Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Record high temperatures by state

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Record high temperatures by state

Postby skullturfq » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:16 am

In most US states, the highest temperature ever recorded is above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. However, there are two states where the highest temperature recorded is 100 F on the nose, or in other words, the temperature has never exceeded 100 F.

One of those two states is Alaska. What's the other one?
skullturfq

Postby marpocky » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:33 am

One of my favorite pieces of US state trivia.
marpocky

Postby econgator » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:51 am

Due to its location, I'd guess Hawaii.

ETA:: Which guess I find to be correct. Even more interesting is that it was set in April, making it one of only two states not to have set its record high in Jun, Jul, or Aug (Alabama - Sept).

And just to thrown in a little more trivia, the most recent a state has set its record high was 1995 (CT) and the majority of states (35) set theirs prior to 1940.
econgator

Postby skullturfq » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:31 pm

That's correct.

Naively, one might forget all about that state, because one thinks "hot", but of course you're never very far from the ocean.

In the winter of 2010-11, if I remember correctly there was a time that there was snow on the ground in 49 of the 50 states.

I tried to guess which was the one state with no snow. At first I guessed Hawaii, but of course they have mountains. The answer was Florida.

I managed to find a link. It was January 2011.
skullturfq

Postby marpocky » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:49 pm

skullturfq wrote:That's correct.

Naively, one might forget all about that state, because one thinks "hot", but of course you're never very far from the ocean.

In the winter of 2010-11, if I remember correctly there was a time that there was snow on the ground in 49 of the 50 states.

I tried to guess which was the one state with no snow. At first I guessed Hawaii, but of course they have mountains. The answer was Florida.

I managed to find a link. It was January 2011.

I remember that, because my entire family (besides me...) was in the snow-less state at the time.
marpocky

Postby j » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:06 am

Hawaii is also the only state to have never had a temperature below 0 Fahrenheit (actually the lowest temp on the list I found was 12 degrees). Which means that in recorded history, it's had only an 88-degree range of temperature!
j

Postby skullturfq » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:25 am

j wrote:Hawaii is also the only state to have never had a temperature below 0 Fahrenheit (actually the lowest temp on the list I found was 12 degrees). Which means that in recorded history, it's had only an 88-degree range of temperature!

That's impressive.

If we restrict our attention to just a city rather than a whole state, we might be able to find more examples.

In my home town of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, the highest temperature ever recorded was 36.0 °C (96.8 °F) and the lowest temperature ever recorded was -16 °C (3.2 °F). So we've never been 0 or 100.

Obviously, if one moves further south, one can find places with much less temperature variation.

I wonder which location in the world holds the record for the smallest variation between hottest ever temperature and coldest ever temperature?

Here are some candidates:

Aruba
Seychelles
skullturfq

Return to Main Forum