Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Movie Trivia: Actors Appearing in 2+ Trilogies

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Postby Dobie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm

William Powell was in the Thin Man and Philo Vance movies.
Dobie
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:36 pm

Postby econgator » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:09 pm

rockgolf wrote:Could you count John Cleese for the Monty Python & James Bond series?


Cleese was only in 2 Bond movies (and the Python movies aren't a trilogy).
econgator
 
Posts: 3632
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Postby skullturfq » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:11 pm

Dobie wrote:George Sanders was in the Saint and Falcon movies.


Two movie trilogies sharing names with NFL teams.
skullturfq
 
Posts: 3871
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Delaware

Postby bca102 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:04 pm

Vin Diesel has played Richard Riddick in Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick, and voice acted in the straight to DVD animated Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury. He was also in 3 of the Fast & Furious movies.

Also, when Shrek 4 comes out next year Antonio Banderas will qualify along with the Spy Kids series.
bca102
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:05 pm

Postby bca102 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:24 pm

Frank Oz for the voice of Yoda in the Star Wars series, and a whole bunch of voices in the Muppets movies
bca102
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:05 pm

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri May 01, 2009 1:38 am

Ken Jennings wrote:I'd be surprised if there aren't any Harry Potter actors on this list, but I can't think of any.


Depends. Do they have to appear in at least 3 films of a pair of movie series, or can they dabble in a franchise once or twice?

For example, Robbie Coltrane is in all Harry Potter movies, and also appeared in Ocean's Twelve. He also did 2 of the Brosnan Bond movies, GoldenEye and The World Is Not Enough. Finally, he did some movie called Henry V, but I can't find the first four films of that series.

If we stick to franchise dabbling, the aforementioned John Cleese is probably the biggest sellout among living actors, being part of The Pink Panther, Shrek, Charlie's Angels, Harry Potter, George of the Jungle, and James Bond. I'm leaving out Monty Python and A Fish Called Wanda/Fierce Creatures, since he helped create those.
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Postby Dobie » Fri May 01, 2009 4:48 am

econgator wrote:
I was looking for another, but Gary Oldman still needs one more Batman movie.



So does Michael Caine.
Dobie
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:36 pm

Postby themanwho » Fri May 01, 2009 6:06 am

Bill wrote:Ghostbusters III has also been announced, which would put Rick Moranis on the list. (He also did the "Honey" movies.)


Moranis has retired from acting, and according to most reports will not be in GB3.

-M
themanwho
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:21 am
Location: Sioux Falls, SD

Postby Dobie » Fri May 01, 2009 7:17 am

Ann Rutherford was in the "Whistling" movies and the Andy Hardy movies.
Dobie
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:36 pm

Postby lavyboy » Fri May 01, 2009 7:37 am

Another close call: Emelio Estevez. Has the Mighty Duck Trilogy, but lacks either a Young Guns III or third Stakeout movie.
lavyboy
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:39 am

Postby jbenz » Fri May 01, 2009 7:59 am

lavyboy wrote:Another close call: Emelio Estevez. Has the Mighty Duck Trilogy, but lacks either a Young Guns III or third Stakeout movie.


His brother is the king of being in sequels, but never making that third movie.

Hot Shots
Young Guns
Major League (He did not appear in Back to the Minors)

He was also in two of the Scary Movies.
jbenz
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Postby tchikovsky » Fri May 01, 2009 11:58 am

another close call: Mike Myers
Austin Powers 1, 2, 3
Waynes World 1, 2
tchikovsky
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 11:42 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Postby tchikovsky » Fri May 01, 2009 12:28 pm

A few more close calls
Danny Glover (Lethal Weapon, Saw and Saw V)
Morgan Freeman (Bruce/Evan Almighty, Batman series - theres a chance he will make another in each)
Kal Penn (Harold and Kumar, Van Wilder)
Bob Deniro (Analyze This/That, Fockers)
Sandra Bullock (Speed 1/2, Miss Congeniality)
tchikovsky
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 11:42 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Postby jbenz » Fri May 01, 2009 12:38 pm

tchikovsky wrote:another close call: Mike Myers
Austin Powers 1, 2, 3
Waynes World 1, 2


