrations, mostly maps. In my mind, that's probably not enough to change your format of choice, even if they look slightly better in dead-tree form. But I haven't see the e-versions up close yet, so what do I know.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby baronworm » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:19 am

Ken Jennings wrote:
heyrockyGA wrote:Are there maps in the hardcover edition that might not translate well to the Kindle version? While I am a fully converted digital book reader, this seems like one book that might be better to have in its true form.

Just realized I never replied to this. The book has somewhere between 10-20 illustrations, mostly maps. In my mind, that's probably not enough to change your format of choice, even if they look slightly better in dead-tree form. But I haven't see the e-versions up close yet, so what do I know.

I am also torn about this, and will hold off on my purchase (if I can resist, that is...) until I know whether the e-version handles the illustrations well.

So when someone knows the answer to this, do please let us know in this thread!

AtDhVaAnNkCsE !
baronworm

Postby Lilly » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:41 am

Just finished reading the Kindle version and the illustrations seem to come through fine (other than the mistake in the first illustration being discussed elsewhere). I don't have a paper copy to compare to, but you can zoom each illustration to full "page" on the Kindle, so I'm assuming that would be close to the same size as in "dead-tree form". They would likely be clearer on paper, but they are definitely visible enough on Kindle. There are a few I would like to see more detail on (like on Benjamin Salman's map of Islandia, you can't really see clearly enough to read any of the writing).
Lilly

Postby themanwho » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:07 am

Here's a guy who must think that Maphead really does have a treasure map printed on the inside of the dust jacket:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

-M
themanwho

Postby WhoisMark » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:44 pm

The front page of the site has the tag for "Pre-order now!" Is it time to give that an update? I received a second book yesterday that I also pre-orderd. Ken, could you do a funny blog post about you vs. Florence Henderson?
WhoisMark

Timely tie-in

Postby tOdd » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Ken, are you mentioning the rather large chunk of space debris (NASA's UARS satellite) hurtling toward Earth, probably landing on Friday, no one's sure where, while you're plugging your book about maps and geography? Seems that if anything is going to make Joe Keg (formerly Joe Six-Pack) want to look at a map of the world, it's to find out if Armageddon is heading their way.
If ignorance isn't bliss, I don't know what is!
tOdd

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Yeah, I should finally get around to updating the "pre-order!" stuff by Friday.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby aristotle » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:09 am

Congrats to Ken on the book! Amazon has now ranked it up to 30th! That's up nine spots! :D
Thing are never as bad as they seem-- Frank Sinatra
aristotle

Postby hd5032 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Got my copy in the mail today. I went with the paper version, instead of the Kindle version. I thought there might be a lot of maps in it that would be better in the "real" version. Loving it so far.

Whenever I think of maps, I think of this cartoon. This is EXACTLY what my attraction to maps is. I love the possibilities they represent.

http://arloandjanis.com/?p=538
hd5032

Postby aristotle » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:49 pm

That is a great link! I hope to get my copy soon :D
Thing are never as bad as they seem-- Frank Sinatra
aristotle

Sylvie & Bruno

Postby charlyk » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Thanks to Amazon Prime, I got a physical copy shipped to my front door yesterday for no shipping fee! Stayed up all night reading it, finished it today. I was intrigued to see Sylvie and Bruno mentioned, as I had first heard of them in Stanislas Dehaene's The Number Sense, which I also finished this week!
charlyk

Postby braggtastic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:39 am

I ordered my copy opening day, and even though I requested 2 day shipping from Amazon, it was delivered the next day. I can think of at least two friends who would love this book; I think it's going to be my go-to gift for the holidays this year.
braggtastic

Postby themanwho » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:56 am

Is the reference to "Pigeon Force, Tennessee" on page 155 a typo, or is that a real place?
themanwho

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:50 am

Argh...just checked the manuscript and I've had that wrong since the first draft. Pretty weird how you can read something dozens of times and never see the typo. Thanks.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Muskrat » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:47 am

Just finished, and I agree with all the good stuff people are saying. The book is a charming, thoughtful, nicely observed, slightly bemused take on things geographic. I especially liked the shout-out to Breezewood, PA, which I have passed through many times, always in awe of the sheer piratical glory of the place. The only thing more aggressively designed to separate travelers form their cash would be a system of false lights for wreckers to lure cars into crashing so the locals could loot the wreckage.

I have to say, though, after reading the geocaching bit, I decided to try it while on a brief vacation on Cape Cod. My phone app showed a site near where I was staying. I followed the somewhat erratic directions, looked around, and spotted the "cache" -- a 35 mm film canister. I felt.... nothing. I mean, I'd basically followed a blinking arrow. Clearly, geocaching needs to be "spiced" up, probably along the Breezewood model -- ad men can hide coupons or special offers in "caches" conveniently placed to lead searchers up to the doors of the business. "Hey, look! I can get 2-for-1 on fleeces ... right over there at the L L Bean!" or just cut straight to the drug dealing aspect -- "thanks for the $20. Your crack is at location XX.XXXX, YYY.YYYY."

Just spitballing here.
Muskrat

Postby ModernMinerva » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:52 am

I got my copy in the mail yesterday, and was absolutely shocked to find that someone had drawn and written all over the title page! I showed my boyfriend, and he insisted it was "supposed to be like that." I don't know what to think of this!

:)
ModernMinerva

Next

Return to Books