Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Maphead Kindle version

Ken is the author of Because I Said So!, Maphead, Brainiac, and Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac.

Maphead Kindle version

Postby richard_brust » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:50 pm

Posted this on Amazon, maybe someone here can answer as well:

Thought this would be a great book to get on my Kindle, but when viewing the Sample on a Kindle, and comparing it to "Look Inside" on the print version, the first image I came across (where it compares state shapes to other countries) was different.

- Look Inside/Print version had Wisconsin, Lake Michigan, South Carolina, and California.
- Kindle Sample has South Carolina and California duplicated.

I was ready to purchase this book until I saw the differences, which took all of 10 seconds. Can someone explain why a) this was overlooked, or b) if it's supposed to be this way, why?

I do not want a substandard copy on the Kindle. Thanks...
richard_brust

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:22 pm

I forwarded this to my editor...thanks for pointing it out. It's certainly an error made by whoever did the Kindle-encoding.

Even when this gets fixed in future e-books downloads, I'm not sure the best way to get it fixed for you...that's probably a question for Amazon. Pretty much all I can offer to do is send you a paper copy, which presumably you don't want or you wouldn't have bought the Kindle version!

That said, Maphead now has a 2-star Amazon review because of your review...and you haven't even read the book! This is pretty clearly an issue for customer service, not for a book review.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby gameshowcongress » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:43 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:I forwarded this to my editor...thanks for pointing it out. It's certainly an error made by whoever did the Kindle-encoding.

Even when this gets fixed in future e-books downloads, I'm not sure the best way to get it fixed for you...that's probably a question for Amazon. Pretty much all I can offer to do is send you a paper copy, which presumably you don't want or you wouldn't have bought the Kindle version!

That said, Maphead now has a 2-star Amazon review because of your review...and you haven't even read the book! This is pretty clearly an issue for customer service, not for a book review.

Perhaps you will get a better review if Mr. Brust sends you his Kindle to have it signed...
gameshowcongress

Postby Lilly » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:I forwarded this to my editor...thanks for pointing it out. It's certainly an error made by whoever did the Kindle-encoding.

I think you can download an updated version, when it comes out, if you already bought the original version http://techinch.com/2010/08/13/amazon-t ... dle-books/
Lilly

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:06 pm

That is very good intel, Lilly, thanks. (Also for the review!)
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby richard_brust » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:29 pm

Sorry, I thought I was reviewing just the Kindle version (Kindle=Amazon=Review) - I'll see if I can edit it...

richard_brust

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:38 am

My editor tells me that "a revised file has just been archived" which I assume means the illustration is fixed on Amazon. And thanks you for pointing it out!
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby econgator » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:53 am

Not sure if there is another place for typos, but I found one in Chapter 7 (the opening sentence). It reads as follows:

Her name is Lilly Gaskin, and she knows where Tukmenigland" will not bestan and Bolivia and Ghana are.
econgator

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks! For a brief moment I had the heart-stopping fear that this was in the paper version too. It's not.

I will gt Simon & Schuster to fix.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby econgator » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:14 pm

So, what should that sentence read? I'm guessing something like:

Her name is Lilly Gaskin, and she knows where Tukmenistan and Bolivia and Ghana are.
econgator

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Exactly right. The print copy has a hyphen in Turkmeni-

stan at that point, which is presumably where the encoding error happened.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Return to Books