I think you might have missed Shrek and Braggtastic's earlier post.
jbenz
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Postby Craig S. Cottingham » Fri May 01, 2009 1:48 pm

tchikovsky wrote:Sandra Bullock (Speed 1/2, Miss Congeniality)


And let's sincerely hope she never makes another sequel to either of those.
Craig S. Cottingham
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:53 pm
Location: Olathe, KS

Postby rickdz » Fri May 01, 2009 6:40 pm

Mickey rooney in andy hardy and Mickey MacQuire Movies
rickdz
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Postby rickdz » Sat May 02, 2009 4:11 am

Sydney Poiter in the Uptown Saturday Night movies and Mr. Tibbs movies
rickdz
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Postby Bill » Sat May 02, 2009 2:30 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:Robbie Coltrane <snip> did some movie called Henry V, but I can't find the first four films of that series.


Funny.

Of course, the play that the film is based on is the last play in a tetralogy.

And that tetralogy was a prequel to another tetralogy. (Like the later Star Wars trilogy was a prequel to the original Star Wars trilogy.)

Can anyone name a character that was in all four plays in one of the tetralogies?
Bill
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Postby ArtVark » Sun May 03, 2009 12:21 am

Bill wrote:
Neel Mehta wrote:Robbie Coltrane <snip> did some movie called Henry V, but I can't find the first four films of that series.


Funny.

Of course, the play that the film is based on is the last play in a tetralogy.

And that tetralogy was a prequel to another tetralogy. (Like the later Star Wars trilogy was a prequel to the original Star Wars trilogy.)

Can anyone name a character that was in all four plays in one of the tetralogies?



Falstaff?
ArtVark
 
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Pacific Palisades, Ca.

Postby Sequin » Sun May 03, 2009 2:30 am

tchikovsky wrote:Morgan Freeman (Bruce/Evan Almighty, Batman series - theres a chance he will make another in each)


Also his role as Alex Cross - Kiss The Girls and Along Came a Spider
================================================
I'm an optoholic - my glass is always half full of Vodka!
================================================
Sequin
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:29 am
Location: Liverpool UK

Postby Bill » Sun May 03, 2009 9:55 am

ArtVark wrote:
Bill wrote:
Neel Mehta wrote:Robbie Coltrane <snip> did some movie called Henry V, but I can't find the first four films of that series.


Funny.

Of course, the play that the film is based on is the last play in a tetralogy.

And that tetralogy was a prequel to another tetralogy. (Like the later Star Wars trilogy was a prequel to the original Star Wars trilogy.)

Can anyone name a character that was in all four plays in one of the tetralogies?



Falstaff?


Nope. Falstaff was in two plays in one of the tetralogies, and a third play that wasn't part of either tetralogy.
Bill
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:32 am
Location: New York City

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon May 04, 2009 10:38 pm

Here's one we forgot:

Bruce Campbell has appeared in 3 Evil Dead movies and 3 Spider-Man movies. Not only that, but (according to IMDb) he's supplied a voice to each franchise's corresponding trilogy of video games.
Neel Mehta
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Postby econgator » Tue May 05, 2009 5:31 pm

Neel Mehta wrote:Bruce Campbell has appeared in 3 Evil Dead movies and 3 Spider-Man movies. Not only that, but (according to IMDb) he's supplied a voice to each franchise's corresponding trilogy of video games.


I've played them all. It's true (in Spiderman, his voice is the one that guides you through the tutorials).
econgator
 
Posts: 3632
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Postby jbenz » Wed May 06, 2009 8:38 am

Apparently this is a real (short) film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354351/

Which kinda gives Chevy Chase (Vacation) entrance into the club.
jbenz
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Postby Rex Kramer » Wed May 06, 2009 8:48 am

Michael York (The Three/Four/Return of the Musketeers and the Austin Powers series).

Rex
Rex Kramer
 
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:51 am

PreviousNext

Return to Main Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests