Ken Jennings

Message Boards

A long-awaited blog comment enabling thread

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

A long-awaited blog comment enabling thread

Postby SilverC » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:55 pm

"Sun Valley may be located in the second ugliest state of the union (sorry, Wyoming!) but it’s actually quite scenic up here."

Ken, Ken, Ken. As a Wyoming girl, I always thought Utah was where people moved when they couldn't find a place to live in Teton County. Okay, that may be slightly inaccurate, but I do think Wyoming -- and its northwest corner, in particular -- is some of God's best work. (I do concede a few miles of nothingness here and there to the east, but as Mies Van Der Rohe pointed out, "Less is more.")
SilverC

Re: A long-awaited blog comment enabling thread

Postby BryceI » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:45 am

SilverC wrote:"Sun Valley may be located in the second ugliest state of the union (sorry, Wyoming!) but it’s actually quite scenic up here."

Ken, Ken, Ken. As a Wyoming girl, I always thought Utah was where people moved when they couldn't find a place to live in Teton County. Okay, that may be slightly inaccurate, but I do think Wyoming -- and its northwest corner, in particular -- is some of God's best work. (I do concede a few miles of nothingness here and there to the east, but as Mies Van Der Rohe pointed out, "Less is more.")

The part of Wyoming that I-80 cuts through is not good advertising for the state. I always try to drive it at night, so I don't have to look out the window.
BryceI

Re: A long-awaited blog comment enabling thread

Postby Ken Jennings » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:04 am

SilverC wrote:"Sun Valley may be located in the second ugliest state of the union (sorry, Wyoming!) but it’s actually quite scenic up here."

Just doing my best to alienate my readership one state at a time. You're next, North Dakota.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby TomK » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:14 am

Allow me to help with a story from back in 1987:

At that time, the latest social lightning bug in Washington was the wife of the Canadian ambassador. Being a polisci student at American U at the time, I daily read the Post, lousy newsprint ink and all. The dear lady stated in an interview that the general perception of Canadians was that the United States consistently ignored their northern neighbor, with a sentence that always stuck in my head:

"We deserve attention. Maybe we should invade South Dakota or something."

As brilliant as you are, Ken; I don't think you can top that snub.
"You've committed one of the classic blunders. The first, of course, is never get involved in a land war in Asia."
TomK

Return to Main Forum