Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Help! Who are the final seven?

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Help! Who are the final seven?

Postby rockgolf » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:31 pm

I've got a Sporcle quiz that uses the "Capsule" artwork of Greg Guillemin (with the artist's permission, no less!) that uses minimalist art to represent 315 persons or characters, often in groups. With a lot of research & crowdsourcing I've been able to conclusively identify all but 6 of the icons.

The artist is French, so it's probable that the remaining seven (identified by the answers "Who is this?" when you start the quiz) are characters or people better known in France than elsewhere.

So any of you identify any of the remaining icons?

Image (This seems to show only the middle of the picture. If you click on it, you'll see them all.)

And if you want to try the other 309, here's the LINK to the game
rockgolf

Postby pinkfreud » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:09 pm

A couple of guesses: #1 might be Roy Orbison and #2 might be Ozzy Osbourne.
pinkfreud

Postby rkd » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:57 am

pinkfreud wrote:A couple of guesses: #1 might be Roy Orbison and #2 might be Ozzy Osbourne.

ROy Orbison doesn't seem right because of the hair. Ozzy seems plausible, but did he wear that makeup above and below the eyes? That looks really familiar, but I can't find it in a quick image search.

#3 (the blue/white) is probably William Wallace or Mel Gibson.
rkd

Postby rkd » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:32 am

rkd wrote:
pinkfreud wrote:A couple of guesses: #1 might be Roy Orbison and #2 might be Ozzy Osbourne.

ROy Orbison doesn't seem right because of the hair. Ozzy seems plausible, but did he wear that makeup above and below the eyes? That looks really familiar, but I can't find it in a quick image search.

#3 (the blue/white) is probably William Wallace or Mel Gibson.

On second thought, it looks like there's already a William Wallace, so I don't think I have any of these. The first two and last two seem very familiar, but I can't quite place any of them.
rkd

Postby porpoise spit » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:56 pm

#4 looks like Wilford Brimley. I'm sure it's not, but that was my first thought.
porpoise spit

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Alice Cooper did the eye makeup like that.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby skullturfq » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:19 am

I think #4 might be Gandhi. (I also thought of Teddy Roosevelt, and Wilford Brimley was mentioned above as well, but I'm going with Gandhi).

And I bet you #1 is supposed to be Roy Orbison, even though it was said above that the hair isn't quite right.
skullturfq

Postby rockgolf » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:11 am

I ended up writing to the artist and he was kind enough to reply.

The icons are (L to R) Bob Dylan (young), The Crow, Silver Surfer, Gandhi (well done, Skullturfq), the artist's own son (boo!), and Captain Marvel. (Presumably the Jim Starlin era Mar-Vell, not the golden age Billy Batson)
rockgolf

Return to Main Forum